Broken tab on plastic tank cover - help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started in to to the throttle return spring mod using Rickster's great post https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18322&hl=

and despite his perfectly clear instructions, and while pulling hard to the aft, when one side of the plastic tank cover came off, the tab broke.

Maybe it had been previously weakened or maybe it was too cold, in any case, has anyone had success repairing this?

BrokenTab5.jpg

it snapped cleanly at the orange line.

thanks.

(also, how much is a new one?)

I did the same thing one another bike but the piece was flat...I used some JB Weld, let it sit over night and it was stronger than new.

Gary

An old trick that I read about years ago and successfully used on the plastic tabs on my old Goldwing is to use Krazy Glue with some baking powder sprinkled on. The chemical reaction almost tends to weld the plastic parts together somehow.

If I recall correctly, the body work on the FJR is ABS plastic. Obtain some ABS pipe cement, scrape or sand off all of the paint, and glue the two pieces to gather. You can then brush on addition glue to re-enforce the break point. Let the glue cure for 24 hours or so before using.

Plastic welding means melting the plastic back together again. I taught myself to do this with a soldering iron. I sometimes add some extra plastic from zip ties to add plastic bulk to the seam. The ABS plastic melts well and the seam becomes as strong as the original if you melt it completely.

Some of it will burn, and that's why I add extra.

I've used this technique on the fairing and even on the headlight assembly. It's strong and holds up well. Much much better than glue.

If you teach yourself this technique, you will not fear broken tabs and you won't feel the need to replace body panels for broken tabs.

+1 on Super Glue and baking soda.

+1 on the ABS welding. I thought the air welder would be easy, it kicked my ass.

I don't see how you get the weld area hot enough without melting the panel?

I use a soldering iron and ABS filler from McMaster Carr.

I started in to to the throttle return spring mod using Rickster's great post https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18322&hl=

and despite his perfectly clear instructions, and while pulling hard to the aft, when one side of the plastic tank cover came off, the tab broke.

Maybe it had been previously weakened or maybe it was too cold, in any case, has anyone had success repairing this?

BrokenTab5.jpg

thanks.

BrokenTab5.jpg

thanks.

I broke mine 2 years ago and went to a industrial strength type Velcro.

It is holding up fine.

Its been so friggin cold I held off putting it back together. Got up to a balmy 42 degrees yesterday so I put some armorall (didn't have silicon spray handy) on the rubber gussets and it went togeather very nicely. Thanks for all the useful posts.

No one commented on my idea of using a thin metal or hard plastic ruler or some such to insert and push the pin back with when its time to take it off again? Have to think that will prevent damaging one of the tabs next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know that's the thing about this forum, not only can you find out how to skin a cat, but you can find 12 different ways to skin that cat. :yahoo:

With a little silicone lube (grease, spray or Armor All) , you'll be surprised at how easily those will come apart next time. It's the rubber sticking to the post that causes all the trouble.

Why they don't smear those with lube on assembly from the factory is a good question.

I have had good luck with plastic weld available at Lowes or Home Depot. It "welds" plastic parts together usually making the joint very strong. I'm not sure it would work on this application however it's worth a try...

Chris

Many thanks to the folks who suggested using lubricant on those rubber grommets. That had never occurred to me and I just did it. What an incredible difference it makes in getting that tank trim piece on and off the bike. My life is now meaningful and fulfilling, or, at least I can stop worrying about breaking that piece every time I take it off.

J.B.Weld! :) It's held two side cover grommet pegs on my dual sport for a very long time and lots of abuse. Give it a nice heavy dose and let it dry overnight. Re-install and ride. :yahoo: