Brake Pad replacements

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMRoadRunner

A Bulls work is never done!
Reaction score
And while your at it, do all new sets come in pairs? I know the front has 4 pads, but I only see one part number, so do I order 2 sets for the front, because Damn they get expensive when you have to buy 3 sets.( 2 front and 1 rear) Just checking with you pros before I place my order.

I just learned the hard way, don't buy EBC :(

OEM pads come in sets of 2; and no, they are not overly kind to your wallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of Carbone Loraines that Gary McKoy talked me into. Haven't mounted them, but he swears they're the greatest thing since sliced bread (not that I ever thought sliced bread was great, mind you).

But I trust Gary implicitly.

OEM pads are about 50% more pricey than aftermarket - $8X for the CL fronts . . . $12X for OEM fronts.

My experience with after market pads and stock rotors, is the after market pads eat your rotors and significantly reduce the lifespan of them. I'd stick with OEM, even though they cost more, it is better than replacing rotor prematurely due to wear caused by the after market pads.

I was just about to ask, did Gary say how much worse the CL pads are on the rotors vs. the OEM? Also, has anyone had experience with the Galfer pads in terms of how they compare to EBC in rotor wear?

I was just about to ask, did Gary say how much worse the CL pads are on the rotors vs. the OEM? Also, has anyone had experience with the Galfer pads in terms of how they compare to EBC in rotor wear?
He did say that they could be tough on rotors, but said that the OEMs are too. He said the EBC organics are easy on rotors and wear out quickly.

He also said that replacement rotors are about $100 each and if I got an extra 20K out of a set of rotors because I gave up on braking power that it was a small price to pay . . .

He then went on to say he'd put nothing else on his bike and so on - I was on the road when I ordered them and he was quite emphatic that I would notice a significant difference - but that, like anything else, if I was going to be super aggressive that lesser pads would be gone quickly and would likely burn (rather than score) the disks.

In the end it all made sense. I suppose that if I can pay a few hundred dollars to swap a set of tires every 10K miles, spending an extra $200 to change the disks every 30K or 40K was a small incremental increase in operating cost.

I had just come off a 700 mile day in 95+ degree temps and I'm no IBR Rally rider - it made sense at the time.

My experience with after market pads and stock rotors, is the after market pads eat your rotors and significantly reduce the lifespan of them. I'd stick with OEM, even though they cost more, it is better than replacing rotor prematurely due to wear caused by the after market pads.
BTDT! I've gone back to OEM pads.

He also said that replacement rotors are about $100 each and if I got an extra 20K out of a set of rotors because I gave up on braking power that it was a small price to pay . . .
Uhm...erm...that's quite a bit less than I paid for my 3 rotors and the new mounting screws plus the hours it took to do the actual work the weekend before leaving for Banff and CFR.

I can't find the receipt but I'd have him run the prices for you. I'm just sayin'..... :blink:

He apparently looked them up while we were chatting on the phone at the rest stop off the interstate in Alabama at the time . . . .

However, in checking just now, the price that pops up at Ronayers is $121 each for the OEM fronts and $133 for the rear disk for my '06 - and Gary is considerably less expensive.

Time? Since when do we cost account our time? This is a labor of love.

I must have gotten the rare Factory Unobtanium Rotor Option. 50K on EBC HH pads and my rotors are pristine. And I stop reel guud two!

I just replaced my front pads with stock ones and found my local dealer matched the price from bike bandit when I told them they were higher.

The stock pads came with new anti squeal shims and none of the aftermarket pads do.

What can I say the bike brakes perfect and these stock pads are scintered and very well made (like tiny works of art), and at the matching price were only a few dollars more than a pair of the better EBC's. I foolishly tried to resurface a pair of worn rotors using two sets of ebay brake shoes and while these worked ok none of them fit the squeal shims very well. When I got new rotors I didn't want to take any chances so I went stock and my brakes are perfect beyond my wildest dreams of how smooth bike brakes could be. So, I'm a born again, previously sining, believer in stock pads!

I just replaced my front pads with stock ones and found my local dealer matched the price from bike bandit when I told them they were higher. The stock pads came with new anti squeal shims and none of the aftermarket pads do.

What can I say the bike brakes perfect and these stock pads are scintered and very well made (like tiny works of art), and at the matching price were only a few dollars more than a pair of the better EBC's. I foolishly tried to resurface a pair of worn rotors using two sets of ebay brake shoes and while these worked ok none of them fit the squeal shims very well. When I got new rotors I didn't want to take any chances so I went stock and my brakes are perfect beyond my wildest dreams of how smooth bike brakes could be. So, I'm a born again, previously sining, believer in stock pads!
Now, why would I think your brakes are 'smooth' more because of the new rotors than for any reason associated with the new pads?

And, since you mention it, that was another of Gary's ponts . . . OEM pads are indeed sintered plate, which is why the rotors develop the lines they do - so there wasn't going to be much difference netween the OEMs and the Carbone Loraine pads, which are also sintered.

As to fitting the shims, I did do a trial fit on one caliper (before realised just how much pad I had left and buttoned it all back up) and they fit fine. Perhaps the no name pads you can buy on Ebay have strangely formed backs?

Obviously, to each his own - but I suspect that no matter how one goes about it, since we don't turn the disks on our bike disks, replacement pads will always have some bedding issues no matter who supplies them.

And, since you mention it, that was another of Gary's ponts . . . OEM pads are indeed sintered plate, which is why the rotors develop the lines they do - so there wasn't going to be much difference netween the OEMs and the Carbone Loraine pads, which are also sintered.
As to fitting the shims, I did do a trial fit on one caliper (before realised just how much pad I had left and buttoned it all back up) and they fit fine. Perhaps the no name pads you can buy on Ebay have strangely formed backs?

Obviously, to each his own - but I suspect that no matter how one goes about it, since we don't turn the disks on our bike disks, replacement pads will always have some bedding issues no matter who supplies them.
Just another quick question about the CL pads, did Gary mention anything about better/less fade under hard/extensive braking with the CL vs. OEM? I have found that after spending lengthy periods of hard riding in the twisties the OEM pads do tend to fade a bit...

TIA.

James;

As I wrote, he was emphatic that the CL pads provide the very best stopping available and it is all he would put on his rides.

Gary's very personable. Since his prices are 'the best', you are going to be buying them from him anyway. I'm sure he wouldn't mind discussing the issue with you. He is one of 'us'.

And while your at it, do all new sets come in pairs? I know the front has 4 pads, but I only see one part number, so do I order 2 sets for the front, because Damn they get expensive when you have to buy 3 sets.( 2 front and 1 rear) Just checking with you pros before I place my order.
Timely thread...

Im also looking at my first pad replacement and getting the FJR Pad Price Surprise. I have looked at EBC, Galfer and a couple of other non OEM. I have also read about the after market impact on rotors for sintered etc. Always the question is to what degree of impact does one feature or another have on my situation.

A friend who rides with me suggested just go with OEMS. That have done the job so far and my medium aggressive riding style does not warrant upgrades to a race or full sport pad for the most par so why grind down the rotor with something I dont really need. And if I went with the better pad for more aggressive riding, then I should go with braided lines etc. So, Im going with OEMs.

Does anyone put on speedbleeders. I think I am going to do that and rebuild the masters etc as the bike is two years old. Any suggestions on brands for bleeders and rebuild kits.

RR

Does anyone put on speedbleeders. I think I am going to do that and rebuild the masters etc as the bike is two years old. Any suggestions on brands for bleeders and rebuild kits. RR
RR, just curious why would you be considering rebuilding the masters, are they "broken" - just curious.

My '07 has 60k miles and i brake fairly aggressively, and all i've had to do is change pads once (OEM, but will consider CL next) and flush/replace brake fluid.

I switched to EBC HH 12K ago and am still very happy with their performance and I ride pretty aggressively in the Texas hill country. I chewed through the first stockers by 20K and the next OEM's only lasted another 10K....somebody ratted me out to the brake pad abusers association and after sponsorship i did the whole " Hi...I'm Bobby and I do stoppies on a sport tourer" :blink: ...embarrassing but my higher power (commander) and guinness sponsorship have greatly aided my transision...and my rotors are still within service limits at 43K..we shall see...what a great bike !!!

Blessings,

Bobby

The EBC Double H pads are sintered, and are available with or without shims. As a non-wear item, one set of shims will last forever, and the stockers fit the EBC pads-only reason to replace is if one of the tabs breaks off. I have generally been able to find a full set (frt and rr) of HH pads for my Gen I for about $70 on Fleabay, they've gone up since my last set, but are still less than $100. Shopping before absolutely needing to have them gives one more options.

$102.75 Shipped Gen I with shims HH

I must have gotten the rare Factory Unobtanium Rotor Option. 50K on EBC HH pads and my rotors are pristine. And I stop reel guud two!
My 08 FJR has close to 21,000 mi. and the pads still look pretty good. I have been using EBC HH sintered pads on all my bikes (after initial OEMs wear out) for many years without problems and really good wear. Now I see some posts here saying they are a no no. I will likely keep using them since none of my bikes have had rotors eaten/trashed so color me "adventursome".

doctorj