Building a motorcycle lift... anyone????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
try finding a HANDY LIFT(made in Marshalltown Iowa,USA not CHINA). they are the standard that most bike shops use. I have heard a rumor though that the recession has taking a toll on their buss. and they may be going belly up. they are very well built. both air or electric. And they sell wings you can add to make it wide enough that even a QUADBILLY can use it.
Unfortunately, Handy is gone: Click

Still an awesome lift, if you can find one still in stock, I just wouldn't count on any service after the sale.

Craig

Thank you very much Wheatie, for your experienced opinion! I agree with wheatonFJR, I'd try a Harbor Freight lift first! For $70, plus tax, at you local HF, I would give this a try first!
https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capac...-lift-2792.html 1,500 lb. capacity, twice the weight of an FJR. Hopefully someone here who has one will give us an FJR consumers report.
A question 'beemerdons'...

I have two motorcycle lifts, one similar to the 'harborfreight' offering and another hydraulic lift which raises two supporting beams to lift a motorcycle. Neither are usable with my 2010 FJR as I'm unable to find two balancing support locations under the machine. How does the Harborfreight unit get around this?

How can we successfully lift this machine off the ground other than with a regular platform lift? I've jury-rigged a wooden contraption which I use in combination with the center stand and a low scissor jack to get just the front tire off the ground for removal. However, I've been largely unsuccessful in finding a means by which I can lift this bike and have both wheels free.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dale

Thank you very much Wheatie, for your experienced opinion! I agree with wheatonFJR, I'd try a Harbor Freight lift first! For $70, plus tax, at you local HF, I would give this a try first!
https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capac...-lift-2792.html 1,500 lb. capacity, twice the weight of an FJR. Hopefully someone here who has one will give us an FJR consumers report.
The best $70 I spent.
How do you lift your FJR with that type of jack? Do you have any pics of your bike on the jack?

Thanks,

Dale

Unfortunately, Handy is gone: Click
Still an awesome lift, if you can find one still in stock, I just wouldn't count on any service after the sale.
Too bad! I guess if you want one, now is the time as there should be some sales somewhere on them. As far as service after the sale, well, mine has never needed anything, so I wouldn't expect any problems.

There's always Direct Lift as well...

I put a lot of trust in my 1500lb hydraulic lift, mostly because of what I've been able to do with it. Mine's a Craftsman, but looks a lot like that HF one.
So in these pics it's hard to tell... are you putting the bike "bare" on the exhaust headers and whatnot, or you using some sort of spacer to keep the weight off the pipes?

Here's my work table.

Solid laminate top, bolted to 2x4's running the full length, 4x4 legs and 6" solid wheels.

Table height off the ground is 18"

The bike is tied normally tied down to the end rings.

The wheels are great as I can work on the bike for a bit then move it back against a wall to get the other vehicles in.

Chris

DSC01919.jpg

Here's my work table.
Solid laminate top, bolted to 2x4's running the full length, 4x4 legs and 6" solid wheels.

Table height off the ground is 18"

The bike is tied normally tied down to the end rings.

The wheels are great as I can work on the bike for a bit then move it back against a wall to get the other vehicles in.

Chris

DSC01919.jpg
Hey that is a great looking table. I am going to copy that thanks.

Oh by the way your rear tire looks flat. :rolleyes:

Sooooooooo...BugR's table is cool, but the OP's table was a death trap? I'll never understand you weirdos!

That does look like a nice platform though BugR.

A question 'beemerdons'...

I have two motorcycle lifts, one similar to the 'harborfreight' offering and another hydraulic lift which raises two supporting beams to lift a motorcycle. Neither are usable with my 2010 FJR as I'm unable to find two balancing support locations under the machine. How does the Harborfreight unit get around this?

How can we successfully lift this machine off the ground other than with a regular platform lift? I've jury-rigged a wooden contraption which I use in combination with the center stand and a low scissor jack to get just the front tire off the ground for removal. However, I've been largely unsuccessful in finding a means by which I can lift this bike and have both wheels free.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dale
Brother Dale, My sincere apologies, I just now saw your post; I was definitely not ignoring you. I am the Co-Rally Master of SW-FOG 2010 in Taos, New Mexico and when I return next week, I am going to buy this lift from my local Harbor Freight store. Then I will need to experiment with it and report back to you. My old creaky body can't handle working on the bike off the floor anymore! I also may have to build "contraptions" to lift up my five various bikes. I am retired from Metro Mechanical, so my old fabrication shop can build them out of metal for me. For only $70, it is worth a try to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooooooooo...BugR's table is cool, but the OP's table was a death trap? I'll never understand you weirdos!
Weirdos??? Did HotRodZilla actually say weirdos??? This is coming from a guy who dresses up armadillos in Victoria's Secret lingerie and has sex with them!!! And he calls all of us on the FJR Forum weirdos!!!

Let's look closely at the two tables:

Exhibit 1 (OP's original table design):

DSC02498.jpg

"Glued & screwed. Only things left are the leg supports, carpeting, paint and levelers (they will take the place of the casters). Used 2 pieces of 1/2 plywood (glued & power-nailed together), 2x4's & 2x2."

"Total height at finish will be 27"."

Exhibit 2 (BugR's table)

DSC01919.jpg

"Solid laminate top, bolted to 2x4's running the full length, 4x4 legs and 6" solid wheels.

Table height off the ground is 18". "

Things wrong with Exhibit #1:

Table is too narrow for the height. Ramp is too narrow for safety. I'd want a full width ramp.

1/2" plywood is just too flimsy to support this kind of weight per sq in. 3/4" would be the minimum for this weight load.

Drywall screws were used for assembly. I know the glue is the primary attachment mechanism, but drywall screws are brittle and shouldn't be used except to hold up drywall. Use lag bolts or drill and use through bolts and nuts/washers

Legs are too too tall for the width, whole thing looks like it would tip over sideways with the bike's weight on it. Longer legs allow too much leverage on the table top to leg joints in the lateral direction. Diagonal bracing was intended in one direction (fore and aft) but there was no side to side bracing. Those long legs would fold sideways.

But most importantly, did anyone else notice that BugR's bike already has some kind of a wild crash frame surrounding the bike for the eventual table crash? :rolleyes:

"But most importantly, did anyone else notice that BugR's bike already has some kind of a wild crash frame surrounding the bike for the eventual table crash? "

That is because he has a flat rear tire. :rolleyes:

"But most importantly, did anyone else notice that BugR's bike already has some kind of a wild crash frame surrounding the bike for the eventual table crash? "
Let's hope he doesn't need them.

I also have a handy lift (10740) with the 12" side extensions and front wheel clamp. Works great for motorcycles, ATVs, and Lawn & Garden tractor maintenance, etc. It is very stable with the pipe extension that came with the side extension kit.

Yes, they are expensive but two things for sure, it will outlive you and it can't be stolen by one person and probably not two. It weighs about 400# with the extensions attached, over 300# without.

Sooooooooo...BugR's table is cool, but the OP's table was a death trap? I'll never understand you weirdos!That does look like a nice platform though BugR.
Weirdos??? Did HotRodZilla actually say weirdos??? This is coming from a guy who dresses up armadillos in Victoria's Secret lingerie and has sex with them!!! And he calls all of us on the FJR Forum weirdos!!!
Would that be on or off a lift? :unsure: