Broken License plate bracket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300Mark

Reaction score
My license plate bracket just broke. Not a big deal, but it's costing me $50 to replace it. Actually found it online for $33. Still seemed a lot for my easy solutioin 4 years ago.

When the bike was new I put one helmet lock on the right side of my license plate bracket. You can see the manufacturers photo here:

It was hanging off the right side and worked great for 30,080 miles. then it broke. I'm replacing the braket and decided to place the helmet lock off the bottom of the back luggage rack.

Pictures of the broken bracket.

The helmet lock was too heavy for the license plate bracket. Hope this saves someone else some time.

Interesting.

I guess I should check mine since it's been on both of my FJRs for over 110,000 miles.....even survived the '04 being run off a cliff....

Sorry for the sarcasm, I use a different brand with 2 locks on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A design flaw by Yamaha no doubt.. I say they should recall the lot of them frames.

Ain't biting you in the ass but (oh shit this should be good soon)I don't think the Yamaha folks took the installation of these locks into consideration when they designed that mount.. It would only take a decent set of diagonal cutters about 3 seconds to chew through the tin those are made of.

Mount them lower and back them up with a substantial piece of cold rolled steel..

You're not one of those guys we see tooling down the highway with their helmet swinging from the helmet lock with your hair blowing in the wind are you? :rolleyes:

That's really strange that it broke like that.

I've had a 12" long aluminum bar and a 3ft Firestick CB antenna connected to my license plate bracket for the last 50,000 miles with no signs of stress.