Brand new 2008 idle problem + oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll clarify, I used the method on this page I'm linking to.

https://www.fjr1300.info/breakin.html

Yamaha's break in instructions are still followed by this method. Also Minuscule shavings in a brand new engine is usually normal, reading a lot of other posts.

Really I am asking about the idle problem, this has been there since pulling out of the dealer lot (thought it was me learning the new clutch feel) it has only been 5 days.

Also does the oil overfill mean anything to this? other than they really are morons....

FWIW mine was overfilled too. Seemed like some lightweight oil too. Seems to shift better with a 15/40 in it. No idle or stumbling problems with my 08.

Man I hate it when I find a thread and follow it to it's end and there is no conclusion. There should be a rule on this forum that if you start a thread you have to finish it. The subject got a little off course here and there, but it happens. What happened to the OP? What did the dealer/Yamaha do? I am just reading it as a story. I don't have a similar problem, but I would like to know if it was resolved. Oh well. The OP must have gotten so pissed at Yamaha he sold the bike and never looked back.

...either that or he found out it was all his fault (aka "operator error" and felt like such a moron that he didn't report back?

I'm not saying that is what happened in this case, but is another reason folks don't close the loop on "technical problem" threads that they open.

...either that or he found out it was all his fault (aka "operator error" and felt like such a moron that he didn't report back?

I'm not saying that is what happened in this case, but is another reason folks don't close the loop on "technical problem" threads that they open.

its apity coz if he looked here

https://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk/index.php/topic,3431.0.html

a bloke has come up with a fix that actually works and cures that horrible "its gonna stall" moment when you first crack the throttle open

turned my fjr 08 from a fally over nasty thingy to a smooooooth chuckable bend meister...

its apity coz if he looked here

https://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk/index.php/topic,3431.0.html

a bloke has come up with a fix that actually works and cures that horrible "its gonna stall" moment when you first crack the throttle open

turned my fjr 08 from a fally over nasty thingy to a smooooooth chuckable bend meister...
I tried the link provided and it requires a login and password. Can you please explain what it said? Maybe a cut and paste into this forum? Thanks!

I doubt the dealer's assembler added oil to the engine when he uncrated the bike getting it ready for sale. I've never seen anyone measure the volume of oil which drained out during a change. Maybe you were just inspecting for metal residue in the oil.

D & H Cycle, where I bought my new FJR, test rides the new bikes about 10 miles before release to the customer. I would expect they would notice idle problems and adjust before handing the bike over to the customer.

It seems that some of the year-to-year changes Yamaha makes in the bikes are not always improvements. Engine driveability should be improving each model year not getting worse.

FWIW, I had very similiar problems when I first got my 08. The idle was lower than I knew it should be (easy fix) and it would occasionaly stall on me when pulling from a stop light or if I "blipped" the throttle. When I turned the idle up it helped a lot, but it still wasn't completely happy. It seems that break-in and miles were the keys to getting mine to behave. With over 9K on it now, it works fine and my idle is right at 1100. My 05 never gave me troubles like this, but my 08 is running just as good as the 05 did now.

My suggestion: turn the idle up... maybe even a little over 1100 (to, say 1200/1250), ride it and get some miles on it and see if it gets better. If not, give it to a reputable dealer in your area and let them go through it. JMHO.

Pretty much the same experience with my 09. Increased the idle to about 1200 RPM for the first couple thousand miles then was able to back off

to 1,100 RPM. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the factory ship these bikes out with the oil and fluids already in them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the factory ship these bikes out with the oil and fluids already in them?
I un-crated and assembled my FJR and it had all the fluids in it (ready-to-run in the crate -- fluid-wise) except gasoline. It did need some assembly and the battery terminals were not connected -- battery was installed and 'hot'.

I thought the engine oil level was a little too high, when new -- but, doubt that it was in any "problem" area.

It was a long time ago, tho...(things may have changed?). :unsure:

I suspect the stalling problem is mainly because the FI system is so lean to comply with emissions. The strong throttle spring doesn't help. The idle speed helps keep it off the bottom end, so to speak, but the real fix is a Power Commander. Yammy isn't going to do much unless they hear a lot of complaints, so if you're having issues, take it to the dealer and have them at least register the complaint.

Yzerman may be on to something. If so, installing the barbarian jumper mod and cranking in some extra fuel (raising the CO) at idle, along with raising the idle to 1100+ rpm should resolve it completely without needing to wait thousands of miles for the engine to break-in.

My 08 had a similar problem. Yes the idle was at 1000 rpm's, raised it to 1100 and this did help.

Also switched from 87 to 89 octain fuel this made a big improvement ( more Grunt ). I was shocked !

I tried the link provided and it requires a login and password. Can you please explain what it said? Maybe a cut and paste into this forum? Thanks!
All he did is change the CO settings, basically +15 to whatever was there originally.

I bought a PCIII and it never stalled again.

Dealer couldn't find anything wrong either. Dam near killed myself a few times stalling in the middle of the road after leaving an intersection.

Dave

Pull10k,

What ever became of your problem with the stalling 08/ dealer / and-or lawyer?

Did it get resolved, what was the solution?