Burnt Textile On Exhaust Pipe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrloveland

Reaction score
How does one remove burnt textile from a chrome exhaust pipe?

Wife got a little too close and left a nice mess on the pipe. She has a nice burnt spot in her textile pants also.

Any suggestions on cleaning the pipes?

I was able to get some burned rubber from tennis shoes off with the copper type steel wool-The kind used for pots & pans. Might give it a try. Good luck.

I burned Gore-Tex onto my first Yoshi can. Yoshimura said they buff it out. So I got a buffing wheel for my angle grinder, got a tube of white rouge (grinding compound, not makeup :lol: ) and buffed it out. After a few weeks, the can got brown again and I buffed it out again. The third time I buffed it by hand with SimiChrome polish. That finally did it. But I needed the wheel to get it really smooth. Steel wool wouldn't work, no solvent would work. The rouge got the S/S back to a true mirror finish, with no tiny scratches.

Then I dumped bike and ended up replacing the can anyway! :bigeyes: :eh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to a fabric store and look for this stuff called Dritz - it's a cleaner for irons. It is amazing. Gor for a ride and heat the pipes up then put a little dab on a soft cloth (folded over a few times so you don't burn yourself - then rub it in. Stuff comes right off and no abrasives int the gel. Got a huge mark from a rain suit off of my Roadie pipes without any issues with the chrome.

I used to own a BMW R1200C and its SS cans were positioned in such a way that they would invariably burn a passenger's trousers or melt my boot soles.

Cleaning them became a routine.

Cans need to be real hot (as in coming back from an hour's ride). Generously pour acetone on a terry rag and use it to soak the residue on the can for a second -- then rub it off.

Try not to inhale the darn stuff, though :rolleyes: .

Stef

I used to own a BMW R1200C and its SS cans were positioned in such a way that they would invariably burn a passenger's trousers or melt my boot soles.
Cleaning them became a routine.

Cans need to be real hot (as in coming back from an hour's ride). Generously pour acetone on a terry rag and use it to soak the residue on the can for a second -- then rub it off.

Try not to inhale the darn stuff, though :rolleyes: .

Stef
Thanks

I first used the oven cleaner and it got most of it off

Then I did the acetone when my wife rode it home from work and it came off.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Found this on FJROwners .com.

[SIZE=14pt]I use Mother's Wheel Polish and it comes right off. $30 will buy a lot of polish and beer.[/SIZE]

I haven't tried anything myself yet, but I'll have to soon. My boots are depositing all kinds of sole on the pipes. Guess I need to do the Cobra exhaust shield mod of Warchild's. Anyone else done anything other than that nod that works?

best stuff is called Bush's metal polish. it is a liquid in a plastic bottle, and is sold at most truck stops. truckers use it on their aluminum wheels etc. just apply, let it soften the junk and keep rubbing. Non Abrasive.............VT :haha:

I had a student in one the MSF classes I taught tell me that she uses Fast Orange cleaner to remove rubber from her Harley's pipes. I doubted but I tried it and it took the piece of melted Sidi sole off my FJR's pipe very nicely.

I have the cure, this just happened to me. Heat the bike up and get what you can off using a wooden popsicle stick, then once cooled down use BonAmi non abraisive sink cleaner. BonAmi can be purchased in any supermarket by the comet products. You will not even need to repolish the area. Regards, Greg

Why not just take a propane torch and finish the job. Nylon melts at 540 degrees F. Just melt it and and wipe it off with an old rag. Please wear leather gloves.