Calling all midlife riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, this is how you know you're a midlifer. If you know what these are . . .

2277784053_efee1984b5.jpg

Haha! My exact recipe at one point. I've now ditched the Lisinopril and am on only Hctz w/ Simvastatin.

Hey, just so's you know. You can get the lisinopril and hctz in a single pill. Cuts down on the cost out of pocket.

Started riding once I moved out of Mom's house. (Mom, I want to buy a bike. You'll put yer eye out kid!). Rode for about 10 years then got married to everyone else's ex wife :eek:

After 7 years of that I woke to find myself divorced and broke. Worked hard for years to pay off all the bills and save enough for the bike. Somehow it's sweeter when you have to work hard and wait for it. Rode the FJR until I got laid off. The choice was between paying my child support and rent or bike expenses. Guess which won?

Got a new job and had the money to get back to riding, then had to tend to ill parents. Have not been on the bike for 2 years now. My sted dad passed away a few months ago and Mom is now doing well on her own. The GF just threatned me to "get that bike back on the road and take me riding" :D Insurance quote is in hand, money ready to be spent on inpection, tune up ect. Should not be long now and I can't wait!

[Disclaimer: I asked camera56 if he was ok with me posting the following long winded, egocentric reply that I wrote late last night during an over-tired stupor.]

[SIZE=12pt]When did it all really start? Technically? It started at age 5 with the Big Wheel. Come on… let's face it racing down the street and then grabbing a handful of that side brake and gently steering into a long power slide… ahh the speed… the power … the exhilaration.[/SIZE]

Then it was on to the Ross Apollo 5 speed complete with banana seat. By age 8 or so, all the boys in the neighborhood would constantly travel in packs on our bikes, building ramps and rarely stopping without a 20 ft skid. Ahh… the speed… the power… the exhilaration.

By age 11, I got a "10 speed", less power but I discovered something new… Freedom. As most of you recall, growing up in the 60's 70's and maybe even early 80's, kids were typically allowed to be unsupervised for hours and hours a clip. You knew what time to be home and you knew your "boundaries". ..but… Long Island was flat and to me it was exciting to go beyond those boundaries… further and further. I was a good kid, but I was mischievous. First it was going into "town" (Rockville Centre, NY) when I wasn't supposed to and soon after it was the next town over, then Jones Beach and before long it was anywhere I could get to in a few hours including… yes…Manhattan.

"Where were you Michael?, your sisters said they haven't seen you all afternoon."

"Awe y'know mom, just playing in the neighborhood" OK, so I really biked 30 miles each way across some of the busiest streets in the country, over bridges, and into a city with 8 million people, had pizza in Greenwich Village, stole a button on Canal Street, saw two boys kiss (WTF!) and only got home a little after dark. Ahh, the freedom… the adrenaline… the exhilaration.

In September, 1983 when I was 14, Jaime Martino let me ride is Honda moped. I will never forget my first ride… the adrenaline rush, the wind in my hair (that I used to have)….ahh the speed… the power...the exhileration… the freedom!

My favorite was to drive it down a narrow walking path through the woods in a local park because with a max speed of 30mph, the scoot somehow felt much faster! I was hooked, big time. There was no way on the planet, that this Long Island Jew would have EVER been allowed to actually have a moped or a motorcycle so my early years of riding were all on the "down-low", top secret, covert operations that only added further excitement. I was hooked, hooked big-time.

Within two months, I had somehow talked the Bogart brothers who lived behind me and were probably in their early 20's to teach me how to ride their Honda Hawk. I remember the first ride like it was yesterday including popping the clutch and the front wheel coming up and my sheer terror. I was probably more scared of getting caught, than hurt but within another month I had worked out a deal where I could use the Honda hawk regularly. By the 11th grade I bought my first bike. My car was a '69 Dodge Dart that I bought for $400 but my top secret bike that was kept at a friends and used rarely was a used Honda Interceptor. Freshman year of college, I was a passenger in a bad car accident and spent the majority of the next three years helping to nurse my HS sweetheart back to health from a severe head injury. I sold everything that I didn't absolutely need.

When the dust settled from that drama, I began to hear, no feel the calling and since money was tight and I was paying my way through college, I basically bought a bike in the dead of winter every year for a song and sold them in late spring for a profit fulfilling my need to ride as well as supplementing my limited income. One of these bikes included an FJ which I enjoyed tremendously.

After college I took a job in sales, paid off my one and only student loan within 3 months of graduation and a few months later I found myself in a Kawasaki dealership on a beautiful autumn morning. (By the way, remember my first year of riding the moped and the hawk? It was in the Fall and I was programmed for life… I love riding motorcycles in the Fall!) After buying used motorcycles all through college and after telling this very sales guy on several occasions that I would never buy new… the following conversation transpired:

"What time could you have this bike ready ?" (pointing to a new '94 ZX-11)

"We couldn't have it until tomorrow because we would have to… blah blah blah"

I interrupt

"Here is $1K I will be back in two hours with $8K more. Will it be ready?"

"yes"

Ah the speed, the power, the freedom, the exhileration.

I enjoyed that bike tremendously for a couple of years but truth be told between the Zx-11 and all of the other bikes combined I never really rode that many miles all totaled, never really learned much about the sport and although I fed my passion for riding, I was in many ways a young, naïve, bonehead new Yorker caught up in making money and chasing tail. Due to my irresponsibility with following up with tickets, my license ended up suspended and what little riding I was doing was hamstringed by my conditional license and fear of losing all driving priveleges. Perhaps it was my time to be a flaky jerk after the very tough period following the aforementioned car accident.

But after three years of working in a cheesy sales job, I walked away from my now six figure plus income, got my license squared away, and planned a new respectable career in… get this… CALIFORNIA. Yes, California where I was born but never lived (another story). Yes California where I can ride all year long. Yes, I've got my license back and I'm heading to Cali! Finally I will REALLY get to ride my beloved Z!

The movers dropped the bike off the truck! The damage was extensive and our resolution involved a check and no motorcycle. Perhaps, I took the whole ya'know "growing up" thing or maturing or whatever a little too seriously because somehow, some way 10 years went by with no bike. Now yes, I did build a successful career, with a big "respectable" (whatever that means)company, and oh yeah, got married had um… a baby, oh and another one, learned a lot, and so on and so forth… but NO BIKE!

Now don't get me wrong, I had plenty of fun along the way… wakeboarding, waterskiing, snow skiing, golfing, hiking traveling etc. I even started off road motorcycling which I also love and although it scratched the itch, it didn't fill the void.

In 2005 I spent considerable time focusing on myself and issues such as what I wanted out of life. Among other things, I decided to get a small tattoo with the Kanji symbol for the word "Decision" which in that language has a secondary meaning of determination. The image which most of you from the FJR Forum will recognize as my avatar symbolizes many things and the story behind the word is long but I have summarized much of what it means with the following.

D E C I S I O N
for
Myself
Noelle
Jessica and Sara
Family
Friends
to attain
Health
Happiness
Prosperity
Independence
through
Determination
Smart Choices
No Vices
Passion
Patience
Many choices were made during this period geared towards bettering myself and my quality of life. Two notable ones include, choosing to leave corporate America to start my own company (the name of which coincidentally includes the word Decision ) and yes, you guessed it… to get back in the motorcycle saddle again.

The Mrs. (Noelle) said that it wasn't a good time because of… blah blah blah. I agreed and also pointed out that it wasn't going to be a good time for about another 18 years (did I mention that we had a newborn?). In short order I had a deposit down on a used 2004 FJR in Monterey. The arrangements were all in order and the bike was to be picked up on a Wednesday. After a decade long hiatus, I was excited to say the least.

The Sunday before the exciting day, Noelle and I find ourselves in stopped traffic miles behind what appeared to be a bad accident as evidenced by the several ambulances that passed as we waited. Wouldn't you know it, not only was it a motorcycle accident, but it was a pretty brutal one and we had to pass at it at about 1 mph with the carnage just outside my wife's window.

She was upset. She felt it was a sign… a sign that I wasn't supposed to get a bike. As the tears dripped from her eyes (did I mention we had a newborn?... ever here of hormones?), I phoned the seller of the FJR and informed him that I would have to walk away from my $500 deposit. I suggested to my wife that if in fact it was a sign, than perhaps it was a sign not to get THAT bike.

Was the decision to get back on the bike a mid-life crisis? As a father, husband provider etc., was I feeling pressure? With responsibility comes some loss of freedom. Of course it's all a series of conscious choices and compromises but eventually we can become the child. The child that yearns for freedom and excitement… or maybe… maybe I just love to ride motorcycles.

Six months later I bought a new 2006 FJR AE.

ahh the speed… the power … the freedom…the exhilaration!

Last edited by a moderator:
While living in St. Croix in the late sixties my dad got the bug for a bike and bought a 90cc honda of some sort. He out grew it and got a Kawasaki 175cc bushwacker I believe. Well my brother and I badgered him endlessly to get us a minibike. We were 11 and 9 respectively, and mom wasn't keen on the idea but we won out eventually. They bought us a Rupp 5hp minibike. All the other kids had a 2.5 hp minibike at the time.

When we moved to NJ we got rid of everything because mom was scared of us getting hurt . I was about to get a drivers liscense and she new I'd want to ride on the street. I gave up riding for good

I got married in 77 and Marla always told me she didn't want me to get a motorcycle. She was a candy striper in the hospital as a teenager.

Never entered my mind about owning a motorcycle, as I respected her wishes.

Fast forward to 99 and I come home from work and there is a New V-Star650 in the driveway. ep its yours honey. My friend across the street who owned a Yamaha dealership talked her into getting it for me.

Within 2 years I had an 03 FJR which I totaled in Oct 04. Well the wife then says you know I don't want to raise these 4 kids by myself so you're done with the bikes.

Once again I'm without 2 wheels and really depressed, but I abide by her wishes.

Fast forward May 07 and I come home and my best friend derives up the driveway on an 07 FJR. I'm admireing it and all the family comes out while I'm drooling all over the bike. Finally Marla pops off its yours. She did it again.

I'm a lucky guy.

Technically, I didn't enter at mid-life, I entered at OLD. If you've seen my 1st post in the newbie section, you'll see that I rode a bike for the very first time at age 64 (last year). I've wanted to ride since I was 16 and saw the coolest dude ever ride past the high school on a Triumph Bonneville with the lead cheerleader on the back. Went to college, got married, had kids, got divorced, got married again to someone with more kids-you get the idea. These all cost lots of $$. Now, kids all grown, a little $ set aside, getting (no-am) old. If I don't do it now, I'll never be able to. Got my first ever bike (used) in May of 2007 and have ridden over 8,000 miles since. Retire in 18 months and I'm working like crazy to stay in good enough mental and physical to be able to ride for another 10 years. I want to cruise the country while I still can and I'm going to do it on an FJR 1300. YAHOOOO!!!!

Technically, I didn't enter at mid-life, I entered at OLD. If you've seen my 1st post in the newbie section, you'll see that I rode a bike for the very first time at age 64 (last year). I've wanted to ride since I was 16 and saw the coolest dude ever ride past the high school on a Triumph Bonneville with the lead cheerleader on the back. Went to college, got married, had kids, got divorced, got married again to someone with more kids-you get the idea. These all cost lots of $$. Now, kids all grown, a little $ set aside, getting (no-am) old. If I don't do it now, I'll never be able to. Got my first ever bike (used) in May of 2007 and have ridden over 8,000 miles since. Retire in 18 months and I'm working like crazy to stay in good enough mental and physical to be able to ride for another 10 years. I want to cruise the country while I still can and I'm going to do it on an FJR 1300. YAHOOOO!!!!

This is just so inspirational. <sniff>

Go get 'em tiger! Enjoy your life. You more than deserve it.

Seriously, great post. If I'm still kickin around when I get to your age, it will be riding down the road on an FJR or something damn similar.

I came to motorcycling in 2003 at the ripe old age of 39… but after decades of repressed interest. As a kid growing up, I was fascinated with bikes… I remember looking through a set of cards (like baseball cards) I had been given with different bikes, and their horsepower and physical characteristics on them… and fantasizing about which one I would own some day. I’d check out books from the library to read up on motorcycle maintenance, operation, and repair, and this funny countersteering thing… but it was not meant to be.

Like TWN, I lived in a “you’ll shoot your eye out” household… Oh, the Humanity!!!! My parents were convinced I’d end my life early were I given access to only 2 wheels, unless I powered them by pushing on pedals. As I was growing up, I had a few instances when friends would let me ride their mini-bikes, or maybe a moped, and the thrill was nearly unbearable. When we lived in a wooded area of Connecticut, I went so far as to scrape/clear an incredibly intricate minibike path for the bike I was sure to get some Christmas right after hell froze over. Anyone remember the bikes they used to sell in the Sears and Montgomery Ward catalogs? Damn I wanted one of those pieces of crap….

In an attempt to sooth the savage beast, I convinced my parents to let me buy/build a kit go-cart with a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine in my early teens. That worked for a while, but it just wasn’t the same. I’d also use vacation opportunities to rent mopeds to get a fix now and then.

Time passed, and I never really saw the opportunity to own a bike through Highschool, and then at college. I did get a few chances to ride friend’s bikes, once when a friend got too drunk to ride back to the dorms, and one other time. I figured I’d bide my time, and make my move once I got a real job…

So I got out of college, got a job, met and married Mrs Right, and promptly discovered her utter terror of all things motorcycle. So, I suppressed the urge again, for another 12 years, although whenever I was asked what I wanted for a birthday, or Christmas, or a Holiday, my instant answer was “A motorcycle.”. Finally, after a great deal of discussion, and some timely bribery with household upgrades, she found she could live with the idea, assuming I always wore all the gear (no problem) and never took our daughters for rides (slowly eroding this one…. Heh).

I promptly set out trying to find a bike, after taking the MSF class and getting my license. I wanted a learner bike, and eventually bought an ’82 Virago 750 off a friend when I saw it in his garage while visiting his house for a party. That was in 2003, and a little over a year later, I had decided that the type of bike I really wanted was more of an ST bike, rather than a cruiser. I wanted to take longer trips, and enjoy the curves once I got there. Driving in a straight line, making lots of noise, and buying bling wasn’t my thing.

A friend had (still has for that matter) a BMW 1150RT which I thought looked awesome, and which I asked a bunch of questions about. He told me to go look at some of the other STs on the market, and then I stumbled across a Yammy picture of the blue 2005. It was love at first sight (blue having been my favorite color since childhood), and a few days later I had money down on a PDPd bike.

Since owning the FJR, I’ve found that I was right all along. Motorcycling truly is an activity that makes my life more enjoyable, and if I had to wait to experience it, so be it.

Started on my buddies Honda 55 and 90 step through scooters. Then up to dirt bikes

Parents sucked, where are you and your new dirt bike going to be staying?

This was in High School. Kept it at my buddies house.

Dad got my little brother a mini bike that he never got to use. My sister and I drove it all over the hood. Ended up with a bigger motor. Sister crashed it into a tree while drunk, welded the frame.

Beer holder taped to the handlebars.

In the Air Force I wanted a XS1100, they wouldn't cosign for the loan.

Grandma said she would buy me a new car if I would stay off the bikes.

Bought a used CB500 Honda, paid cash. Put on a pipe, jet kit, and electronic ignition. Drove it all over Florida. Almost got killed three times in a week in Miami, traded it for a stereo system.

Saw a 86 GSXR-750 in a Popular Mechanics magazine, I had to have one.

Saw the new CBR900 in the motorcycle magazine, I had to have one.

Wanted some touring and luggage storage capability, bought a 2000 ST1100.

Bought an 06 FJR1300 because I liked it.

Still have all the rest!

I was about 20 and hanging with my friend from the Marine corps. When he decided to sell his bike I bought it and learned the joys of motorcycling. It was a Honda 400 hawk. I then sold it and was unable for a variety of reasons to get another motorcycle. So life ran its course and motorcycles were forgotten. After landing my current job I realized how "safe" I was in living my life. How I can come to work and not ever go home. I didn't push past anything that made me uncomfortable. I was leaning towards an SUV to take the family around the country but since they are the "cars are to slow, we want to fly type", I said lets see what I want then. I decided to get back into the sport. The first month I thought I would never be able to handle the bike and was seriously thinking of selling it. Then everything came together and I have never looked back. I haven't been this happy in years and even my artwork has improved. Thats when I'm not riding or working! Feel free to pm me if you want.

Looks like you have enough replies for a book, but for what it's worth, here's my story. I'd be happy to converse privately as well if you wish.

When I was growing up in Alberta, you could get a motorcyle license at age 14 (I think for anything up to 250cc). A couple of my friends were a year older than me and I would ride pillion. One had a Honda 90 Dream and the other somehow managed to score a Honda 250 Dream. When I was 13 may parents let me go with my 14 year old friend for a one week road trip to Banff on the 250. It seemed like no big deal at the time (just lots of fun!), but looking back as a parent I can appreciate what an amazing act of faith and trust that was for my folks.

They wouldn't pay for my bike, though, so I saved my paper route money and got a used Honda 90 Dream - I think it would have been a 1964 model - for $375. I skipped school on my 14th birthday to take the licensing test.

After riding for a year, I dropped the bike doing something stupid, got lots of road rash (at that time protective gear was jeans and T shirt!) and bent the forks on the bike - and didn't have the $90 to replace them. So ended my early experience with motorcycles.

But the memory of the exhilaration of riding faded only slightly. Every spring I would yearn for a bike and the thrill of the ride.

Almost 30 years later my friend Steve, who had been riding various bikes all his life, took me dirt biking on a borrowed bike, and the memory was rekindled - but I still wasn't in a position to buy one of my own.

In 1999 I did an exchange to Australia for 6 months, and while I was there, Steve got an ST1100 and discovered sport touring. When I returned from Australia we would have many discussions about motorcycling in general and sport touring in particular. I kept dragging my heels about seriously looking at a purchase until Steve called me and said, "i found your bike in the Auto-Trader. When do you want to go look at it?" It was a 1995 Concours in immaculate condition at a good price, and of course I couldn't say no.

I did the beginning motorcycle course and learned that I never really knew anything about how to ride, despite having a motorcycle license for 35 years. I read lots, listened lots, and rode lots - and as the saying goes, the more you know the better it gets. I'm totally hooked on sport touring, and usually manage to get in over 10,000km in our short Canadian riding season. My wife has been very supportive and enjoys riding pillion (although only up to 500km a day). We've enjoyed trips across BC and Washington, and to Colorado / Arizona / Utah.

The Connie has been a wonderful re-introduction to the world of riding, and I still love that bike, but I've been drooling over the FJR for about 3 years, and finally bought a new 2007 model in January. Now I can't wait for the foot of snow in our back yard to melt so I can start to ride it.

Hal Irvine

Sundre, Alberta

OK I will tell

In 2005, July 4th, I am lying in an ER hooked up to everything to keep me from dying from heart failure. It turned out not to be that dramatic in the end but it scared the crap outta me.

Motocycle scared me because I crash everything due to my inherint lack of common sense and self control. Last bike I was on was my brothers bout 20 years ago for a spin up and down the street.. I crashed it into a house and got pretty rashed up..

I did it becuase I needed some balance in my life. I worked 300 hours a day 43 days a week. Self employed contractror syndrom.

I took the msf, got my endorsement, walked into the honda dealer and drove off on a GL1800. I did all this within 90 days of my ER Experience.

The goldwing is a great bike but I quickly found its limits. My obsessive personality demands I study and obsess about the bike... I read eveything I can on riding and technique.....take classes like candy

The wing was not "Enough" and I was told I would never see an FJR on a dealership floor.... I hate being told "No" so I found one and bought it, new, off the floor.

Now, the rest is history..... 2nd track day in 3 months.. BTW The wing is Sold.... Great bike but not for me.

I will be looking for a track bike this year depending on the level in the bean jar.

I chose a bike because the fun startes the moment I fire it up in the driveway. I dont have to pull it to a boat ramp, tow it to the mountians, or go to another city to start.

Just a "Twist of the Wrist" in my driveway and I am having fun... Endorfin city on two wheels

YMMV

Ok, just to make sure you have enuf stories...

Rode once or twice before I joined the military, which was a long time ago... so I had an idea how to ride.... sorta...

So I'm driving down the street in Daleville, Al, and there on the local used car lot was a beautiful little red bike. $500.

Bought it, took the mandatory MSF course ( mostly bookwork, didn't learn a damned thing), got all legal and everything.

Didn't even need a mc endorsement in Al at that time.

Was a 1974 Yamaha 350 RD... good fast bike, but vibrated a whole lot. Even rode it to Panama City, Fl a couple of times.

Traded up to a Yamaha 500 thumper. Didnt' really like it.

Then to a brand new 1978 650 Special. Sweet! Didn't know anything about clubs, other riders, whatever.... longest ride was from Ft. Gordon, Ga., back to Ft Rucker, Al. Took all side roads, got home and didn't want to stop riding. One of those gorgeous south fall days. Sweet.

Sold the 650 when I was transferred to Hawaii, three months later I had another used 650.

Did the get married, have kids, stop riding, get divorced some 20 years later..... and decided I wanted to ride again.

My youngest son (17) and I both took the MSF course together.

Remembered the 650 was lacking just a bit in power, got an 1100 Silverado.

Met some other gals that started a ladies riding group...no testosterone.... just great relaxing rides and company.

Since then I've gone from the 1100 (couldn't get comfy on it) to a Harley Softail Deuce and a Suziki Bandit, (now sold), got an FJR (loved it, but it's bigger than I like to wrestle with, so it's gone to a nice home in Kentucky), and a Triumph Speedmaster. I'm now living in Texas.

Thinking about selling both the 03 Harley and the 06 Speedy and getting a Triumph Sprint or a 650 BMW.

The FJR totally spoiled me with the sport touring, the Sprint is similar but smaller, the BMW I ca go on dirt roads better.

My Harley and Triumph are both very comfortable, but no fairings, which makes a huge different riding in all day headwinds, cold and rain.

Since 2002 when I started riding again, I've met more people and had way more fun that I had in the 20 some years I was married.

Been to Vegas several time, ridden to Niagara Falls, Ca, the Finger Lakes, Allentown, Pa, San Diego, SLC, Sacramento, Napa, the Grand Canyon, and a bit in Texas. Oh yeah, and the Big Island of Hawaii where we were riding in the tail end of a hurricane! Fabulous!

Got a few more states to ride, tons more people to meet, and lots of places to go... and then there's Central and South America, Canada and Mexico....I need to stop reading ADVrider..... :yahoo:

Mary aka Krashdragon

[email protected]

SSDD -similar story different dude. I got on a friends Honda super 90 when I was 13 (1963). I let the clutch out and was thoroughly overwelmed with all the sensations that went through me. A few seconds later I regained my senses, pulled the clutch in and stopped the bike. I knew I had to have one and there has been several of these marvelous machines since.

Years later I went into business for myself and found there was no time to ride. After 15 years as a contractor The Doctor told me I had very high blood pressure and cholesterol that was off the charts. He then explained that I was a prime candidate for a stroke or Heart attack and that I ought to think about some changes.

I closed up the business and bought a Harley. When I let out that clutch I felt like I was 13 years old again. Today I am 57, have an 2007 FJR and love riding again. I don't take the blood pressure meds any longer and the cholesterol is almost under control.

Want more details? PM me.

I definitely fall into the "Returning Rider" category. I sold my previous bike (pic below) in January, 1988, having purchased it new in May, 1980. The "itch" never left. But, life being what it is, job, extended travel, living abroad, marriage, kids, etc., intervened and wouldn't let me scratch that itch for almost 20 years. I finally said, "F*** it, I'm doing it", and did. My wife says it was the best thing I've done since she's known me as I now seem much less wound up than usual...(?)
As an aside, I really miss this bike... Some seriously good times! (And maybe it was those memories that drew me back onto a bike??)

1980YamahaXS100G.jpg
I am fortunate to have two of these XS 1100G bikes in my stable. One I bought new in 1980 and it is full dresser with a Windjammer fairing and OEM saddlebags. The other is exactly like your picture. One owner before me and with 13000 original miles. Also, the saddle is an original Russell saddle made back in the 80s by the elder Mr. Mayer, the original owner of the now Russell saddles. The bikes are ofter ridden and to me they are the "grandfather" of the FJ/FJR Yamaha model bikes.

My first 2 wheel ride was on a Doodlebug and then a Whizzer and kater a Cushman Eagle. Time does go by quickly when I am riding 2 wheels.

I definitely fall into the "Returning Rider" category. I sold my previous bike (pic below) in January, 1988, having purchased it new in May, 1980. The "itch" never left. But, life being what it is, job, extended travel, living abroad, marriage, kids, etc., intervened and wouldn't let me scratch that itch for almost 20 years. I finally said, "F*** it, I'm doing it", and did. My wife says it was the best thing I've done since she's known me as I now seem much less wound up than usual...(?)
As an aside, I really miss this bike... Some seriously good times! (And maybe it was those memories that drew me back onto a bike??)

1980YamahaXS100G.jpg

I was born again in 06 when I got my AE after a 21 year layoff. Like SockMonkey my last ride before the FJR was a XS1100

xs100f.jpg

turbodave_98, here's a picture of my Pop back in 83. His also had factory bags and a Windjammer fairing.

xs100g.jpg