BridgeStone BT020 or Metzler MEZ4

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My choice between an ME-Zx (4 or 6) and BT020s would be based on how the bike feels to me with those tires mounted.

I want stability when leaned.

I want true running, and minimal road groove following when upright.

No tire on my bike will be without those two things.

Then, I'd choose the quicker rolling, quicker turn-in tire. To me, that's the BT020.

I ride on Avons because those three elements are present -- and they wear as well or better for me than those, or any other, tires. They also have wonderful cornering traction, and I find they serve me best in the wet. But still, they must (and do) meet those first three criteria.

You didn't say why you were limiting your choice to those two tires - except an unqualified reference that Bridgestones are the favorite choice here. That's unqualified in the sense that even if a survey showed more Bridgestone users, that percentage would still be a minority of users. I do not find that kind of thinking to be most helpful. They are Them; You are you.

There are many tire threads, and it can take much reading to get through them. However, they do contain information that can help you understand how those responders use their tire, what characteristics they prefer, and how certain tires do or do not meet them.

There's much subjectivity involved, so there's no "scientific" answer. And thus, no truly valid, "us guys use XXYYZZ brand tires."

I hope you'll take a little more time formulating how you'll make this decision, and getting the data that allows you to make the best decicsion... for you.

Having a tire that truly meets our Riding desires, or even our Bragging desires, can be a hugely affecting part of the motorcyling experience.

Best wishes.

'05 ABS delivered 11/19/04 with BT020's. Have since switched to Avons.

I ride on Avons because those three elements are present -- and they wear as well or better for me than those, or any other, tires. They also have wonderful cornering traction, and I find they serve me best in the wet.
+1

rdfrantz said.

You didn't say why you were limiting your choice to those two tires - except an unqualified reference that Bridgestones are the favorite choice here. That's unqualified in the sense that even if a survey showed more Bridgestone users, that percentage would still be a minority of users. I do not find that kind of thinking to be most helpful. They are Them; You are you.

I never mentioned that either of these tires are anyone's favorite. My question was what did your bike come with OEM and made reference to reading on this forum it seemed that most CAME with Bridgestones....

Thanks

My '05 ABS came with 'stones, which are now blessedly consigned to the scrap heap, replaced by a beautiful set of Avons just a few hours ago.... The 'stones never gave me much confidence, and handled like pigs on grooved pavement.

Got my '05 in August '04 with the Metzlers. I now have 11000 trouble free miles on them and still have some miles left before I'll change them out. I run 40 psi front and rear. I may go to Avon's but with the success I've had with these I might mount up the Metzlers again.

'05 picked up May 7th, came with the Metzelers

Got 10k slab miles before I got the Avons. There was at least another thousand-1500 on the rear but I changed because I was going on a 2K + trip & didn't want to change at the halfway point of the trip.

I was a second round PDP, delivery May '05, ABS - Bridgstone BT020

My '05' was delivered in May with Bridgestones on it. 2nd PDP. Hey, has anyone heard anything about the new Dunlop tire that's supposed to be out in a couple of months? Two Wheel Tuesday had a segment on it the other night. Sounded like more of sport/street tire than a sport/touring tire to me. Just curious.

'05 ABS delivered in August, IIRC, with MeZ4's. At least they wore out quickly!

my 04 abs has oem bridgestone battleaxe's. It has 4500 miles and it's cupping already. I have changed pressure from 38 to 40 to 42. I have about decided it don't make a difference, it's gonna cup. Guess I will keep it until the vibration in the curves start then change to something else.

`05 non-ABS delivered August of `04 with 020s. New rear at 6k. It was probably OK, but I was leaving on a 6-day ride and didn't want to deal with it while on the road. Front now marginal at 11.5k.

Put close to 100k on MeZ4s on my oilhead w/o problems. Of course, it's lighter...

TWN, lesson learned the hard way. Tie down strap from center stand to some point forward when one or both wheels are off. Friend had both wheels off his R1100RS, bumped it slightly and the center stand retracted...

05 built in May and delivered in late July.

MEZ4's on the bike.

I don't like them. And now with belt separation thread, I have a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's here ready to go on.

Non-ABS Picked up 05/05/05, has Bridgestones w/ 7000mi. Will try Avons next.

Picked mine up Oct '05 with MEZ4s on it. After reading all I have on forums regarding these tires, I'm leary of them, but so far have no complaints. However, I am EXTREMELY careful on wet roads and so have nothing to compare them to really. I have about 5000 miles on them right now and the rear tire shows signs of hard use (lack of right wrist discipline). Front tire looks to be in great shape.

I bought mine new in Aug. 05 and it came with the Stones...

got 4500 miles and the fronts are already starting to cup.... grrrrrr..

Im not sure what I'll go to to but the rear is starting to look a little worn as well...

Everybody likes the Avon's, I have a set of performance Avons on my car...

and they grip like crazy... very happy with those...

wondering about the Perelli's as well...