CalSci Medium review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Concourier

Reaction score
I know this is one of those never ending topics, but when I was doing research on what to replace the stock screen with, many of you here had offered up some great insights and reviews over the years.

Here's my own review, with side-by-side photo comparisons, of replacing the stock screen with a CalSci medium on my 2007 FJR.

I hope it adds to the canon, and is helpful to anyone trying to decide what to go with (CeeBaily, CalSci, Rifle etc)

https://shutterpilot.blogspot.com/2012/09/calsci-fjr-windscreen-review.html

Feel free to pass the link along, if you think it would be helpful to anyone on any other forums.

~Bill

Wow, what a good review. I also went with the Calsci. It started as an XL then I cut it down to a large, thinking of cutting to a medium. Anyway, great review and super clear and well labeled photos. Thanks!

I know this is one of those never ending topics, but when I was doing research on what to replace the stock screen with, many of you here had offered up some great insights and reviews over the years.

Here's my own review, with side-by-side photo comparisons, of replacing the stock screen with a CalSci medium on my 2007 FJR.

I hope it adds to the canon, and is helpful to anyone trying to decide what to go with (CeeBaily, CalSci, Rifle etc)

https://shutterpilot.blogspot.com/2012/09/calsci-fjr-windscreen-review.html

Feel free to pass the link along, if you think it would be helpful to anyone on any other forums.

~Bill

Really helpful review. I've never really had an issue with the stock screen until the last trip where we did a good deal of slab riding. They wind buffeting above 70 was really annoying after an hour. Is this where the real benefit of the better shields come in play? Also I was noticing the vacuum toward the windshield more this trip. Do people upgrade windshields for sport riding or slab riding? I am 5' 10" so my height may be helping me with this for once.

I'm 5'10" (well, more like 5' 9.5" or so now) with a 31inch inseam. You can see in my ride report starting here:

https://shutterpilot.blogspot.com/2012/06/big-ride-day-one.html

The stock screen really became hellish for me over 70 mph. For 20 minute rides it didn't matter, but after 10-12 hours in the saddle, I was ready to rip it off and leave it roadside. Now, I've been used to a Kawi Concours and a windjammer back in the day (relative barndoors), so some of that was being in bufetting air for the first time on the FJR. But I found the constant left-right buffet and backpressure really bad, it was seriously wearing me out and after that trip, my search for a better screen was on.

Other than the CalSci, others on the forum have also liked screens from CeeBailey, Rifle, and V-Stream. I chose the CalSci for the reasons listed in my blog. YMMV, but I'm loving it. Since you've mostly been okay with your stocker, I'm guessing the CalSci would fit your needs well. If you're really looking for more of a barndoor experience, than I think the Rifle or Vstream is what you're looking for.

Hey Burt,

CalSci has a chart on their website for determining which height may be right for you. If you're in between 2 sizes, most feedback I saw online would indicate you'd be happier with the smaller of the two.

Unless you want complete blockage and don't mind looking "thru" the plexi rather than over it, then go with the larger size.

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html#Height

Really helpful review. I've never really had an issue with the stock screen until the last trip where we did a good deal of slab riding. They wind buffeting above 70 was really annoying after an hour. Is this where the real benefit of the better shields come in play? Also I was noticing the vacuum toward the windshield more this trip. Do people upgrade windshields for sport riding or slab riding? I am 5' 10" so my height may be helping me with this for once.
Don't know about the sport/slab reason but I ended up with a 4x2 Cee Bailey flip for colder weather and a Cee Bailey 15" shorty for hot weather. Very much enjoy the benefits of each one. Like many on this forum, two different shields were found to be the "best" solution.

Thanks for this great and comprehensive review.

I bought my 07 with a Cee-Bailey/Light grey tinted already installed. I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and fully retracted the shield will move in to my line of sight, which bugs me a bit. The shield has the dimensions 22.5" center vertical and about 20" horizontal at the widest point. From what I can tell of the pictures, my CB has a little spoiler up top which deflects the airflow nicely away from the helmet, I too can run 75+ with my visor open, yet the spoiler also has a downside, I see a tad of movement of the windshield being pushed back by the oncoming wind, sure I can reason, it has to do that, else it could break away over time, but for my liking too much.

I'm considering to replace mines with a CalSci, because I like the look of it a bit better.

Thanks for a very thorough review and photo comparison, that was great! I went with the Rifle Tall screen and like it much more than stock. One issue I have with all of these screens is that when I raise the screen I feel much more wind directly on my hands, and this is very bothersome in cold weather. I know they shape these screens to hug the fairing body when the screen is in its lowest position, but when you rais it everything changes on the wind pattern and I like dry, warm hands, so I am not done looking for something else yet.

Granger

Thanks for a very thorough review and photo comparison, that was great! I went with the Rifle Tall screen and like it much more than stock. One issue I have with all of these screens is that when I raise the screen I feel much more wind directly on my hands, and this is very bothersome in cold weather. I know they shape these screens to hug the fairing body when the screen is in its lowest position, but when you rais it everything changes on the wind pattern and I like dry, warm hands, so I am not done looking for something else yet.

Granger
I just came back from a week trip with morning temps in the upper 30's low 40's My mid sized Cali Sci in its sweet spot about 3/4 up kept wind off my hands. I never resulted to my winter gloves and did fine with my thin summer gloves. Nothing is perfect but the Cali-Sci works for me.

Bill

Very nice job. I have a CB, I believe, that came with my '03 and need to do something about the back pressure and turbulence. Might try the rifle tuning block first.

Thanks for the review!