Bridgestone BT-021 Feedback

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best handling tire that I've used on the FJR, perhaps not the best wearing ...getting between 4K to 5Kmiles ....but I never got much better out of Azaro's or others so no real complaints and these handle much better. 33psi is way too low IMO ..check your pressure often, the bike handles like poop with pressure that low IMO. renojohn

Your review is the reason I ordered a set of the BT-021's, & will have you to blame if I hate them! ;)
Uh Oh, it's that guy that wants to sue the parking lot for dropping his bike on the hot day. :lol:

Each to their own. I just mounted a set of the 021's this weekend, and they work just fine. Turn-in and handling are great, but not twitchy. They gripped really well this morning in the rain. No issues here. I have just over 200 miles on them now. I got 8900 out of the 020's from the factory. The back still has 500 or so miles left. I decided to replace both front and rear as a set to maintain more uniform handling. I haven't noticed the 021's being noisy. I'll have to see how they wear over time.

OK, I ordered one of these last night, but just one concern.

From their UK website:

The new Battlax BT-021 is designed to provide a wide range of heavier sport touring motorcycles, from 600 cc to 1200 cc
Sounds like our steed might be a bit too much (torque, more than weight-wise) for this tire. Time will tell.

I'm also gonna get set up with tire changing equipment before this gets spooned on. I'm done with trained monkeys jacking up my wheels/tires....

OK, I ordered one of these last night, but just one concern.From their UK website:

The new Battlax BT-021 is designed to provide a wide range of heavier sport touring motorcycles, from 600 cc to 1200 cc
Sounds like our steed might be a bit too much (torque, more than weight-wise) for this tire. Time will tell.

I'm also gonna get set up with tire changing equipment before this gets spooned on. I'm done with trained monkeys jacking up my wheels/tires....

Toecutter,

According to Bridgestones website Bridgestone Bt021 The rear tire has a load rating of 805 lbs @42 psi. There are 2 load ratings for the front tire size 120/70ZR/17 a 58W which is rated at 520 lbs @42psi & the 59W which is rated at 536 lbs @42 psi. I don't think the 16 lbs difference is enough to make 1 of these tires the wrong choice, but for peace of mind sake you may want to specify the 59W.

I'm still running a BT020 rear with 8K on it & still going. The front was changed about 1k ago because the front BT020 cupped with plenty of meat left on it. I have the 58W load rated tire on & there is no noise, neutral handling & performed quite well in a recent monsoon I got caught up in this weekend while riding 2 up with my wife.

I have stated before on this website that I was never a fan of Bridgestone/Firestone products, but these tires have performed better on this bike than I could have expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rear tire has a load rating of 805 lbs @42 psi. There are 2 load ratings for the front tire size 120/70ZR/17 a 58W which is rated at 520 lbs @42psi & the 59W which is rated at 536 lbs @42 psi. I don't think the 16 lbs difference is enough to make 1 of these tires the wrong choice, but for peace of mind sake you may want to specify the 59W.
Thanks for the info and research. I only ordered a rear, as I'm overly satisfied with the Diablo Strada up front, and will probably stick with it next time.

If I can get 8K plus out of the rear Bridgestone, I'll buy two next time and save on shipping charges.

Ran the 021's to WFO-6 and back. Total miles was a little over 1700 miles. There were no issues with the tires and they performed flawlessly. The tread looks fine with pleanty of wear left. Even tested them in a torrential down pour just outside Austin NV just about dark wednesday evening and also no problem, all this fully packed up and no jack-a-lopes in sight. PM. <>< :D

OK, I ordered one of these last night, but just one concern.From their UK website:

I wouldn't say that - isn't this the new OEM tire on the C14?? If it can handle that bike's torque, it can handle ours.

-BD

I wouldn't say that - isn't this the new OEM tire on the C14?? If it can handle that bike's torque, it can handle ours.
-BD
I agree
On my third set of the 021's and they'll be shot in a few days. Getting 4.5K +/- which for me is nearly as good as I got out of the Azaro.

I really like this tire. Sure, it would be nice if it wore longer ..but none of these tires wears long for me. these 021's have great handling characteristics. My tire of choice until something better comes out.

On my third set of the 021's and they'll be shot in a few days. Getting 4.5K +/- which for me is nearly as good as I got out of the Azaro.
I got 8500 out of my last Azaro, 6500 out of my last "E" spec Strada. If the BT-021 can best the Pirelli, I'll call it good.

I usually get 8000-9000 out of Azaro's and Pilot Roads. So far my BT-021's have 4500 miles on them and they're looking good. If they last as long as the others, I may start using them until the Pilot Road II's come out.

Riding back from WFO I ran into a storm of biblical proportions where cars were pulling off the road and you could kind of make out the tail lights of the car in front of you and the BT-021's never made me wonder why I was out there...... the heavy rain and lack of rain gear made me wonder that!

Based on the comments here and my own experience I would say this tire is top notch when it comes to wet grip. :thumbsup: I rode about 180 miles in heavy rain on my trip a few weeks ago and they were great.

BTW, My replacement front tire is working out great!

JW

Based on the comments here and my own experience I would say this tire is top notch when it comes to wet grip.
Good deal. I just got email notification from SWMotoTires that they shipped the tire I ordered last night, via overnight shipping, and it will arrive tomorrow. :yahoo:

Now I just have to get the tire machine and wait for my new peg to arrive do lots of chores.

A little update on the 021's.

I have been riding on them for two weeks now. This tire warms up faster then the 020's. It is superior to the stock tires in every way. I can lean the bike over to 'near peg scraping' angles without any concern. I'm sure they can go far beyond that, but I have no need to try it on the street. That will have to wait for the track to find out just how far they'll go.

One thing I will suggest that everyone should keep a good eye on the tire pressures. I have noticed that when they get under 39 psi they feel less than great. When I keep the pressures up around 41-42 psi they feel very great. They also get hotter when the pressure is low. That may be why some people are wearing them out so fast.

FWIW: This may not be the best tire for LD freeway trips. They look like they flatten out so much you kick-stand will be a moot point. I had to scrub the 'shoulders' off the rear tire after a 400 mile ride down I-5.

They're keepers.

Well, I had these put on befor WFO, And i racked up 4k on them in 10 days... Keep in mind, 4k VERY hard miles...

Front is showing signs of cupping, Which is a bummer considering the stock 020's were cupped really bad at 5k

Rear is severely flatspotted, But still has good tread before the wear bars.

Of the 4k miles on these babies, 3500 was pure super slab:( at super sonic speeds. :evilsmiley03:

I was able to test the performance of these in Utah, And i rate the handling as excellent! :good:

I know that the Avons would have been shot at this point under the same conditions, But the Battlax 021's are simply great tires.

My tire history:

OEM BT-020 (badly cupped front tire at 5k)

3 sets Avons (never again)

1 set Pilot roads (great tire, But the lack of a wear bar bothers me)

1 set BT-021 (currently mounted and doing OK thus far)

For shits and grins, I think i will try the Stradas next... Gotta love these tire threads! :rolleyes: !

Well, I had these put on befor WFO, And i racked up 4k on them in 10 days... Keep in mind, 4k VERY hard miles...
Front is showing signs of cupping, Which is a bummer considering the stock 020's were cupped really bad at 5k

Rear is severely flatspotted, But still has good tread before the wear bars.

Of the 4k miles on these babies, 3500 was pure super slab:( at super sonic speeds. :evilsmiley03:

I was able to test the performance of these in Utah, And i rate the handling as excellent! :good:

I know that the Avons would have been shot at this point under the same conditions, But the Battlax 021's are simply great tires.

My tire history:

OEM BT-020 (badly cupped front tire at 5k)

3 sets Avons (never again)

1 set Pilot roads (great tire, But the lack of a wear bar bothers me)

1 set BT-021 (currently mounted and doing OK thus far)

For shits and grins, I think i will try the Stradas next... Gotta love these tire threads! :rolleyes: !

Excuse the 1st attempt to post - VERY different system to FJR Owners.

Personally, I think that the front BT-021 was prematurely stuffed by it doing 1,500 miles only inflated to 33 psi. Just goes to show - you trust a tyre shop to inflate your tyres correctly at your peril.

Nobody's mentioned them, but I'm currently running a set of BT-014's (after a set of BT-020's that I was very happy with) and I'll use them (or their replacement again). You sacrifice a little mileage for awesome grip. I run them at 40psi front & 42psi rear.

I have about 3000 km. on a pair of BT021s. I like them...neutral steering and very confident stick both wet and dry, but the front tire makes noise and is getting louder, I'm starting to sound like a 4 x 4. Has anyone heard of Bridgestone acknowledging a problem or replacing any?

BTW I have been running 40/42 psi.

Has anyone heard of Bridgestone acknowledging a problem or replacing any?
Good luck, I had several conversations with them via phone and email about this. Now I have several messages into them and no response? Fortunately for them I have more money than time so I'm going to drop it. I will vote with my $$. Out of principal I won't install any more Bridgestones.

JW

I just thought about something last night. It could be that my technique is "lazy" and I've been relying on the profile of the PRs. I'll know more by the time I get to Park City.
Alrighty then.....I'm back from Park City and the GPS says 3734 miles. The 021s have been great tires. Evidently my original "issues" were ME.

We rode in deserts and mountains, twisty roads, flat highways and super-slabs. I rode through some rain squalls and downpours. We even had rain while riding down into Flaming Gorge.

These tires never gave a wiggle or side-step.

I do have some very slight cupping on the front, which only means the tire is biting when I push it into corners (yeah, yeah, I know other tires don't do that). I now have a slight 'Stone "rumble" from the front, but it isn't as bad as I remember the 020s. Also, looking at the front tire wear pattern, it seems to be wearing in a "V", like the Metz 880s do on my XS1100, so they are grinding off when pushed into corners. This is probably due to the pavement texture & my entry speeds while enjoying WFO rides and Sawtooth, Hells Canyon and CA Hwy 3 & 299 (from Yreka) on the way home.

The rear has about 1/4" chicken strip and a 1 3/4" flat spot. Considering I was loaded heavy (topcase and my tool bad on the pillion seat) coupled with the looong flat ride we had going North from Sacramento through Alturas and Eastern Oregon to Caldwell, ID, then the long stretch from Jackson, WY to Park City, I am NOT dissapointed.

I will wait to see how far the front deteriorates into cupping before offering a final analysis, but so far, I'm much happier with these tires than the 020's and pleased with their performance. I will monitor the tread depth but it looks like the front will be replaced along with the rear because of the "V" wear. Im guessing around 5500 miles, but I'll have to wait and watch. By then I'll likely be trying the new PRs.