BT-021, Hungry for twisties? These tires are Yummy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a new set waiting to go on now. I'm down to the wear bars on the 020's with 7600 on the odometer.. I'll have to see how the 021's do over the summer.
Just to add to the scrum....Just over 5000 on the stock Metzlers. Loved them to begin...not happy with them now, especially the front. Avon Storms going on Thursday and I can't wait!

g

Come back tomarrow ladies and gentlemen to "As The Tire Turns". Or, "If You Got Um, Smoke Em". The tire saga continues. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a new set waiting to go on now. I'm down to the wear bars on the 020's with 7600 on the odometer.. I'll have to see how the 021's do over the summer.
Just to add to the scrum....Just over 5000 on the stock Metzlers. Loved them to begin...not happy with them now, especially the front. Avon Storms going on Thursday and I can't wait!

g
I also have about 5k on the stock Metzlers - but I am going o try the BT021's. We have a 3500 mile road trip next month - these should work.

Diane

MM2....you shouldn't see front cupping because they changed the tread design do to those exact complaints with the old stones ....just FYI.... :rolleyes: ....
Cupping wouldn't be that big an issue until the last 20% of the tread life. It just means the side tread is doing its job....and its just mildly irritating.

On the other hand.....3,000 miles tire life?????? :dribble:

Mike, you gotta remember that everyone gets different mileage out of their tires. I'm up to around 2500 miles on the set I mounted a few weeks ago and they still look fresh. I usually get around 7000-8000 miles out of Avon Azaro's and about the same out of Pilot Roads.

I'm interested in all the discussions here as I'm looking for a replacement for my Metzeler Z6's. My opinion of the the current tyres is that they are better than the Z4's they replaced (not hard). Wear is fine - 6000 miles and still going. Grip is fine - plenty of confidence in the wet (I am in England, ya know) and good enough in the dry to scrape the pegs.

Now, I would not have considered 020's because of the cupping issue. Had that exact problem on my ST1100, although they lasted 10k miles a set.

So I am keen on the reports on the 021's and how they last.

Am also looking at the Michelin Pilot Road 2's that have just come out - they are dual compound too.... :rolleyes:

MM2....you shouldn't see front cupping because they changed the tread design do to those exact complaints with the old stones ....just FYI.... :rolleyes: ....
Cupping wouldn't be that big an issue until the last 20% of the tread life. It just means the side tread is doing its job....and its just mildly irritating.

On the other hand.....3,000 miles tire life?????? :dribble:
I have 6,800 miles on my 06 FJR with the BT20's. Everything appeared fine until last week when I discovered a slight headshake & after inspecting the front tire found the dreaded cupping. Thought I could make 10k with what was left of the tread, but not now.

I ordered a front BT21 from Motosport.com for 99.99 + free shipping. I'm keeping the rear BT20 cause I'm no where near the wear bars.

I put on a set of the 021's recently in preparation for a 4000 mile, two up trip I'm taking to the Southwest in a couple of weeks. I sure hope I'm not on the cords as I pull back into the driveway. I have about 500 miles on them and so far, I like how they feel, but would not be happy with anything less than 5,000 miles for how I ride. I kept the 020's at 42psi, and due to usually needing to change out before the tires were wore to the bone, the cupping on the 020's wasn't a big issue with me. I do like the new tread design on the 021's, I just hope I get equal life out of them. I guess I'll find out.

I put on a set of the 021's recently in preparation for a 4000 mile, two up trip I'm taking to the Southwest in a couple of weeks. I sure hope I'm not on the cords as I pull back into the driveway. I have about 500 miles on them and so far, I like how they feel, but would not be happy with anything less than 5,000 miles for how I ride. I kept the 020's at 42psi, and due to usually needing to change out before the tires were wore to the bone, the cupping on the 020's wasn't a big issue with me. I do like the new tread design on the 021's, I just hope I get equal life out of them. I guess I'll find out.
You should be fine. I replaced my rear at 7525 miles and the cords were not showing. I was at the wear bars but I think I could of hit 8000 miles. Why push it.

It's a great tire. You should be happy with them.

I was concerned after hearing some people talking about how fast the 021's were wearing for them, but 1200 miles since I put them on, and they seem just fine. The one complaint I have is that the front tire is LOUD. I know one other forum member mentioned this something, but I have not heard from anyone else. Anybody have any idea why the tire would sound like one of the all terrains off of my pick-up truck? Pressure is right where is should be, so I have no idea.

Bridgestone is still reccommending the BT020. Specifically the "N" code (article#00978) tire. The "N" code tire is actually a higher load capacity tire that never was certified at the higher pressures as the application did not call for them. If I were going to run loaded and/or 2 up and use 42-44, it would be with the 020's. I have them on and they handle quite well and are extremely stable. More specifically they were specially designed just for the FJR, not just by Bstone but in conjunction with Yamaha engineers and remain the only 3 ply casing tire in that size. Some riders have had issues with the fronts cupping, especially if run below 40psi but I think most riders have gotten good results with the rears. I think there has always been an "in vogue" attitude that OE tires do not offer what some hot aftermarket treads do. Tests done don't help as they inevitably use bikes that are 150lbs lighter for the tests. Also I think they have suffered at the hands of internet wholesalers and small dealers inventories. One of the guys I ride with said he hated the 020's that he had put on just 3 months ago. We checked and not only were they the wrong code, they were made in 2003! Installed by our local dealer who had not a clue of either mistake. Rubber gets harder with age. Make sure you get a fresh one. I have also seen N's on R6's! Bet they weren't very happy either.
Interesting, ....but it *SEEMS* that the BT021 are coming OEM on the new connie, which is fatter and more powerful than the FJR
--------------

I've ran two rears and one front of the BT-021now. I've put about 3K on each rear, and each one I'd guess has aprox 1k left. so for me, about the same as the other tires I've used ..maybe not quite as good. The front has nearly 6K and is about toast, wore splendid and perfect until about 5K then signs of wear. Still, it handles well, no head shake etc ...but doesn't feel quite like it did when new and it is showing signs of abuse and slight cupping. These tires felt great on the FJR IMO, stable, confidence inspiring and real neutral handling.

I'll use up these two rears on shorter rides ..meanwhile getting read to order tires. Not sure what flavor I'll try this time.

Bridgestone is still reccommending the BT020. Specifically the "N" code (article#00978) tire. The "N" code tire is actually a higher load capacity tire that never was certified at the higher pressures as the application did not call for them. If I were going to run loaded and/or 2 up and use 42-44, it would be with the 020's. I have them on and they handle quite well and are extremely stable. More specifically they were specially designed just for the FJR, not just by Bstone but in conjunction with Yamaha engineers and remain the only 3 ply casing tire in that size. Some riders have had issues with the fronts cupping, especially if run below 40psi but I think most riders have gotten good results with the rears. I think there has always been an "in vogue" attitude that OE tires do not offer what some hot aftermarket treads do. Tests done don't help as they inevitably use bikes that are 150lbs lighter for the tests. Also I think they have suffered at the hands of internet wholesalers and small dealers inventories. One of the guys I ride with said he hated the 020's that he had put on just 3 months ago. We checked and not only were they the wrong code, they were made in 2003! Installed by our local dealer who had not a clue of either mistake. Rubber gets harder with age. Make sure you get a fresh one. I have also seen N's on R6's! Bet they weren't very happy either.
Interesting, ....but it *SEEMS* that the BT021 are coming OEM on the new connie, which is fatter and more powerful than the FJR
--------------

I've ran two rears and one front of the BT-021now. I've put about 3K on each rear, and each one I'd guess has aprox 1k left. so for me, about the same as the other tires I've used ..maybe not quite as good. The front has nearly 6K and is about toast, wore splendid and perfect until about 5K then signs of wear. Still, it handles well, no head shake etc ...but doesn't feel quite like it did when new and it is showing signs of abuse and slight cupping. These tires felt great on the FJR IMO, stable, confidence inspiring and real neutral handling.

I'll use up these two rears on shorter rides ..meanwhile getting read to order tires. Not sure what flavor I'll try this time.
My 07 FJR came with 021's. Have a hair less than 8,000 miles on them. Slight cupping on the front and the cord doesn't show yet on either.

Ran 39 psi front and 41 rear most of the time.

I'm on my third day now with the 21's and they are hands down the best handling tire my FJR has seen in its 31.8k life. Previous tire was the Stradas and while giving decent handling dry, the wet performance and turn in in general left me wanting more.

By comparison, the 21 had me smiling by the 3rd corner. Steering effort is light compared to the Diablos. Today, riding two up and them barely scrubbed in I was loving the turn in confidence and precision they provided. Seemed straight line bumps were not transmitted to the seat as harshly as the Strada E rear, though the front seems about the same.

Heard on-line here that durabilty may not be all that ? Considering my preference for the tires current traits it would have to be really significant for me to be disappointed with these.

Have about 1800 miles on my bt 021s and...very nice handling tire but the front is flat spotting rear is also flat spotting but no worse the the bt 020. Subject to some very spirited riding for 550 miles lot's of nice roads but a LONG straight drone to get to the good roads.Of course the FJR is made exactly for this type of riding . I wish that I could get a tire that was also made for the long drone to the mountains.