Butt-burn!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you tame the saddlesores??

• Sheepskin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Airhawk

• Bead Rider

• Gel pad

• Other

• Don't ride far enough to make it an issue

• Total voters
I've got Rick Mayer's saddles. Lorie and I just did 2 x 200 mile days in friggin' 95+ degree temps w/o a hint of monkey butt. Both wear "Wickers" skivvies and mesh tex trou - best $17 I've spent to date!

Not a hint of an option for "custom saddle".
Geeze.

Sorry, but I was looking for input on saddle "supplements", not a totally different saddle. I already had the Sargeant rework job done which I feel was a vast improvement over the stocker or the Corbin "close" my bike came with. I'm sure the true custom saddles like the "day long" or Rick Mayer, are all quite comfy. Unfortunately, I feel (my opinion only) that they typically look like John Deere tractor saddles. I'm not willing to put up with that appearance or pricetag for the (maybe) 10 days a year I'll actually need the extra comfort. For those 10 or so days a year, I could add a sheepskin (which seem to have made a good showing in the poll) for about 1/20th the price, and only look at it when I need to.

My thoughts going into all this, were that the most popular seat supplements were sheepskin, airhawk, and bead rider. I don't think I'd do an Airhawk, because I hate air mattresses, and as any suspension guy will tell you...air makes a lousy spring. Beadriders or the like are certainly favored by people who drive for a living, like taxi drivers or couriers, but I've sat on them and don't really care for the feel. Sheepskin however, or some reasonable facsimile is what's used for bedridden patients to keep them from getting bed-sores. That is, people who are stationary for long periods. Sheepskin also doesn't look too awful. So I was leaning towards the sheepskin going into this, but wanted to hear from those who are using something 'other than' a true custom saddle.

I love to do LD rides. The wife...not so much. My work schedule wouldn't allow too many of them a year anyway. If I was semi-retired, or just had a job that allowed me lots more time off, I might feel differently about the whole thing. But given my situation, the Sargeant is good for a couple hundred miles a day 2-up...far more I'm sure if I'm riding solo. For those (unfortunately) too-rare occasions when the wife and I are gonna do alotta riding, I suspect the sheepskin will help alot. If it doesn't, I'll be the first to let you know. ;)

Something else to consider with after market saddles is size and shape. Some of the saddles are pretty wide and have what look like wings along the sides. They may be comfortable for long rides but will get in the way if you are trying to get down low in the twisties. I don't actually hang off or put my knee down, but there are times when I slide from side to side on the seat to get my weight down low in the turns. Not sure you can do that with the wide seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished a SS1K at the WFO5 through Nevada. I have done many long days and been in the saddle up to 22 hours. Nothing, let me say NOTHING beats a Russell. I have had a Rick Mayer, a Corbin and stock. All the customs have been ride ins. Including the stock on the Russell does its job. I have no discomfort except my throttle hand. It may look ugly to some but to my arse its sweet. Actually the wings help support part of your butt to keep the pressure points from happening. No burn means more miles in complete comfort.

I have sheepskin and lately I have put some extra pieces of foam under the sheepskin. The foam is an old piece you would put on a mattress (I cut it up). All that works well, but after 300 miles I can feel the pressure points and my tailbone getting sore.

I would say the main cause is the shape of the seat and how the ass pressure is dispersed on it.

Thinking about a Corbin or Russell but it will be pricey to the GWN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geeze.
Well I'll add my 2 cents, I rode my fjrfor 50,00 miles on stock seat and two 1k miles before I moved up to a custom seat :yahoo: :clapping: . Yes they can be pricey but your rideing because you enjoy it so spend a little and get a true custon seat for you and your wife and it will take a 1k miles still to break it in.I'de go for vinal if you ride in the rain or tend to get caught in it as my GL1800 leather seat looks like hell because of the rain but still functional so went with vinal for my fjr custom seat and now wonder what took me so long to switch. I've got a Mayer seat from Ojai Ca rode in but you can give them your measures and pix of you on the bike and send in your seat and they'll do one for you but it takes time and if you dont mind being witout a bike for time it takes to build. Its better to do a trip and ride in takes them about 4 hrs to build your seat as they make you ride it without the cover on then they can make adjustments to it if needed. sorry for the book but the only way I know how to explain it to you.

rogerfjrfaster :D

rogerfjrfaster said:

Geeze.
Well I'll add my 2 cents, I rode my fjrfor 50,00 miles on stock seat and two 1k miles before I moved up to a custom seat :yahoo: :clapping: . Yes they can be pricey but your rideing because you enjoy it so spend a little and get a true custon seat for you and your wife and it will take a 1k miles still to break it in.I'de go for vinal if you ride in the rain or tend to get caught in it as my GL1800 leather seat looks like hell because of the rain but still functional so went with vinal for my fjr custom seat and now wonder what took me so long to switch. I've got a Mayer seat from Ojai Ca rode in but you can give them your measures and pix of you on the bike and send in your seat and they'll do one for you but it takes time and if you dont mind being witout a bike for time it takes to build. Its better to do a trip and ride in takes them about 4 hrs to build your seat as they make you ride it without the cover on then they can make adjustments to it if needed. sorry for the book but the only way I know how to explain it to you.

You'll feel a lot better even on shorter rides am\nd I'm talking about 350 mile rides not to the store rides.

Totally agree with Smitty141,get a day-long,ride day long.Love the air-ride seat on my flhtp for smoothing out the road,but am still squirming at long distance.Distance is no factor on my day-long.