Burned by Shinko Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just mounted one of those "sh!tty" Shinkos on the rear of my BMW ($19k+). Paired it with a new PR2 in the front. Took it out for a 250 mile break-in run. No surprises. Handles as good as with the prior Z6's. So far, so good...

However, the set of OEM Z6's I removed taught me one thing for certain: I will never use another tire without center tread wear indicators (e.g. Z6). I can do without the surprise of finding a steel belt exposed when the closest wear indicator showing significantly more miles available.

Well, I just mounted one of those "sh!tty" Shinkos on the rear of my BMW ($19k+). Paired it with a new PR2 in the front. Took it out for a 250 mile break-in run. No surprises. Handles as good as with the prior Z6's. So far, so good...

However, the set of OEM Z6's I removed taught me one thing for certain: I will never use another tire without center tread wear indicators (e.g. Z6). I can do without the surprise of finding a steel belt exposed when the closest wear indicator showing significantly more miles available.
Feel the same about Z4, Z6, Z(whatever). Luckily I was at Rider Cycle in Belen when Rex noticed the belts(I had just ridden 200 miles from

down south to Belen at 75-100+ mph on old hwy one). So put a Shinko Raven on the rear and Shinko's more agressive tire on front.

Rear lasted 4000+ so since front looked good added another Raven to rear & left front alone. This rear got 4400 so I swapped front

& rear for Michelin Pilot Road. I check my tires before every ride BUT when I saw the Shinko front off the bike in full sunlight

it scared the hell out of me, it was wango & wierd. The complete set of Pilot Roads cost $223.00 delivered so I think if I like these

I will stay with them.

I don't understand why people will spend $12-14000 on a motorcycle and then go buy a shit set of tires to put on it. And then expect the tires to perform properly. Makes no sense. You got what you paid for SHIT.
All I can think of is that they will never be pushing their bike at any sort of performance...because the Shtinkos capability is far lower than the FJR that is sitting on them..

They are hard rubber with less grip than a good rider needs...unless flat tracking around corners is your riding style. :)

There are much better tires out there for the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an 009 Raven on the back of my FJR and while it doesn't hold air anywhere near as well as a PR2 and won't last as long, otherwise it's OK for me as long as I'm willing to keep an eye on the pressure.

while it doesn't hold air anywhere near as well as a PR2 and won't last as long, otherwise it's OK
If it doesn't hold air, or last long, or stick to the (wet) road....I'm thinking it may NOT be suitable for my (bike) life. ;)

"Money only matters if you are healthy and happy in your life"

Metzlers are know for wearing the last little bit extremely fast. No surprise if you ran it that close to no tread left.

I'll be putting on a used Shinko rear this week. Not sure of the model, but the dimensions are correct. I'll let you know what I think.

I'm one of those guys who likes to start long rides on new rubber, front and rear. Not only does it minimize the chance that I'll have to swap tires on the trip, but I also get that "new bike feeling".

The corollary to that is that I run my tires bald, and through the first layer of rubber, when I'm just riding around close to home, say, within 200 miles. I figure I can get home to the tire changing machine within that distance, even on cords. Mind you, this only applies to the rear tires ... I'm more picky about the "squish away the water" job of the front tires.

Sure, 14k on a PR2 or an old Angel ST means I'm riding on squared off hoops, but this is Minnesota. There isn't much leaning required, and long rides result in furthering the squaring off of tires. I'd rather continue to square off an old Shinko than a fresh PR3 I'm saving for the mountains. If the tires are too squared off to be fun and I'm heading to the alphabet roads, then I'll take the SV650 instead.

I am somewhat concerned about wet traction, but I can mitigate that by watching the weather report.

So, that's the way I do it. I'm interested to see how the Shinko holds up .. I think it has about 2,000 miles left in it. I'll keep you posted.

Got a pair of Shinko's on my 05 right now......front is getting a little worn but has about 8 or 9K on it so I'm pondering the replacement. Just a tiny bit of shimmy around 45-55 region, no biggie.......got a new Shinko for the front in stock and a Michelin for the rear coming up so will see if that's better........I keep the suckers aired up pretty tight 40 or 43lbs......

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a pair of Shinko's on my 05 right now......front is getting a little worn but has about 8 or 9K on it so I'm pondering the replacement. Just a tiny bit of shimmy around 45-55 region, no biggie.......got a new Shinko for the front in stock and a Michelin for the rear coming up so will see if that's better........I keep the suckers aired up pretty tight 40 or 43lbs......

I wouldn't put a grippy rear tire combined with a less grippy front tire. I found out the hard way from my own personal experience.

I wouldn't put a grippy rear tire combined with a less grippy front tire. I found out the hard way from my own personal experience.

+1, Gunny; WheatonFJR is absolutely correct, that combination is just an accident waiting to happen!

+1, Gunny; WheatonFJR is absolutely correct, that combination is just an accident waiting to happen!

Such good information, it was worth mentioning twice!

Such good information, it was worth mentioning twice!

I'll be putting on a used Shinko rear this week. Not sure of the model, but the dimensions are correct. I'll let you know what I think.

I'm one of those guys who likes to start long rides on new rubber, front and rear. Not only does it minimize the chance that I'll have to swap tires on the trip, but I also get that "new bike feeling".

The corollary to that is that I run my tires bald, and through the first layer of rubber, when I'm just riding around close to home, say, within 200 miles. I figure I can get home to the tire changing machine within that distance, even on cords. Mind you, this only applies to the rear tires ... I'm more picky about the "squish away the water" job of the front tires.
while i do the former, having the back slide out like in your avatar at relaxed commuting speeds on dry pavement cured me of the latter.

while i do the former, having the back slide out like in your avatar at relaxed commuting speeds on dry pavement cured me of the latter.
You forgot to say it twice. Jeebus Bounce, don't you know anything?

You forgot to say it twice. Jeebus Bounce, don't you know anything?