Cal Sci 06 Shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tag2501

Reaction score
Got the new Cal Sci medium shield this weekend. Went on the bike without any difficulty. Put about 60 miles on yesterday in windy and very hot conditions. There is somewhat less airflow than stock - so the ride was a bit warmer. At the low setting, the airfow turbulence and noise is significantly reduced versus stock. I'm 5'10" and can easily see over the top in the lowest position. I can still see over it until it's past halfway raised. In the raised position there is little turbulence and a pretty sizable still air pocket. There is still a small amount of buffeting in the full upright position, and just a slight hint of back pressure - nothing to really complain about.

The medium size seemed to be a good compromise over the taller version (and the Vstream) to keep some airflow going in the summer 100 degree temperatures here in TX. After the one ride, that seems to be the case.

Your observations are very close to mine, although I went back to the stocker for the summer... I couldn't stand the decrease in airflow down here in Houston for June through September...

Groo,

I'm on the watch to do the same. As much as I like the new shield, it was a warmer ride. For puttering around the back roads in horse country here, the stock shield would be fine in the summer. On the other hand, stretching the ride out to 150 miles plus makes the Cal Sci a positive addition. A bit of a quandry. I guess I'll ride a few more times with the new shield and see how the heat is, then make a call on swapping back to the stock windshield for the summer. Ride safe.