California Commuter Chronicles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
Coming home on the freeway today, Saturday, from a quick jaunt up to California Sport Touring to pick up a new pair of winter gloves and a dual controller for my heated gear, I was reminded about one of my driving rules. I was reminded about it because I failed to use it.

The occasion for the reminder was an interaction with a large fuel tanker that began to signal left into my lane just as I was in its left rear quarter and about to pass it on its left (i.e., in the "fast lane" of our two freeway lanes).

The rule is, "Question what you think you know." Nothing happened, BTW, thankfully. But it was a wake-up call because I coulda gotten crushed, and if I'd followed the rule, that possibility never would have arisen.

A simple example of the rule is to anticipate that the car signalling left in front of you may not actually be going to the stop sign up ahead, but planning to turn left into a seldom-used parking lot entrance before the stop sign. So if it suddenly slows to make that turn, you won't crash into the back of it.

I learned the rule the hard way when a package delivery truck suddenly turned into me one night in San Francisco on my commute home and knocked my rear tire a couple feet to the side. I was on my Sportster at the time and managed not to go down. But I did utter "F**k" pretty loud.

The truck was in the center of three lanes, and I was a little behind it in the curb lane to its right. When it started to signal right into my lane, I figured (1) it knew I was there and (2) like me it was headed up to the signal light ahead another 100 yards to turn right and head down onto the freeway. So in spite of the signal, I started to pass it. But just as I did so it suddenly turned 90 degrees into my lane, into me, and kicked out my rear tire. I had gunned it to squeeze through the door before it closed, but still got clipped. Turns out in fact it was turning into a driveway mid-block (yes, from the center lane).

So today I'm heading down the freeway in the left of the two lanes. Ahead of me is the tanker truck with about four cars slowly passing it in the left lane. I kinda let all the cars get ahead till I engage with the truck, so I don't get in a tangle.

I notice a white car cut in front of the truck a little tight and think what a retard the person is, cutting in front of a truck, no signal. Then I notice the white car jump left again into the right lane. Hmmm.... Curious.

That's about when I start to move in closer to the truck to make my pass, and then he starts to signal. Here's what a smarter person would have wondered:

1. Why did that white car come back to the left so quickly?

2. Why is this truck wanting to come over when there's nothing ahead for it to pass?

So like the idiot who passed that package truck in San Francisco one evening many years ago, I figured this truck knows I'm there, and he'll wait to come over till I get by.

So I shot on by, hugging the left of the lane as usual, and being aware of my "out" in the far-left breakdown lane. And the truck did not come across my line. But as I passed it I saw what was going on:

There were three cars pulled to the far right side of the freeway; the middle one was a CHP cruiser. The truck was coming over to clear all those cars.

So I totally blew that scenario. I should have stayed back from the truck and not dived in for the pass when it started signalling. (In my defense, I believe I was already at just about its rear tires when it started signalling, so maybe hitting the brakes wasn't an option, and I did have an out to the left. But there was that white car.)

Remember, JB: Question what you think you know. I presumed the truck was making an elective lane change and could decide when it would get over. If one of those cars had jumped out, I would have been toast. If the truck's suddenly getting over for no reason, figure he's coming over now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to stay on your toes when commuting JB! They're out to get you. Even in Hootin' without lane splitting, I'm always on the top of my game or I don't ride.

I see by your by-line you've taken a lot of courses, you might consider a Stayin' Safe course. This type of situation is exactly what they consider in their "on the road" training.

Riding those Bay Area freeways just scares the bejesus outta me. It's bad enough in a cage, but the level of insanity out there durung rush hour keeps me on the other side of the Altamont. You're a better man than me... ;)

Lately, at the cost of an extra 15 minutes, I've been taking the neighborhood back roads to work and home in order to avoid heavy traffic. It's much more tranquil (and safe), with the roads virtually all to myself.

Thanks for the Chronicles James. :clapping: Good reminders to me.

Lately, at the cost of an extra 15 minutes, I've been taking the neighborhood back roads to work and home in order to avoid heavy traffic. It's much more tranquil (and safe), with the roads virtually all to myself.
I think your commute just got better... but still watch out for those cagers...they still don't see you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the Chronicles James. :clapping: Good reminders to me.

I think your commute just got better... but still watch out for those cagers...they still don't see you.
+1, Gunny; Thanks Hans, by the way do you have a good recipe for a San Francisco Crab Omelette!

Kind of like Wheaton said, they don't see you. From my own info, rule 101 for riding period, "they can't see me, I'm invisable, and they're trying to kill me." Sounds crazy but it works. When we try and second guess what the other rider, driver, is doing or going to do is when we get in over our heads. I've had drivers look straight at me and thought we had eye contact while riding but no, they still didn't see me.

You still got all my respect JB for doin the commuter thing, especially into S.F. Be safe my friend, PM. <>< ;)

I have a fairly easy 75 mile round trip to work. Slab or back country. HP's are in the country in the morning so freeway is the way to go then. 1/2 the trip is light traffic then the fun begins........

Many cagers are sleepy, or worse, pissed off/unhappy at the wheel and some try to perform magic tricks with things in their cars. We have had 4 deaths in the last 3 weeks within 10 miles of my home on the freeway - all in cars. 1 was a sucicide trying to take out another car head-on after he learned his son was killed in the same area. He succeed but seriously injured 2 others. Frigin so sad.

I stay in front or just behind the pack and then motor thru when I need to. Stay far away if possible and always watch their hands while passing.

Afternoon: choice of slab or quick country or long ass country ride to home.

I am very fortunate to have this commute, I know others have it much harder than I.

As I grow older I will be driving my 928 to work more often which is almost as fun as the FJR - almost.

Stay Aware - Stay Alive is what I think about all the way to work.