Cal-Sci cut outs on stock windshield?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3dogs, look at my location. Rain? Even when it does rain it is so hot afterwards that everything is bone dry within a few minutes. Sorry, but I have limited feedback on this at the current time. I'm not too concerned about rain since I have decent rain gear and a waterproof cover for my tank bag that contains all my electrical toys. Any others with these cutouts have feedback?
I've got a Cal-Sci windscreen (with stock cut outs) and hit some fairly robust showers recently, but didn't notice any "abnormal" amount of water leaking through. After slowing below about 30, everything is going to get wet, but the cut outs in my opinion, didn't leak enough to be an annoyance.

I agree with CAJW - I rode mine in very heavy rain going through mountains and freeways on a recent trip up to Deals Gap - no significant increase in wetness because of the holes - yes, water was whipping through the holes but normal turbulence and buffeting blows the water around and it was no worse than stock shield. B)

Has anybody tried cutting Cal-Sci type holes on a stock windshield?
I'd be interested in hearing your results. Thanks!
I just did this to my stock windscreen with ok results. The increase in airflow over my Cal-Sci is noticable, so much so that this will be my warm/hot weather windscreen for the time being. The only beef is that although back pressure is eliminated, it still cannot provide the quiet air that my Cal-Sci does. The stock screen windblast at full up position is still hitting me at chin level so in order to get in quiet air, I need to hunker down behind it (read sportbike like crouch). I'll use my Cal-Sci for long distance when I want to hear my tunes clearly, but the stock one looks better and provides the needed airflow for my Stich' to help keep me cool.

CAJW

6'1" w/ 36" inseam

OK, so the general consensus is that this mod helps and is worth performing the surgery then. Correct?
For my height & riding position I say yes. As far as I'm concerned, the unmodified stock windscreen is worthless. However I have a Cal-Sci for cooler weather or when I want a "really" quiet ride, which just cannot be acheived with even the modified stock windscreen, but it's MUCH better than without the cutouts. Again, as many say YMMV.