In Search Of: The Perfect Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I'd be so...shallow... as to be concerned with looks,

But,

While I'm saving up, I'll go search out images.

(Insert smiley here, since they don't work on iPads)

Not that I'd be so...shallow... as to be concerned with looks, But, While I'm saving up, I'll go search out images. (Insert smiley here, since they don't work on iPads)
There's a couple of pics of a Rifle on my bike, and on a few others earlier in this thread
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
While we're on topic--my bike's sitting now waiting for winter to end w/no screen. I sold the Yamaha touring to put money towards a rifle. Sizes Rifle lists are: +3" tall, +4" wide; or +5" tall, + 4" wide.
Which size are you guys using? I'm about 6' 1". I don't want the giant one if I don't need it.
Spud, I realize this is very late, but I thought I would tell you my Rifle story. I bought a +3, +3 with a bronze tint for my '07. I loved it and could not believe how quiet everything became. Later riding in hot weather I found that the extra height caused a lack of air flow in the down position and at 5'10" I was looking through the windshield all the way up. My solution was to cut 3" off the top allowing me to see over the shield and increase airflow in the down position. Just my two cents.

I am currently waiting to see if I will be able to purchase a Rifle shield for my new 2013.

Jer: Well I did get the Rifle. It really is different from other screens. It's fairly ugly on the bike (IMO), but function over form. The air is so much more calm. Running it high it really eats into gas mileage. I run it about half up and look over the top, get a nice flow of smooth air over with no turbulence. When it gets hot in the summer I'll likely swap back to the stock screen, which I actually like in hot weather.

Here's the screen showing how much those angle optimizers change things...

DSCF1150_zpsaa89044d.jpg

Jer: Well I did get the Rifle. It really is different from other screens. It's fairly ugly on the bike (IMO), but function over form. The air is so much more calm. Running it high it really eats into gas mileage. I run it about half up and look over the top, get a nice flow of smooth air over with no turbulence. When it gets hot in the summer I'll likely swap back to the stock screen, which I actually like in hot weather.
Here's the screen showing how much those angle optimizers change things...

DSCF1150_zpsaa89044d.jpg
Spud, the point I was trying to make was that if you want to see over the screen, don't get one that is too high. I ran my screen for a whole summer and just ran it up to where I was looking over it. A good share of my riding is in Idaho, eastern Oregon, eastern Washington, Colorado etc. where temperatures are pretty high in the summer. With the extra height I couldn't get a cooling airflow with the screen down.

I can see that since you ride in cold weather the high position would be more protective and the stock screen in hot weather would be fine. The stock screen on my 2013 is adequate unless you go over 65mph. Above that is very noisy and turbulent in traffic. It is actually noisy below 65, but I could live with it. I want a Rifle.

Ok. I've been watching this for a while.

I have several screens I've been playing arou d with: stock, touri g, calsci, v-stream, and a very cut down stocker.

Like the calsci the beat for winter and the cut down for summer

It occurs to me that there are tons of barn door size screens out there but everyone says rifle is it.

For me, and maybe I'm ignorant (look it up), I have never suffered enough behind any of mine to want the look of the rifle.

What seems like the magic must be the way the rifle is angles different, no? If I took my big ass +this+that whatever screen and put tuning blocks under the screen, theoretically, wouldn't it do the same thing to the airflow as a rifle?

(Flow, not displacement, I'm aware of the difference)

Im actually going to make some tuning blocks for my stock screen and try them out. I know vanity is stupid... but I only ride with my stock screen in the up position at night due to looks.... LOL

As much as I want quiet air... not sure I'm ready for a barn door yet.

I think the changed angle is the key--the Rifle screen itself has no magic-looking shape to it. It also lets a lot more air underneath, as there's a gap. The difference is enough that I've never ridden without earplugs before and now I do on occasion as the noise is so much less. I think some home-made tuning blocks would give good results with other screens.

Im actually going to make some tuning blocks for my stock screen and try them out. I know vanity is stupid... but I only ride with my stock screen in the up position at night due to looks.... LOL As much as I want quiet air... not sure I'm ready for a barn door yet.
On your 07 you can very easily tilt the windshield back by using some spacers. I have spacers (a stack of washers actually) installed under the windshield attach arm and it does make a difference in the turbulence from the stock shield. Try searching the forum for Skyway spacers to see how to install them.

Broke down and bought a Rifle windshield for the FJR. Took the FJR for a 240 mile loop test ride north of me yesterday. Yep, it sure isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the stock shield, but function over form for me these days. Much better than stock. Wish I would have went with the +3 though, rather than +5.

I keep telling you guys the MRA is the snizzle. No cutting just loosen two screws and it raises or lowers the top portion. It does have the flow make now mistake about it. It also can be raised by the screws to cover you in a rain storm, when it stops drop it back down. My Rifle is just my winter screen.

I keep telling you guys the MRA is the snizzle. No cutting just loosen two screws and it raises or lowers the top portion. It does have the flow make now mistake about it. It also can be raised by the screws to cover you in a rain storm, when it stops drop it back down.
Questions about the MRA: A search didn't help find actual installed pix. All I could find was the stock one at Twisted Throttle. How do the dimensions compare to OE? How does it do for kicking the wind off/reducing buffeting for a passenger? Thanks!

I have the MRA and agree it is great. I think it is close in size to stock.

The screen cleaned up the air around my head and the wife on the back doesn';t complain anymore about getting buffeted.

I am using it on an 05 and I am 5'9 on a good day.

Here is a pic to look at. It really is not a whole lot bigger then OEM. It is in the mid or 1/2 way postion in this pic.

screen%20front.jpg

I installed a CalSci medium windscreen on my '09 AE and rode from Seattle to Whistler BC last weekend (and will ride back this weekend). The CalSci is a significant improvement over the factory screen; at freeway speeds I can put it up high enough to eliminate wind/turbulence on my helmet yet still see over the screen. The decrease in noise is also significant, and I no longer need earplugs.

I went through light to moderate rain on the way up, and my helmet's shield was dry with the screen up. When I got the occasional droplet buildup on my face shield, I just lowered the windscreen enough to get some air on it, blowing the drops off.

At lower speeds, with the windscreen all the way down, it still is almost as high as the factory windscreen is when it is up. As a result, it can be warm at lowr speeds... no draft to cool you off. Even so, I don't see myself re-installing the factory windscreen.

This windscreen, and my Rick Mayer seat, are the two best farkles I've added in terms of changing the character of my FJR from an unruly beast to a comfortable long distance cruise missile... along with the Go Cruise throttle lock.

At lower speeds, with the windscreen all the way down, it still is almost as high as the factory windscreen is when it is up. As a result, it can be warm at lowr speeds... no draft to cool you off. Even so, I don't see myself re-installing the factory windscreen.
Let me know if you still think that way after this coming tuesday when we are projected to hit the low 90's.
shok.gif

On those days I think about reinstalling my factory shield that I've cut about 4 inches off the top, but because those kind of temps are so rare around here I usually just suffer a little with my larger than factory shield.

We have been in the upper 90s for over a week here. My +4 +2 CB is ok, I honestly don't think more air flow would help when it's this hot. I actually tried putting the screen up on the way home yesterday to block the hot air from hitting me- it feels like I'm standing in front of a blow-drier. I've tried ice packs in the jacket pockets with minimal effect, thinking about a phase change cooling vest.