Brand New 2012 - dropped during make ready

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that mirror sub-frame bends, it can easily be bent back. That's exactly what I had to do, and you'd never know it. Its pretty soft.

If that mirror sub-frame bends, it can easily be bent back. That's exactly what I had to do, and you'd never know it. Its pretty soft.
+1

Have them remove the tupperware, (which they may have to do anyway if there's any painting to be done), and check the condition 0f the sub-frame. It'll be easy to see any bends/damage, and simple to straighten. If anything needs straightening, it may also need a little paint here and there, to touch up any bare metal. I suggest tremclad or rustoleum.

The mirror-mount 'tabs' can be checked for proper alignment by comparing both sides. The distance from the outermost windshield tracks to the mounting holes should be the same, and can be checked with one of those plastic right-angle geometry gauges, and/or a small ruler.

Make sure the mechanic checks the fairing for small cracks, especially in the clear coat, and double-checks all fasteners and cable routing on reassembly.

Thank you all for the good suggestions. The damage was fairly minor. Scratch on the mirror, lower faring and bag. They said the bike "got away" from the tech as he was finishing an oil change. I think it touched the floor fairly gently. The general manager typed up a specific IOU for new parts. I think they will send them. I will have the new parts and the old ones. I do trust people. Trusting gives people an opportunity to show their character. The vast majority see the trust as a compliment and appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate their honor.

Enough about the scratches, how about the 380 mile ride back to Houston? At 80 MPH I wasn't passing anyone. People drive FAST on I-10! Coming off of a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 the FJW is way more powerful! Feels like a 130% scaled up sport bike! Instant thrust. Got 47 MPG on the very first 3 gallons from mile 0 at 80MPH. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new FJR!!! I got exactly what I wanted. I could have bought any bike I wanted and I did. No regrets, even with the blemishes.

The bike was very comfortable but my butt and knees needed a break every two hours. No problem with the hands, wrists or back.

Thanks to Mike in NOLA for the kind offer for a ride to Hall's. New Orleans is a very special place.

Thank you all for the good suggestions. The damage was fairly minor. Scratch on the mirror, lower faring and bag. They said the bike "got away" from the tech as he was finishing an oil change. I think it touched the floor fairly gently. The general manager typed up a specific IOU for new parts. I think they will send them. I will have the new parts and the old ones. I do trust people. Trusting gives people an opportunity to show their character. The vast majority see the trust as a compliment and appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate their honor.

Enough about the scratches, how about the 380 mile ride back to Houston? At 80 MPH I wasn't passing anyone. People drive FAST on I-10! Coming off of a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 the FJW is way more powerful! Feels like a 130% scaled up sport bike! Instant thrust. Got 47 MPG on the very first 3 gallons from mile 0 at 80MPH. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new FJR!!! I got exactly what I wanted. I could have bought any bike I wanted and I did. No regrets, even with the blemishes.

The bike was very comfortable but my butt and knees needed a break every two hours. No problem with the hands, wrists or back.

Thanks to Mike in NOLA for the kind offer for a ride to Hall's. New Orleans is a very special place.
do comply with the break in instructions

and change the oil no later than 600miles

best to ya

come visit anytime