Camera Gear Packing Solution

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
First off I have an aversion to adding a 30+ litter top case to my FJR. Concerns include aerodynamic issues, weight up high and too much weight on the sub-frame. My FJR handles very nice in the wind and I'd don't want to raise the profile. I can take my DL1000 Vstrom for a spin if I seek to get blown to hell. Been there done that, FJR solves it. Super.

I have collected a bit of DSLR camera gear lately and I don't have a camera pack to take the gear anywhere including on my motorcycle. So was looking for a one size fits all solution to pack my camera gear wherever I go.

Here is a photo of the $80 Quantaray QR 32N2M Medium Backpack Camera Bag. Available at Kit's Cameras.

IMG_8233.JPG

And a side view.

IMG_8225.JPG

And for the killer "I will buy it view":

IMG_8219.JPG

It has a removable interior bag measuring 11" tall x 11" wide and 6" deep and will easily fit in a motorcycle side case. Excellent.

IMG_8236.JPG

Inside view of the interior bag. I have a Canon Rebel XSi inside with a 28-135 lens plus hood, a wide angle lens, a Canon 430 Ex flash, Colkin filters and cleaning supplies.

IMG_8238.JPG

I carry a Canon S95 pocket camera with me for quick shots while riding. This is a very nice camera and very small. It amazing the quality you can get out of these small cameras. I can still carry my DSLR in my tank bag if I choose but for quick shots it really is not necessary.

The Quantaray's nifty design allows removing the interior bag for saddle bag stowage on day rides. When the wife joins me or for weekend rides I can lash the entire backpack to my alu top rack using Rok Straps.

It will not lock to the bike but that is not a huge deal to me. It easy to take with me. As for water proof a water proof stuff sack solves that. Mostly I am a solo rider so in the saddle bag it goes without the pack. And if the allure of a top case overcomes my aversion to top cases well then I have a very nice camera bag I needed anyway.

Tip: I spent a good deal of time researching this, looking into Pelican cases, Givi top cases, tail bags and a few soft camera bags. All the research was on the web. It is hard shopping for soft bags on the web. I went to Kits Camera to look at soft bags. I looked at the bag on the web before going to Kit's but the removable interior bag feature was not shown in a photo. It is nice to have brick and mortar stores around.

I carry my camera gear (dSLR, two lenses, flash, and video camera, along with memory cards and batteries and chargers) in a standard shoulder bag that fits in the side case. I have no aversion to the top case, I run a Givi E52 with the Givi steel rack, and have never noticed any of these "horrors" that people keep mentioning about them. I can't even remember the last time I had the Givi off the bike.

When really packing, like when I went to Sebring, the top case carries clothes and laptop, the other side case carries rain suit and shoes, and tank bag carries whatever still needs to be carried. Tent and sleeping bag strap to the pillion seat.

It sounds like you've made the purchase already, so I hope it works for you. For others liking the looks of this, I'd just suggest you consider some of the disadvantages of riding with a backpack of any kind. First, if you're riding in the heat, I've found it significantly reduces airflow when wearing mesh (what I have for a "backpack" is a Costco "Camelbak" knockoff). Probably not much of an issue now, or around Seattle much of ever.

Second, on long trips when I have a gear bag (camping stuff) on the passenger seat behind me, wearing the backpack reduces comfort when I want to lean back at all and for me, forces me into an awkward position. This would also be true if I had a pillion behind me, I'm sure. And I suspect this would be worse with a camera and lenses in the bag, rather than a plastic bag of yielding liquid. I guess I'd be concerned about having a clunky camera between the road and my back if I ever happened to find myself tumbling down the highway.

For my solution, I put an extended hose on the hydration pack and strap it down on the tail so I can drink as needed. For a camera, I'm thinking tank bag. (FWIW, I keep my point-and-shoot Canon on a lanyard around my neck.)

Coincidentally, that insert is a perfect fit for the Cortech Super 18L tank bag, and would be nice for caddying a camera right in reach for use.

IMG_8219.JPG

.... consider some of the disadvantages of riding with a backpack of any kind.
I guess I wasn't clear. I would not wear a backpack containing hard objects. Using the camera bag I will pack the camera interior bag into a side case or lash the entire backpack to the tail rack.

Thanks for looking at the post.

But how do you carry the stuff around, if all you took is the inner bag, which doesn't appear to have any straps or handles?

But how do you carry the stuff around, if all you took is the inner bag, which doesn't appear to have any straps or handles?
It does have one handle on the lid. It is really not meant for transportation. Much of the photography I do is near the road or of the road. On days I plan on going farther I can lash the entire pack to the tail rack.

The beauty is it allows to pack in the side case without straps getting tangled in the clam shell.

And if the idea does not pan out oh well - I still have a nice camera bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great solution to a common problem for those of us who are "shooters" and consider a point-and-shoot to be less than optimal.

I'm going to try it out, worst case scenario is that I end up with a 3rd or 4th camera bag.

Thanks!