Cal-Sci cut outs on stock windshield?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a long post about this recently. I did it and it worked great.
I must have missed that one. I remember a guy had a post about doing a cee baily but not a stocker. Glad you're happy with yours, my main concern is noise. You know that low frequency booming that comes from underneath. I can't see paying somebody almost $180 when the solution is in my Dremel box.

There is a very long discussion that has been going on one of the other fjrforum sites also where people have been cutting out the holes with some success.

I used my dremel tool. Do it. It works with no bad side effects that I can tell. Reduced the turbulence a little and totally eliminated the backpressure when the shield is full up.

Here's a picture of mine...

cutouts.jpg

I'm the guy who did the long post on cutting the CB. Looks like it has purged out.

Couldn't be happier with the results. Here's some pics I have saved.

:D

Shield-finished.jpg

Shield-taped.jpg

Well, I grew some balls and did it.

normal_136_3625.jpg

I taped out a pattern to somewhat match the W bracket on the FJR. Notice that I used 1/2 inch masking tape to create an even border with the bracket but not getting too close to the bracket. The top line in blue tape went straight across along the top screw holes for the bracket.

normal_136_3630.jpg

I attempted to cut out the straight lines with my Dremel, but had issues with the plastic shield melting. Hmmm... out with the jigsaw.

More to come

normal_136_3631.jpg

The use of a this saw with a fine metal blade worked great. Just be sure to tape out enough to prevent the base of the saw from scratching the shield up. I drilled 1/4 inch pilot holes to get started.

normal_136_3634.jpg

and voila!

normal_136_3635.jpg

I pulled out the dremel with fine sanding drum to smooth out the corners and edges, finishing some rough spots with 220 grit sandpaper on a small block.

normal_136_3637.jpg

And with the exception of a couple of small scuff marks (completely preventable with better protection), I'm quite happy about how this turned out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worldbound.....you going to be offering this service @ WFO?....who knows maybe a new career path for you....(since you said..."well I grew some balls") :D

A new career path? I don't think so.

I'd make the same cutouts for other people for free, as long as they paid shipping to and from my home and did not hold me responsible if the shield is damaged. A note on that, I usually take more care in work on other's machines than on my own.

To add follow-up, I took the bike out for a short 90 mile ride for a quick impression yesterday afternoon.

First off, the 90 degree weather was nothing like what I have to face this summer, but it was much more pleasant than pre-modification. In fact, I think this mod fixed my helmet. My Shoei X-Eleven ventilates much better now.

0-45mph in town traffic.... a noticable difference in the airflow that hits me in the chest with the shield all the way down. The feeling was of a more disbursed air pattern that is spread out more evenly from low chest to above my helmet. It allowed for better cooling when moving.

45-75mph (shield in lowest position) in town beltway..... My aerostitch is fixed! Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems as though there is more air catching the armpit vents and blowing out the back of the suit. Also, wind buffeting is eliminated (not airflow). The air is much more smooth and easier on my head. It again feels more disbursed across my torso. FWIW I'm 5'11'' with a 33" inseam, stock handlebars and stock seat.

70-90mph out of town hwy (shield in various upward positions).... I find that the position of comfort is about 40-50% full up. Backpressure is almost eliminated when full up (not totally). It is so much more tolerable than it was before. I had no idea how bad the backpressure was until I rode the bike yesterday afternoon.

I have to say that this may soon be my second favorite farkle. My favorite being the addition of a power source to power my tank bag goodies (iPod, Autocomm, Cell Phone, GMRS/FRS radio, etc...).

I hope to get out for a nice long ride to test this out more thoroughly soon. Looks like work schedule between myself and my wife won't allow this until the end of June. Maybe a pre-WFO run out to Reno is on order to "check out road conditions" before I meet with other FJR riders to make a group trip from Las Vegas to WFO (clicky here).

Just FYI...

I left the sharp edges on my cutouts. It teaches the needlessy curious to keep their hands off my bike!

Worldbound.....you going to be offering this service @ WFO?....who knows maybe a new career path for you....(since you said..."well I grew some balls") :D
Have you ridden in the rain with this mod to your shield? If so, any significant amount of water comming through the holes and on to you?

3dogs, look at my location. Rain? Even when it does rain it is so hot afterwards that everything is bone dry within a few minutes. Sorry, but I have limited feedback on this at the current time. I'm not too concerned about rain since I have decent rain gear and a waterproof cover for my tank bag that contains all my electrical toys. Any others with these cutouts have feedback?