Bridgestone T30 GT Tire Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, ordered them last night and didn’t noticed the GT’s. Called to see if I could change the order and they already shipped. What’s the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
You all scared me off the T30. I'll just install another PR2 on the front. The PR2 has given me the most miles of all I've used since 2003.

I ordered one from Derby Cycles for $113.70 with free shipping. Michelin still shows these on their website, although not many sizes are offered.

Don't be scared, I just bought another pair I like the tires so much. Not sure how long they will last, but I like the way they handle.

Don't be scared, I just bought another pair I like the tires so much. Not sure how long they will last, but I like the way they handle.
I place a premium on handling and traction over longevity as well so these tires are actually looking better to me the more I read. The front seems to hold up pretty well mileage wise though. I'm running 023GT's right now and seem to be getting about 25% better mileage out of them than most have reported so I'm guessing I'll still get about 8k out of a T30 rear. Definitely looking like the T30 is not not the best rear tire option for long distance riding.

Barefootbob, Unless you are a very aggressive rider, you will be happy with Michelin PR 2's. You said mostly two up riding so I would suggest you get the B rated. I do not ride two up and I am not a very aggressive rider. At 72 yrs old I hope to ride for a few more years. I have been using PR2's for a few years and I get 14-15K miles on average per set. You may not get that riding two up but I think you will not get the same wear from the other brands. Make sure you keep proper tire inflation pressures at all times. Good luck!

I have to be close to 3K on the T30's. I will have to take a closer look when I get home today(or before I leave work). Love the dry road handling of this tire. Just don't have the wet road confidence.

So how do you guy's feel about running the rear tire with a plug? If I can trust it I can send back the T-30's non GT and get the right tires or I can just run the T-30 tires I bought and next time around get better tires. The tires I have now are just regular Pilot Road, no PR-2 or any kind of B rating the only thing on the tires are Pilot Road. Sorry for all the questions I'm new this the Sport Turing thing. We just sold the V-Strom a month ago and got the FJR.

So how do you guy's feel about running the rear tire with a plug? If I can trust it I can send back the T-30's non GT and get the right tires or I can just run the T-30 tires I bought and next time around get better tires. The tires I have now are just regular Pilot Road, no PR-2 or any kind of B rating the only thing on the tires are Pilot Road. Sorry for all the questions I'm new this the Sport Turing thing. We just sold the V-Strom a month ago and got the FJR.
Sunday sees me on the road before 6 am. I kill my first raccoon or Possum by 6:30, dumb little bastard. Shortly thereafter my ABS light come on. I'm thinking the road kill screwed up a sensor and continue on. A bit later the bike feels kind of strange. Seems to go well straight and wiggling the bars felt OK. I'd better check things out soon. As I get off the interstate I notice how heavy the steering is. I know my tires are shot but this ain't right. After doing a visual I took a closer look at my rear tire. I'd better put a gauge on it to be sure. It's down to about 10 psi, that's not good and I'm 500 miles from home. Turns out the plug I put in the tire 6000 miles ago has started to leak after all of the twisty stuff yesterday. I was lazy this morning and skipped my usual tire check because it has not lost a pound since the day I plugged it. Of all the days to skip out on this. So I re-plug the tire and air it up then grab some breakfast. Happily this plug made it all the way home without a problem. On the road again I made notice of 2 important things. First the ABS light was off again. The decrease in tire size was enough to set off a warning. The other thing was my speedometer and my GPS are always within 2 mph of each other. Just before getting off the highway I noticed a 3mph difference and I was wondering if it was from tire wear, but NO, it was due to lack of air pressure. Just a couple of things to remember on bikes without TPMS. My TPMS will be installed when the new tires go on, which will be in the near future. I was more concerned with the tires wearing out before getting home but it turns out I still have a little rubber left as I just hit all the wear bars.

This is one of the few plugs that have failed on me. I have plugged many tires over the years and only a couple ever failed. But it does happen.

LOL, Good story, guess my tires will make another 3 or 400 miles, thats all plan to ride this weekend. Going to viset the grand babies and the back roads from Willits to Fairfield are quite fun.

We love our FJR, it's a bad ass bike and a cruzer all in one.

Regarding B spec or GT spec tires:

Getting the stiffer extra ply sidewall tires will probably not result in any increase in mileage. At least this has always been the case with the Michelin Pilot Road line, and was also true of the "E spec" Pirelli Diablo Stradas.

Personally, I'm not sold on the benefits of these more expensive skins unless you will be overloading the regular spec tire. Even though I ride 2-up about 50% of my miles, my passenger is relativity small (4'12" and ~105 lbs), so even though I qualify as a Clydesdale (6'2" 230 lbs) together we are a fairly normal load for the bike. If you get the regular spec tires and keep them inflates to a higher pressure when fully loaded (~40F / 42R) you'll get good mileage.

Now if both you and your passenger weigh as much as me... well maybe that B spec is in your future. ;)

Getting the stiffer extra ply sidewall tires will probably not result in any increase in mileage. At least this has always been the case with the Michelin Pilot Road line, and was also true of the "E spec" Pirelli Diablo Stradas.

Personally, I'm not sold on the benefits of these more expensive skins unless you will be overloading the regular spec tire. Even though I ride 2-up about 50% of my miles, my passenger is relativity small (4'12" and ~105 lbs), so even though I qualify as a Clydesdale (6'2" 230 lbs) together we are a fairly normal load for the bike. If you get the regular spec tires and keep them inflates to a higher pressure when fully loaded (~40F / 42R) you'll get good mileage.

Now if both you and your passenger weigh as much as me... well maybe that B spec is in your future.
wink.png
I am with Fred on this one. I have never used a B spec tire and ride 2-up fully loaded towing a trailer. I have never had an issue and our combined weight is a little more than Fred's as Spanky isn't big, but she isn't as petite as Josie.

Now if both you and your passenger weigh as much as me... well maybe that B spec is in your future.
wink.png
I'm w/ Fred 2. I never ran the "B" spec PRIIs and only tried the GT w/ the T30 cuz it was the same price as the regular spec. (Imma cheap bastard!) So don't worry 'bout it OP, just make sure you keep air in the thing (I like 42 ta 44 in the rear.)

Also, I've alwayz had good luck w/ them worm plugs; they've alwayz lasted for me. (Once again be'in a cheap bastard, I ain't gonna throw a tire away just cuz it has a little hole. ) Though I had a hole sooooo big once, the worms didn't work, (All three of 'em.) and have since switched to the Stop & Go mushroom plugs.
thumbsupsmiley.png

Two days on my T30GT's. Perform exceptionally good. Similar to Avon in handling. I like the results from the stiffer sidewall in parking lot situations. They are WOOHOO new at this point,but they are an improvement over the 23's in my opinion. I picked up a bit of fuel economy, now bouncing off of 50 mpg vs 49.3mpg on the last two pairs of 23's. I hope I can get 6K out of them,,we'll see.

3,569 miles and not at the wear bars yet. I would imagine at least 4,000 hard miles would be reasonable. New T30 GTs going on tomorrow for the Western Gathering. Oh, love these tires. Full lean today on their final run and seem to get better with age. This is my new tire for price/performance until something better comes along. I wonder how any miles the flatlanders will get, are getting?

The rear getting close.

20140705_150823_zps8hdoprrn.jpg

20140705_150724_zpszberbzyh.jpg

The front, not too bad.

20140705_151049_zpsvqj7ovq3.jpg

I am considering putting a set of these on my DL1000. With the lighter weight and less rear wheel torque these may be a good road tire for that bike. Probably also be great on my son's vfr800. For the money, if we can get 6-7k miles on those bikes it would be great