Building a Memorial for Jordan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
A friend of mine decided that a memorial to my son Jordan would be a fitting tribute to his memory so he procured a small piece of property from the village of Sag Harbor on which to build it. The site is directly at the end of our small Main Street, directly on the bay that Jordan loved so much, and about 50' away from a windmill. Some friends who are landscapers and irrigation guys donated the time, shrubs, sod, irrigation relocation, etc....at no charge. Coincidentally, the guy who is doing the landscaping is the Uncle of one of the 33 Marines that Jordan and Jonathan Yale are credited with saving. The monument will consist of 3 pieces of highly polished India Red granite. The bottom slab will measure 2' square by 8" high followed by a 20" square cube with the front of it slanted at an angle to receive text and that will be topped by a 5' tall obelisk with a rooftop cut (think Washington Monument). The obelisk will have the USMC seal etched into the stone with "1st battalion, 9th Marines" written along its length. The inscription on the monument will read: "In Memory of Lance Corporal Jordan C. Haerter Killed in Ramadi Iraq on April 22nd, 2008. A Native Son of Sag Harbor."

The monument will also carry the same quote I had put onto a bronze eagle that I had given him for his graduation from Parris Island....."This is courage in a man: To Bear Unflinchingly What Heaven Sends"....

Here are a few photos of the site so far.

A view of the freshly poured footing and some of the new landscaping. The view is looking towards Main Street

DSC_0135.jpg

This is the view standing in front of the monument looking out at the bay.

DSC_0138.jpg

Same view. The village wharf is on the right.

DSC_0137.jpg

The flyers posted about town. The community support has been overwhelming....

jordan.jpg

RIP son.

Jordaninhisballistics.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a terrific idea! :clapping: That will be a gorgeous tribute to your courageous son's memory. I can't wait to see photos of the finished memorial. Make sure and share some with us!

wow... :(

It is terrific that your neighbors are supporting you and your son in this way.

I remember being moved in grief attending a memorail ceremony for the first Wheaton resident to die in Iraq. Unfortunately, others from Wheaton have joined him.

My best wishes towards you and the tremendous community in Sag Harbor for doing this great memorial gift.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to make the trip down there this summer to see this memorial to your brave son. Perhaps if I can arrange it I would even like to meet you and shake the hand of the father of such a selfless young man. I know we've never met but I feel as though we know eachother, because, I, like many others on this forum have read all your posts about Jordan since the first one you wrote of his departure to Iraq. I look forward to more pictures of the memorial as it is completed. God Bless You Jordan.

This is great to hear, what an outstanding community you have there. RIP jordan.

Check in support of this is going in the mail asap.

Mike

Chris,

Again, my condolences for your loss.

My check in support is in the mail.

RIP Jordan

sal

Axeman,

A very nice community gesture. Wishing you and your Family health and wellness during this time of healing.

Matt.