Brand new member, 1st Gen owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhalla556

Reaction score
I found this forum looking up the difference between the K&N-148 vs 204 oil filters, and enjoyed the discussions, figured I'd join the forum! I've been loving my 2005 FJR1300 since buying in May. I've refinished the factory seats and added heated seats, upgraded the headlights to LED, added Skene P3 lighting in front and rear, added heated grips and a number of other creature comforts. I'm loving this motorcycle! It's been one of my favorite bikes since picking it up only a few months ago. I've put just under 2k miles in only 2 months, and can't wait to put thousands more miles in the years to come!

Attachments

• 20240724_160706.jpg
    20240724_160706.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240722_202852(0).jpg
    20240722_202852(0).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240613_173250.jpg
    20240613_173250.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240519_202923.jpg
    20240519_202923.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
ABS? If so, the early ones had some issues. It pays to change fluid (every couple of years or even annually) and "exercise" the system regularly on a wet or sandy parking lot or use a "jumper" to actuate.
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/test-and-maintain-your-abs-system.136000/
How many miles on the bike? I am currently running a 2011 with 100,000 and sold my '07 with 186,000. Essentially trouble-free.

What pipes are those?

ABS? If so, the early ones had some issues. It pays to change fluid (every couple of years or even annually) and "exercise" the system regularly on a wet or sandy parking lot or use a "jumper" to actuate.
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/test-and-maintain-your-abs-system.136000/
How many miles on the bike? I am currently running a 2011 with 100,000 and sold my '07 with 186,000. Essentially trouble-free.

What pipes are those?

It has 32,227 miles on it as of this morning. Bought it with 30,378. It is a non ABS bike, which from what I've read is a good thing based on it being a Gen 1. It's been a great bike so far! The only issue I've had with it is the heat when riding in 100+ degree weather.

Regarding the pipes, I'm not sure. They sound great so I haven't really tthought much about them. I'll have to look at them as soon as I get home and try to get a brand.

Do you know if the two piece windscreen is stick? I was looking at replacing it but haven't seen anything like it in my searches. It's fogged due to the years and makes seeing through it a challenge when I have it fully raised.

It has 32,227 miles on it as of this morning. Bought it with 30,378. It is a non ABS bike, which from what I've read is a good thing based on it being a Gen 1. It's been a great bike so far! The only issue I've had with it is the heat when riding in 100+ degree weather.

Regarding the pipes, I'm not sure. They sound great so I haven't really tthought much about them. I'll have to look at them as soon as I get home and try to get a brand.

Do you know if the two piece windscreen is stick? I was looking at replacing it but haven't seen anything like it in my searches. It's fogged due to the years and makes seeing through it a challenge when I have it fully raised.
The windscreen isn't stock, but you might be able to pick one up if that is what you want. I'm not familiar with Gen I screens, so I can't make a specific recommendation. Why not post a "Wanted" ad on the forum in the appropriate section. Someone might have a Gen I screen (OEM or aftermarket) that they want to sell. If the screen is acrylic, it might be able to be polished but the "fogged" description tells me that it is likely polycarbonate which really can't be as easily restored. Maybe worth taking a dive into YouTube - there are certainly a bunch of videos on the subject and lots of "How-to" written articles you'll find in a regular Google search.

I have never been big into MOST aftermarket exhaust pipes - I prefer quieter. That said, I have a set of Staintunes on my bike (with the decibel reducers installed) and although they are slightly louder than stock, they are not objectionable. The '07 I had came with a set of Leo Vince aftermarket pipes which started out louder than I preferred and got worse as time went by. A lot of these may require repacking periodically as the fibreglass breaks down over time. OEM and some aftermarket pipes (like the Staintunes) have metal baffles good for the life of the bike.

With just 32,000 miles, it is just a (19 year old) baby. Has the first valve check been done?

Regarding the ABS vs Non-ABS.
The Gen 1 Non-ABS scooters came from the factory with Blue plugs in the front calipers. The brake lines on the non-ABS scooters run directly from the master cylinder to the brake calipers. The brakes are not linked.

The Gen 1 ABS scooters (2004 - 2005) came with Silver plugs in the front calipers and had a decal on both sides of the front fender saying ABS.
The ABS scooters also had a toothed ABS ring on the left side of the front wheel (and right side of the rear wheel) with a black cover plate / spacer with an ABS pickup sensor. The front ABS plumbing ran from the master cylinder to the ABS pump on the right side of the scooter then ran back to the front calipers. The brakes are not linked.

From the photos it appears that your scooter IS an ABS model.
Considering the age of the scooter and the aforementioned known Gen 1 ABS pump propensity for failure (especially the rear circuit) there is the possibility that the ABS pump may have failed, and the PO may have removed the ABS pump and done some re-plumbing of the brake lines. Or PO may have left the pump in place and removed the ABS decals on the front fender and just told you it was non-ABS. Or some other variation of modifications to conceal the ABS not working. The ABS pump is / was located on the right side of the scooter behind the side cover below the seat.
Something like that would leave the scooter functionally the same as a non-ABS scooter.

In Other News!!
Someone will be along soon to remind you to check the CCT for a paint dot and if none found, to be replacing that immediately. If there is no record of a previous valve clearance check both of those projects are best accomplished at the same time. Thats also a golden opportunity for a spark plug change, cooling system flush / refill and throttle body sync, then slam the hood shut for another 30,000 miles.

Oh yeah, welcome to the neighborhood.
You might place your location and your scooter year and model in your profile. It helps us help you better in the future.

dan

Regarding the ABS vs Non-ABS.
The Gen 1 Non-ABS scooters came from the factory with Blue plugs in the front calipers. The brake lines on the non-ABS scooters run directly from the master cylinder to the brake calipers. The brakes are not linked.

The Gen 1 ABS scooters (2004 - 2005) came with Silver plugs in the front calipers and had a decal on both sides of the front fender saying ABS.
The ABS scooters also had a toothed ABS ring on the left side of the front wheel (and right side of the rear wheel) with a black cover plate / spacer with an ABS pickup sensor. The front ABS plumbing ran from the master cylinder to the ABS pump on the right side of the scooter then ran back to the front calipers. The brakes are not linked.

Considering the age of the scooter and the aforementioned known Gen 1 ABS pump propensity for failure (especially the rear circuit) there is the possibility that the ABS pump may have failed, and the PO may have removed the ABS pump and done some re-plumbing of the brake lines. Or PO may have left the pump in place and removed the ABS decals on the front fender and just told you it was non-ABS. Or some other variation of modifications to conceal the ABS not working. The ABS pump is / was located on the right side of the scooter behind the side cover below the seat.
Something like that would leave the scooter functionally the same as a non-ABS scooter.

In Other News!!
Someone will be along soon to remind you to check the CCT for a paint dot and if none found, to be replacing that immediately. If there is no record of a previous valve clearance check both of those projects are best accomplished at the same time. Thats also a golden opportunity for a spark plug change, cooling system flush / refill and throttle body sync, then slam the hood shut for another 30,000 miles.

Oh yeah, welcome to the neighborhood.
You might place your location and your scooter year and model in your profile. It helps us help you better in the future.

dan
I sincerely appreciate the knowledge dump you just shared! I couldn't tell you if the ABS pump works or not, as only moments ago I found out that it has ABS. I chased out the brake lines and I looks line all original equipment is still on board. Do you have any links to resources to help verify functionality and service that pump? As it has ABS, I'd like to make sure it's functional. I ordered the updated CCT, all new fluids, spark plugs, air filter, new brake rotors and pads, along with the AK-20 front shock cartridges and a penske rear shock with reservoir. I don't believe the valves have ever been checked, so I will be going through that while the bike is down for the rest of the service.

Thank you again for the kind welcome! I'm located in North East Oregon. I'll update my profile to include the requested information!

Well, the easy way to test is go find some gravel and hit the brakes. Front and rear separately. I have done that on many occasions. There is also a procedure in the service manual, and also somewhere on this board or one of the others that tells you the procedure for testing the ABS pump. Try a little searching and you may find it. And the Yamaha service manual is always a good reference item to have.

I looked for (and couldn't discern) the silver plug in the first photo, but it is clear in the last one.

Excellent suggestion on the CCT! While at 30,000 miles, it is LIKELY still OK, but why take the chance. As Dan said, it makes sense to do all the general engine maintenance stuff at the same time.

I would also:
Flush front and rear brake circuits as well as clutch with fresh DOT4 fluid
Lubricate rear brake pivot (remove and use waterproof grease)
Lubricate shifter linkage and side stand
Lubricate front brake lever
Lubricate clutch lever - be sure to remove, clean and lube the brass bushing that pushes the piston rod.
Check/clean/replace air filter

Again, waterproof grease for everything.

Gen I bikes have a large white connector under the tank on the right hand side that has been a source of poor running for some people. It is worth inspecting for corrosion while the tank is up. (see link, below)

Large White Connector

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats on your new Gen 1. You remind me when I bought my Gen 1 2005 several years ago. I was very exited to finally find my last bike I will probably ever own. My other toys are dirt and work quads. Finally owning a road bike where I live now is so enjoyable. Mine had 26,000 miles when purchased, now it's about 36,000. I stay close to home near Yosemite where there is so much to see and ride I usually stay with in 100 miles or so of home. I too did all the service you mentioned with in a few months of purchasing and have not had any issues so far. Like you mentioned the heat coming from the engine in the summer is a bit much. You can add a heat deflector under your tank, that seemed to help some. So enjoy your new bike and ride safe!

The windscreen isn't stock, but you might be able to pick one up if that is what you want. I'm not familiar with Gen I screens, so I can't make a specific recommendation. Why not post a "Wanted" ad on the forum in the appropriate section. Someone might have a Gen I screen (OEM or aftermarket) that they want to sell. If the screen is acrylic, it might be able to be polished but the "fogged" description tells me that it is likely polycarbonate which really can't be as easily restored. Maybe worth taking a dive into YouTube - there are certainly a bunch of videos on the subject and lots of "How-to" written articles you'll find in a regular Google search.

I have never been big into MOST aftermarket exhaust pipes - I prefer quieter. That said, I have a set of Staintunes on my bike (with the decibel reducers installed) and although they are slightly louder than stock, they are not objectionable. The '07 I had came with a set of Leo Vince aftermarket pipes which started out louder than I preferred and got worse as time went by. A lot of these may require repacking periodically as the fibreglass breaks down over time. OEM and some aftermarket pipes (like the Staintunes) have metal baffles good for the life of the bike.

With just 32,000 miles, it is just a (19 year old) baby. Has the first valve check been done?
Honestly for this bike, I would have been happy with factory exhaust. That said, these seem to be well made and aren't too loud. They're made by Delkevic, and sound really nice. I just looked them up, and they're the Delkevic 8" carbon oval slip-ons. Unless I can get my hands on a set of factory pipes, I'll be leaving them be.

And the first valve check will be getting complete this winter when I go through the bike. Summer projects take priority, I'm addition to preserving as much of the riding season as possible.

Latest posts