calsci vs. cee bailey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODan

Reaction score
I have a CalSci and a Cee Bailey flip, I thought a comparison might be useful.

Me:

5'10.5"

210 lbs of fighting flab

a little longer than average from butt to shoulders (based on how clothes fit) so I think I'm about 5'11" when it comes to height on the seat

I mostly sit far forward on the seat (as upright as possible) but move around some

HJC full face helmet

foam ear plugs

Bike:

08 FJR

seat in the higher position

bars at the full back position

Central CO mounts, so heat isn't too much of a problem, I bought somewhat large windshields because it can be cold here (59 degrees yesterday morning for example, it will be 30 soon)

CalSci:

Bought last year and I've put about 2,500 miles on with it. XL, which is about +4 in height

Came well packaged, included a soft fabric cover (which the stocker went into) and a small spray bottle of cleaner, fit perfectly (install starting at the center), did not include the gasket, edges were cleanly finished but unpolished (not a big deal, I never noticed it after installation).

In lower position puts the air a couple of inches below the top of my shoulder, fine to ride with if the noise doesn't bother you, and the wind provides some support. I played with height at lot. At the best position the top of the windshield is a couple of inches out of the view, providing a good view of the road for moderate riding. Seemed to push the air over my head, which was the goal. Any higher and there was a LOT of buffeting. The windshield had to be in EXACTLY the right position for the best ride.

I noticed that if I leaned forward just a bit (for example, if my butt was at the back of the seat) the buffeting went away, but that put too much weight on my hands to do for long.

I was happy until the last day of summer last year when I went on a 430 mile ride through the CO mountains, speeds from 35 to occasionally 75. I began to notice a subtle buffeting around the halfway point. By the end of the ride it had worn me out, my head hurt some, and I was flat tired.

Cee Bailey:

Bought this summer and I've put about 700 miles on it. +4 height +3 width, flip, light gray tint

Came well packaged and included a gasket but no bag or spray cleaner. Fit perfectly - some have noted hole alignment problems but I started from the center and it fit perfectly. The gasket came cut with lots of little tits of foam left on. I'd trim those off next time because now I have to look at them, that would take no time, and I'm OCD anyway - most wouldn't care or even notice. Edges of the screen were nicely finished.

In the lower position it's just about the same as the Cal Sci, maybe the wind is an 1" higher. I played with the height quite a bit. There was quite a range of positions that were comfortable, without much buffeting, There was a notable range of positions that all gave a very similar feel - air over the head with little buffeting. CB could be easily place out of the view and still have good performance.

I was happy with it but - did a 400 miles through the CO mts, speeds from 35 to occasionally 80, more time on I-70 which meant more time at high speeds. By the end of the ride, the small amount of buffeting had also grown tiring but significantly less than on the CalSci.

Verdict - Cee Bailey.

Not a huge difference, but certainly there for me. Maybe a 20-25% improvement.

If I was doing it again I'd probably get the +3 height and the +2 width. The +3 width I went with makes a little bit of an awkward looking shape as the windshield begins to narrow just a bit and then gets wider to reach the +3 width. The is barely noticeable though.

I don't have anything to share about the wind for a passenger. My wife rides very rarely. Edit: I didn't experience any rain of significance, so I don't have anything to add there either.

My CalSci will be for sale as soon as I've cleaned it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been through my share of w/s trials, and I now own two CB's, one for the summer heat, and the other for the rest of the year. I guess I'm pretty tolerant of heat, as I'm still sporting the winter screen, along with hand guards and the Respro Foggy mask in my helmet....

I have a CeeBailey flip on the BMW RT and a Calsci on the FJR and pretty much agree with the observations of CODan and Toecutter.

I've got a Cee Baily 1+wide 3+tall. Quality work. Love it. I'm 5'-7" and it works for me with those dimensions. Also doesn't look like a barn door on the FJR.

GP

I purchased a CB +4(tall) and +3 (wide) flip in light tint at the beginning of this season. Fit perfectly, gasket needed a little trimming but otherwise fit fine. This windshield is highway nirvana !! :yahoo:

Even in the down position, wind is just at the top of my helmet and I get minor buffeting at shoulders. I'm 6'1" and fairly broad shouldered. Normally at highway speeds I run the screen at 1/3-1/2 up and I'm sitting in a virtual cacoon of clean air. Very little movement of the top of the screen even in chopped up highway traffic air. I've never had to raise it completely up and actually couldn't see over it if I did. I have Heli bars installed at the 1-3/4" setback so I'm a little further away from the screen than some may be and prefer to ride more upright (that's my 56 years, big butt, annd sore shoulders from years of snowmachining speaking !!).

Of interest, I bought this shield to replace a CB +6 +4 rounded top that produced much more buffeting, exhibited a lot of movement and never produced the clean air that the flip does, so I'm a happy camper. As Fall is coming on in Alaska, clean air and a little warmth from the engine feels mighty fine !!

Keep the rubber side down,

Jeff In Anchorage