BT-021 Tire Noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varkdriver

Reaction score
I'm new to the FJR1300 and new to the forum and have a very distracting noise I am trying to figure out. I get a very distinct "roaring" sound coming from the lower front of my 08 FJR that starts at about 10mph and gets louder until the wind noise overcomes it. Even with full face and ear plugs it is very easy to hear and does not sound like its coming from the engine. I suspect its tire noise from the the BT-021 front tire, but have no experience with this tire. Anybody else notice this noise? All help is appreciated!

I'm new to the FJR1300 and new to the forum and have a very distracting noise I am trying to figure out. I get a very distinct "roaring" sound coming from the lower front of my 08 FJR that starts at about 10mph and gets louder until the wind noise overcomes it. Even with full face and ear plugs it is very easy to hear and does not sound like its coming from the engine. I suspect its tire noise from the the BT-021 front tire, but have no experience with this tire. Anybody else notice this noise? All help is appreciated!
uh huh...but it doesn't get much worse with wear. just fricking annoying...

my front ended up having a wicked 'turn in' after a while, but they are coming off shortly in favor of a set of Michelin Pilot Roads II

Last edited by a moderator:
+2 on BT-021 front tire noise.

In fact, the 021 front just sux -- just the opposite of the 021 rear (IMO).

I've got a Kawi C-14 spec 021 front ready to put on -- to see if it's any better? It has somewhat different specifications than either the generic 021 or FJR spec 021.

We'll see.... :unsure:

Yup... it's the tires. At freeway speeds I am constantly checking to ensure there is not a semi creeping up on me. Helluva roar. The OEM's will be my last set of 'stones.

Yup... it's the tires. At freeway speeds I am constantly checking to ensure there is not a semi creeping up on me. Helluva roar. The OEM's will be my last set of 'stones.
Thanks, thought it must be the tires. I have set of PR2's on the garage waiting for my ignition replacement next week. Had Metz Z4 on my R1150R that did the same thing and went away when I put Metz Z6 on. If you look at the tread pattern on a front BT-021 it LOOKS like it would make noise. Thanks for the confirmation of my suspicion.

The 021 rear is a dandy tho..

Hang on to it and toss the front.

You might try the Pirelli Diablo Strada to finish off the 021 rear.

I was just starting my search for front end roar when I found this. I am amazed that a tire can produce so much noise. I was sure a bearing was bad it is so loud on my bike! :eek:

BT-021 Front with 4000 km, have it replace by my dealer, no recall from Bridgestone, dealer offers to replace it by a PR2 at his cost.

I had issues with the BT 21, the dealer told me at 2K that I needed new tires. I contacted Yamaha and Bridgestone; they just pointed fingers. I now am 7K into a set of Avon Storms no issues just smooth sailing and they love cornering

Yes. The tire noise is common with the Bridgestone 020s and 021s. It won't affect the tires capability so if you can live with the "roar", keep riding.

A quote from a riding friend:

[SIZE=8pt]"Tires are a wear item so why not try them all to see what you like the best." BikeEffects[/SIZE]