Buell Test rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalaxyBlue

Reaction score
My impressions:

I went tith a few friends for the Buell Demo days they are having. I thought i would share the experience with y'all! :)

1. Screaming Eagle VROD. :yahoo:

Very fine tuned machine! Handled fantastic, Power was unreal!, Looks were sharp! Price was 27k :unsure: ... Too rich for me, But if i had the money, I WOULD have one! :)

2. Ulysses <_<

Very unique, Very comfy, But the ride hight was too tall for me. :blink: The heat on my right thigh was incredible. :eek: Normal shake of the HD :haha:

~12k. Not really for me, But would be a great bike for what it was designed for. Dual sport. If i had the $$, I would own it. :)

3. Lightning long (XB12?) :)

Loved the bike! Handling was superb! Power was good, It was hard to get use to the low rev, Slow return of the motor compaired to the I-4, heat was unbearable on the right leg Due to the fans I think...~11-12k. Of all the Buells, This is the one i would buy.

Bottom line, I have a new respect for the Buell line from HD, They are a well crafted machine!

Cons.

The price difference between the bikes was about the same with the 1200cc. Weird how that works :unsure:

I rode a bunch of Buells during one of their demo days here in the Seattle area, and I came away a lot more impressed than I thought I would. They're actually pretty fun/flickable machines. Not sure I'd want to do a lot of miles on them, though.

I went to the Buell demo ride yesturday. I had a great day riding all the different models.

My fav was the xb12sX. It was pleanty powerful and you just have to think it through the corners.

I have been tossing around the idea of adding a second bike for corner carving and just scooting around town. I've always admired the uniqueness of the frame and swing arm setup. Not to mention the front brakes. Everything seems to work well together.

I one issue I have always noticed about every bike I've owned is the difference in handling from an almost empty tank compared to after I filled up. especialy the FJR. That's a lot of weight. This is not an issue the the Buell. Gas is in the frame and is evenly spread along the sides. So the bike is always balanced out. Or so it seems. I've spoken to a few friends that own XB modles and they love them. Admittedly they say that it is great as a second bike.

So now I'm gonna get me one. Unfortunatly I can only swing buying a used one right now.

Tim

So now I'm gonna get me one. Unfortunatly I can only swing buying a used one right now.
As far as I'm concerned, used is the way to go when buying a Buell. I bought an '03 XB9S a year ago. Yes, it was 2 model years old when I bought it. It was a dealer demo with 134 miles on it, yes 134 miles. I got a spectacular deal on it, including 2 years of Buell warranty. I've been pleasantly surprised thus far. It's a hoot to ride. I actually sold my '03 GSX-R750 a couple of months after I bought my Buell. I just wasn't riding the Gixxer anymore.

Does anyone on here own a XB12X Ulysses?

If so, what do you think of it compared to the FJR in passenger comfort and general handling?

Ever been off road with it?

My impressions:
3. Lightning long (XB12?) :)

Loved the bike! Handling was superb! Power was good, It was hard to get use to the low rev, Slow return of the motor compaired to the I-4, heat was unbearable on the right leg Due to the fans I think...~11-12k. Of all the Buells, This is the one i would buy.

How was the reach/seating position on this bike? Sportbike-ish or similar to the FJR? Every Buell dealership I've tried in So. Cal. doesn't have them in stock. :angry:

Thanks.