Burned by Shinko Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinmorris22

Reaction score
I just wanted to share my experience with Shinko Tires on my 08 FJR. I have a video attached to the article to demonstrate the problems I was having.

Just wondering if this is common to other riders experience or if I just happened to get a bad run of tires?

Video of Shinko Tire problems

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to share my experience with Shinko Tires on my 08 FJR. I have a video attached to the article to demonstrate the problems I was having.

Just wondering if this is common to other riders experience or if I just happened to get a bad run of tires?

I tried a set of the 009s on my Suzuki GSX650F, and they did the same thing. Major shimmy at about 45mph, and they were very "hard" feeling. I junked them and went back to the Michelin PRs on the bike, and once again a happy camper.

My brother and a couple friends have used Shinkos on the back of their sport bikes without issues.

I don't think it is accurate for you to say that "Shinko tires are unsafe". But you can say that the specific Shinko tire you have is unsafe on your FJR. Once we get more data points we may be able to back up your claim.

in my experience Avon Storms have had more problems than Shinko's. Either way I'm still sticking with PR2's and PR3's.

Valid point

My brother and a couple friends have used Shinkos on the back of their sport bikes without issues.

I don't think it is accurate for you to say that "Shinko tires are unsafe". But you can say that the specific Shinko tire you have is unsafe on your FJR. Once we get more data points we may be able to back up your claim.

in my experience Avon Storms have had more problems than Shinko's. Either way I'm still sticking with PR2's and PR3's.

Any tire will do that as is wears, especially if it cups or has had a life of inconsistent pressures (leading to uneven wearing.) A new tire probably shouldn't ought do that, though, but as long as any amount of bar pressure makes it stop, it's really not an issue.

My half-lived front tire does just as bad as the one you showed, and I'm not the least bit concerned about it. it doesn't take much to move the tire's contact patch a couple millimeters one side or the other of the bike's centerline, and when it moves, the tire steers.

Still, nobody is going to be surprised or astonished at anyone saying that the Shinkos aren't the best tire money can buy. Not a news flash!

My 12 K azaro looked the same way. Granted the shinkos are a "cheap" tire, wear pattern is affected by many variables..

I run a Orange Electronics TPMS on my FJR so all my tires are within a pound or two of recommended pressure. At most any of the tires here had 500 to 700 miles on them. Way too little to be experiencing any problems.

I am on my 3rd set of Shinko Ravens. I have used them both on my 07 and 08. The last set I changed out at around 10K but still had plenty of tread to go, however I am getting ready to launch a 5400 mile road trip. I have had no shimmy problems other than the normal wear and tear as the miles get put on. This was true weather it be Dunlop, Michelin or Shinkos. Matter of fact on my Concours, the Michelin Road Pilots were the worst. I found them (the Shinkos) to be a great touring tire and worked well in the rain as well. No lost confidence in the tire when wet.

YMMV

Willie

as long as any amount of bar pressure makes it stop, it's really not an issue.

My half-lived front tire does just as bad as the one you showed, and I'm not the least bit concerned about it. it doesn't take much to move the tire's contact patch a couple millimeters one side or the other of the bike's centerline, and when it moves, the tire steers.
I'm with Walt here.. Way too much Analisum when it comes to tire pressure.. Personally a pound or two isn't squat when it comes to this kinda shit.. like Nascar, Indycar, Moto GP.. etc.. It's more of a psychological issue than a handling or wear thing. Suspension settings are far and away more critical.

I'd love to crew chief for a day and lie to the rider/driver about miniscule air pressure adjustments.

I suspect my "adjusted' pressure would solve handling problems.

When I bought my used 2009 FJR last year (it had 8500 kms), it came with a Shinko 009 Raven tire on the front. The bike was pushed at speeds in excess of 180 km/h and I have no complaints with regards to the tire (grip, shimmy etc). For an economy tire it seems like a good option. I did change the tire this year seeing that the rear was done (OEM Bridgestone) and I wanted a matching set (yup, I am anal about those details). I went with Pirelli Angel ST... yes they do grip more than the Shinko (softer compound) but there is a big difference in price.

Hey Kids!

I finally replaced my Shinkos after just a little over 9,000 miles of what I consider to be normal use. After careful examination at Dave's shop I gotta tell ya, These tires were unsafe to drive on!

The tire tread blocks had almost all delaminated from the cord body/carcass of the tire! Even the inner rubber layer was blistered up from the cord at each tread block. I've never seen anything like it! Both tires had lots of tread left on them, just the tread wasn't securely adhered to the tire.

I understand from talking to someone from ADVrider at bike night that the early tires came out of molds that were not hot enough to provide proper bonding between the components. Seems I had a set of those. Perhaps the new tires don't have this problem but I would need lots of assurance from the manufacture before I buy another set.

Stay Safe!

Brad
When the Shinko 705 tires came out, just about everybody in my BMW Club AZ Beemers went out and bought a set for their GS's. And every one of them delaminated!

There MUST be a reason they're consistently referred to on motorcycle forums as "Stinkos"!

Jes' sayin' and 'nuff said!

There MUST be a reason they're consistently referred to on motorcycle forums as "Stinkos"!

It's kind of like buying a Yugo and then griping because it doesn't ride like a Cadillac and breaks down alot. NEVER cheap out on tires, brakes, or guns. Your life depends on them.

It's kind of like buying a Yugo and then griping because it doesn't ride like a Cadillac and breaks down alot. NEVER cheap out on tires, brakes, or guns. Your life depends on them.
I had a pair of the bias Shinkos on my Caponord.....no problems. They were the equivalent of the Metzeler Tourances.

I don't understand why people will spend $12-14000 on a motorcycle and then go buy a shit set of tires to put on it. And then expect the tires to perform properly. Makes no sense. You got what you paid for SHIT.