Brodies Black Widow Killer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Ol KrZy8 is a prototype test puppie. Brodie ignition relay SN1, Joe2lmaker Tag-Along Tank SN1, and now Black Widow Killer (BWK) SN1! :yahoo:

Let's start with a pix of Brodies FJR.

DSC05090.jpg

Then get to installing. Essentially, the BWK adds copper to the existing wiring harness ground line. It connects 4 of the 6 spiders with 10 gauge wire running directly back to battery negative. It's plug and play, and reversible, meaning the mod can be 'undone' later. I can tell you top quality components, like very heat resistant wire, heat shrink with internal adhesive, and plated connectors are used.

Of the 6 spiders, general forum consensus agrees that 2 are ECU related, e.g. low current, and not a problem, thus best to stay away from tweaking on them. The remaining 4 carry various current loads, with S4 (the most problematic) probably carrying the most current.

The BWK simply replaces the stock metal spider with a matched connector and heavier gage wire.

DSC05091.jpg

DSC05092.jpg

All wires feed to a 10 gage wire that runs to the next spider connection.

DSC05093.jpg

Plug n' Play - note, Brodie was cutting wire length to match my FJR. He plans to have a 'pre-built' BWK harness for general consumption. KrZy8 has had her entire front end replaced due to a deer strike, so most connectors aren't *exactly* where they were from manufacture. And trust me, Brody is an *exact* kind of guy. He has a virgin gen 2 lined up, and will test his new harness on that platform.

DSC05094.jpg

10 gage wire being stripped

DSC05095.jpg

The good heat shrink

DSC05097.jpg

We used the stock gas tank heat shield to protect plastic parts when using the heat gun.

DSC05116.jpg

The hard part is getting to all the spiders in order to remove the plastic cap and metal spider. I'm not sure my fat arthritic short n stubby fingers could have gotten to all of them.

DSC05100.jpg

Brodie always has a smile on his face!

DSC05113-1.jpg

After being so kind as to ride 4 hours to the Hondarosa, then spend 1/2 a day doing the install, I felt it only fair to take Brodie to a breakfast joint and ply some cash on him. No, I ain't saying how much, but if his initial numbers are correct, pretty much everyone will be pleasantly surprised at the cost.

After the install, everything works as it did before, meaning it works! I've already had a front sub harness replaced (S4) and we did not find any burnt spiders - although several of them had initial signs of corrosion, starting at the spider back and working down to the pins.. and this after only ~4 months of use since replacement of the front sub harness.

Brodie - Thanks Again for riding > 4 hours to the Hondarosa, doing the work, and I'm really happy to hear you had nice long way home via Parkfield!

Brodie does smile a lot........... Every time I am at his place, it sounds like he has a pager in his pocket.......

Just say'n..... :eek: :D :lol:

B

Brodie does smile a lot........... Every time I am at his place, it sounds like he has a pager in his pocket.......

Just say'n..... :eek: :D :lol:

B

Where might I find a way to purchase the "'Brodie" harness?

Thanks,

Troy
At the top of the page, on the right, under the picture, click on MEMBERS. That will open a page with a search function. Simply tyupe "Brodie" into the search and click on "GO". That will pop up a window with Brodie's profile. Click on his name and a drop down will give you several options. Click on "Send Message" and that will give you the option to send him a PM.

Easier that it was to type out.