BridgeStone BT020 or Metzler MEZ4

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky3008

Finally got my collarbone fixed!!!
Reaction score
Mine came with the Metzlers but it seems most have the Stones? I thought they were doing away with the Metzlers???

I am still experiencing the 99mph+ shake wobble whatever and was looking at my tire. It has a noticeable bump in the middle of the tire like what the Pilot Road Rears have which is a flat spot. I know I road for a long time (thousands of miles) with low to no air.

This thread is really to find out what type of tire came OEM on most 05's though...

Thanks

'05 with 07/13/05 delivery date

Metzlers

After reading here i get nervous over 80 worrying about the damn things

Prolly Pilots or Avons when I replace them, but I'm damned if I can afford to replace a set of tires with that much tread left . . . . . .

(hoping those aren't famous last words) <_<

MEZ4s on mine. I was not disappointed to change over to Avons at 3,500 miles. The MEZ4s were pretty squirrelly in the wet. Never felt planted like the Avons do. I'm on my second set of Avons now. Maybe I'll try the Pirellis next.

July 2004 delivery...'05 ABS came from the factory equipped with Bridgestones. Based on my previous Metzler experience and watching them fail on other bikes I would be worried too!

:unsure:

'05 with 07/13/05 delivery dateMetzlers

After reading here i get nervous over 80 worrying about the damn things

Prolly Pilots or Avons when I replace them, but I'm damned if I can afford to replace a set of tires with that much tread left . . . . . .

(hoping those aren't famous last words) <_<
You ask why. Reading through this website other fjr sites and other motorcycles in general I am still trying to narrow down my 99mph+ shake.

I have an appointment Wednesday for the mechanic to check the steering head nut, which I think is tight when trying to move the forks back and forth it is solid.

He is going to check balance and tire roundness. I don't think the last two would wait until 100mph to show up but could be wrong.

I have no wheel weight on the front and that concerns him but not unheard of.

Many of the posts on this forum seem to speak of the Stones and those people not having a shake or anything.

Others sites have had people wishing their stock bike came with the Stones and not the Metz's but no real reason why.

I hear about the Avons and the low speed wobble so I can't decide on these or the Pilot Roads.

Feeling a co-workers front tire (Pilot) on his FZ6 it doesn't seem to have the ridge or flat spot on the tire like the Metz does and I have seen mention that this makes it noticeable going around turns which I do.

I know the tire thing has been worn out but I am trying to solve a few problems at once and I think the shake is going to come down to no problem with the bike and a tire issue...

Thanks

and was looking at my tire. It has a noticeable bump in the middle of the tire like
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Jesus, sounds *exactly* like what others have said right before they experienced belt separation/total failure!

and was looking at my tire. It has a noticeable bump in the middle of the tire like
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Jesus, sounds *exactly* like what others have said right before they experienced belt separation/total failure!
Yea, if you read another thread you might already know I was running for who knows how many miles as I never checked them until almost 5000 on 20psi front and wouldn't even register rear.

I have an appointment Wednesday and I am trying to get tires before then as they only carry Dunlops...

Pretty sure I muffed them up and I am feeling cupping :D

Well, I just bought some Pilot Roads and if they make it here by Thursday from Penn I will have them installed Friday.

Install from dealer front and rear and balance $72 rear $50 front plus 7.50 each or ballancing I believe. They charge much more for the big boys like the gold wing and bmw's and such.

Tires I got them for $234.85 after shipping $18 and handling was like $5.

Thanks

Well, I just bought some Pilot Roads and if they make it here by Thursday from Penn I will have them installed Friday.
Install from dealer front and rear and balance $72 rear $50 front plus 7.50 each or ballancing I believe. They charge much more for the big boys like the gold wing and bmw's and such.

Tires I got them for $234.85 after shipping $18 and handling was like $5.

Thanks
See, I don't get this internet tire shopping crap...

My dealer has it right - he charges close to internet prices for the tires w/ no shipping, but with the disposal fee required in Cali. If you bring him the rims he mounts and balances them for free. Plus he has them in stock and I don't need to wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree totally twn only my dealer doesn't carry anything but the dunlops for my bike so I went ahead and ordered them myself direct. Normally I would agree but in this case it is what I did...

Most of the stealers I have been at in the MSP area prefer to charge you 100% of the MSRP for the tire and $20 or so for mount and balance. If you bring in a tire on your own they like to charge you $40-$50, and that is the carry in price. $100 if you just bring in the bike.

I have since purchased a set of tire irons, rim protectors and a balancer. Do it at home in my garage now. Dealers here will only see my bike for warranty work. Oh, and I get all of my accessories and factory parts from Gary @ University Motors! Wish we had a dealer like that locally!

Wish we had a dealer like that locally!
There is a 'downside' to this:

While I wait the hour or so it takes to get the tires mounted, the service writer buys me a cup of Joe and walks me back into the showroom where he sits me with Sammy Salesman. Now Sammy's a nice guy and loves to talk politics, weather, sports, motorcycles and such, but he knows I've been eyeballin' the FZ1 sitting over there in the corner...

Maybe you should show this thread to your dealer?

My '05 non-ABS came with MEZ4s. I put almost 8k miles on them before the wear bars started showing. Order Avons from FJRGoodies. Now I have about 8600 on the Z4s and the rear is getting very thin. I just can't leave it in the garage while I wait for my tires to arrive :D . Next year I'll order a pair in advance.

Anyway, I wish I had a dealer who charged a reasonable price for tires, but I don't. The best I can do is $35 per tire to install and balance when I bring in the wheel and tire. My local UJM dealer couldn't even order me an FJR, or he didn't want to bother. Either way, I don't shop there.

I am thinking seriously about taking my rims off myself and taking them in to have mounted to save some money. I have no issue with doing the front just have never taken a shaft drive rear off before.

Plus I have no way currently to support the bike with both wheel off.

I will think about it between now and friday I have a few days to figure it out.

I have been thinking about building the pipe rack to hold the front up.

This would be about $35 in parts so for the first time wouldn't save me much but at this rate I have a lot of tire changes to come...

I am thinking seriously about taking my rims off myself and taking them in to have mounted to save some money. I have no issue with doing the front just have never taken a shaft drive rear off before.Plus I have no way currently to support the bike with both wheel off.

I will think about it between now and friday I have a few days to figure it out.
That's simple:

Take the rear off first. It's a tit job - refer to Bounce's or WC's sites for the info. To get the front off, raise the bike so that the front is off the ground and then support the bike with a chunk-o-wood beneath the header pipes. Either get a friend to push down on the back of the bike while the front teeters up or do it yourself by using a flatbar and wedge beneath the front tire while with your free hand slip the wood under the header and then remove the flatbar. The objective is to have the centerstand and the chunk-o-wood support the bike with both wheels off. Oh, a floor jack with a slab-o-wood below the headers works even better than the flatbar trick if you have one...