Buying an '03 tomorrow, any advice?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjm204

Reaction score
I'm picking up a very clean 2003 FJR with 3,000 miles on it tomorrow. I've been talking with the guy for a week, went and looked at it. Everything seems good so far. I have not ridden it yet due to it raining when I went. He said no test ride in the rain. The bike could easily pass for new. It started right up and I did not hear anything odd sounding.

Of course after all the stuff I have read on ticking, I am a little nervous about buying a Gen 1 but I am trying to keep from spending any money above the bike I am selling(2007 VFR800).

Anyway, anything I should check when I go to pick it up tomorrow, anything FJR specific?

Looking forward to the ride home on what I expect to be the best bike I've ever had.

Is $6500 fair for a Mint 2003 with 3,000 miles on it?

I did find a couple for a few hundred less but they had way more miles

Given the stupidly low miles, probably.

The question I'd have is: was it ridden for 3k, then parked for 6-7 years?

Or was it ridden a little here, a little there, with some regular frequency?

Also, even though it didn't see a lot of miles, did it get regular service?

It's basically a new bike at 3k, but if it wasn't put away properly if it sat... there could be other issues. Or it might be perfect. :unsure:

If it's a bike you want, and the deal is right, buy it. It's like a new bike for 1/2 price.

Enjoy it and don't look back. :yahoo:

Any advice?

Yeah, sure.....go read THIS.

A year newer, $2000 cheaper , ABS brakes, better suspension, bigger front rotors, (IMO) prettier color, glovebox.......

If you can pick up '04s now for $4500, then $6500 is WAY too much for an 03.

p,

Call Yamaha with the VIN number to see how the Service Records are with the TSB's etc., 800-962-7926 Yamaha Customer Service-Cypress/CA.

Good Luck with you purchase.

Yea well that one for $4500 has 42,000 miles, was a ticker, needs tires, and brakes...so there goes the savings in my oppinion. I found another 03 with 7,000 miles for $6,000 but this one is closer and the seller has been very helpful.

I called the customer service number(thanks). She said no recalls or TSB's outstanding. There was a 90A(I think it was A) that is optional. I asked about ticking, she didn't seem to know about it.

I like the bike, price seems reasonable given the mileage and my geographic area. I'd like to get it for 6,000 but this guy just seems more trustworthy than the bike I saw for 6,000 and it has half the mileage. It truly is in showroom condition.

I called the customer service number(thanks). She said no recalls or TSB's outstanding. There was a 90A(I think it was A) that is optional. I asked about ticking, she didn't seem to know about it.
I like the bike, price seems reasonable given the mileage and my geographic area. I'd like to get it for 6,000 but this guy just seems more trustworthy than the bike I saw for 6,000 and it has half the mileage. It truly is in showroom condition.
Well you could offer 6 grand. All he can do is say no.

You can waste a lot of good riding time over 500 bucks if you walk away and look for another one. Trust me, you won't care one bit about it by the end of your first day with the bike.

I will double the mileage within a month...definitely going to do my first SS1k soon. Just did multiple 800 mile days on my KLR650 on my way back from the Trans American Trail.

Looking forward to this bike. Hoping to enjoy many miles on it. Hopefully I keep it longer than I kept my VFR.

I will double the mileage within a month...definitely going to do my first SS1k soon. Just did multiple 800 mile days on my KLR650 on my way back from the Trans American Trail.
Looking forward to this bike. Hoping to enjoy many miles on it. Hopefully I keep it longer than I kept my VFR.

Before you take it for a long ride- visit the bin o' facts on this site and have a mechanic look over things like the moly on the drive splines- change all the fluids ect. You wouldn't want to go on a long ride and have some crude let loose and then give you some problems- even though it is like new- it just hasn't been used for almost 7 years and you should give it a good once over of maintenance before doing an 800 mile day.

BTW: I am also an Iron butt FJR and KLR rider :specool:

You can waste a lot of good riding time over 500 bucks if you walk away and look for another one. Trust me, you won't care one bit about it by the end of your first day with the bike.

This is good great advice. Buy the bike and enjoy the shit outta it.

Don't go listening to Howie of the Manatee Radio Network. He's just a grumpy old, cam chain tensioner tweaking, subsequent engine rebuilding, Cerulian blue ('04) owning, curmudgeon from a really flat and boring state.

Oh, and don't worry about the whole ticking thing. Seriously over-rated. Even the worst cases will never leave you stranded on the side o the road like a twiddled CCT.

I will definitely be looking the bike over once I ride it home. I don't take my bikes to mechanics because they never seem to do the work right. Took my bike in once for tires and they didnt tighten the rear axle down. Last time I took a bike in. I'm pretty handy, had my klr apart several times, along with a ton of other bikes.

Thanks for the advice though. I had planned to do an oil change, check the tires, final drive oil, brake fluid, and a general overall inspection. Do I dare ask what the favorite oil of FJR owners is? haha...I'll probably go with Rotella, but not sure yet.