Bridgestone bt021

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
Had a set of bridgestone bt021's put on last week. the first set of bt020's went 8900 miles untill a cupping problem forced a replacement (damn shame cause i could have gone 10,000 on them). Put about 200 miles on the bike before testing the new skins at high speed. Bike is rock solid with neutral steering all the way to about 90mph. at 90, i feel like i jump off a race course and landed on a motocross track. whole bike starts shaking and get exponetially worse as the speed increases from there. i didnt feel safe crackin triple digits with the thing shakin bad enough to break up kidney stones. i thought the mirrors were going to come off at one point.

Question:

1. anyone had this problem with there bto21's

2. i get the feeling this is not a balancing problem (or i would have seen it at slower speeds).....correct????

3. if its a bad tire, whats the recommended recourse i need to take?.

The dealer who i bought the tires from (and had them installed) is willing to pull the tires and recheck the balance, but dosent want to do much beyond that. If the balanceing checks out, whats your suggested course of action to get a new set of tires and have them reinstalled (without any additional charge)?

Thanx,

GreyGoose

I have them and have done 110, smooth as glass.

Perhaps, I'll do a high speed run when the opertunity presents itself.

1. Yes, could be the sidewall is flattening at speed.

Maybe air pressure is low? Try 40psi cold.

2. Maybe time to tighen up the front Preload and Rebound adjustments?

Soft setup is great at low speed, but could give your symtoms at triple digit speed.

3. Yes, could very definitely be balance.

The faster you go, the more important balance becomes.

4. How's the torque on your steering head nut?

That's probably not it, but worth checking.

5. Tire runout?

Mine have been tested in triple digits & are rock solid, of the Bt-020, Z-6's, Avon Storms & Azaros, these are the best tires I've had on the FJR. Not sure how they will do with mileage yet, but I'm happy so far.

Mine have been tested in triple digits & are rock solid, of the Bt-020, Z-6's, Avon Storms & Azaros, these are the best tires I've had on the FJR. Not sure how they will do with mileage yet, but I'm happy so far.
Let's see if we can finish those off at EOM!! :yahoo:

JW

Let's see if we can finish those off at EOM!! :yahoo:

JW

I'm ready, are you going to be there to ride Friday?

I've got about 3000 km. on a set. They are smooth, neutral steering and seem to stick well both wet and dry. Triple digit speeds are no problem (thoroughly tested on a private track of course), my only complaint is the front tire is noisy and seems to be getting louder.

I would look for a mounting problem causing the shaking.

Returned to the dealer saturday morning. Front tire was removed, inspected, and rebalanced.

Problem is now fixed. I do notice a little more vibration at triple digit speeds than i did with my bt020's, but it could just be in my head.

I do like the neutral steering and overall feel of these 21's.

GreyGoose

I managed to find an open track a week ago and managed to test my BT-021's with 4000 miles on them up to 140mph per my gps. Solid as a rock. I was running out of track so I couldn't go much further.

I've got a 3000 mile trip planned for this weekend, and if they still look like they have 1000 miles left in them after that, I'll be very happy with them overall.