Camping two up on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't let all that stuff scare you. The FJR is really a great bike! I never un wound my throttle, and since I've always owned Yamahas, I'm used to the wonkey throttle. I think the subframe issue is due to overload, I always have alot of stuff in my trunk and no problems, grounding was a recall, easy free fix. Clutch is smooth as butter! If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it without batting an eye. ;)

Sorry you don't like your FJR.
It makes me miss my BMW RT even more....and I will eventually try going back to one, once the bank account allows such. I am just happy I didnt pay allot for mine.
Easy there Francis,

I would bet that it would be the same trying to camp 2 up on the RT...it ain't like the RT has more room...and it surley doesn't have the power of the FJR ;)

So has anyone used a Upack on the FJR? Anyone have pictures, experiences 2 up with one? It seems like my only option for camping two up.

I should also note that my bike has a givi rack on it and not the factory rack

'cept that final drive issue that BMW doesn't acknowledge... ;)

+ 1 ya the dam final drive is killer on BMWs. I know a guy who had is LT done 3 times. I know others first hand too.

Motorcycles is like women; not of them is perfect you just settle for the one you think is best at the time and hope fer the best.

Two up camping is not what a sport touring bike does well. Now one of those fancy expensive BMW R100RTs is a frickin' mule. re-Read this post, tis a BMW, it is an endless loop.

Last edited by a moderator:
'cept that final drive issue that BMW doesn't acknowledge... ;)

+ 1 ya the dam final drive is killer on BMWs. I know a guy who had is LT done 3 times. I know others first hand too.

Motorcycles is like women; not of them is perfect you just settle for the one you think is best at the time and hope fer the best.

Two up camping is not what a sport touring bike does well. Now one of those fancy expensive BMW R100RTs is a frickin' mule. re-Read this post, tis a BMW, it is an endless loop.
For me the dead give away that this is an issue, is when IBR rider(s) were actually carrying a spare final drive with them in the 2011 Iron Butt. That's a pretty big issue to have to worry about. IIRC one actually had to change a final drive this last IBR to finish.

The U-Pack looks like it may be a good option. I would probably go with the largest. I like the idea of the cutout for the pillion.

Not mine, but another reason for a Super Tenere:

1.jpg

Seriously, the same concept applies. Just get creative and have a way to tie items on top of your cases. Maybe without the poles put the tent into one of the boxes, then the set of poles could strap into any of a number of places, such as beneath the top box. My Big Agnes inflatable mattress is about the size of 2 soda cans. Being summer, you might be able to use synthetic blankets and ditch the sleeping bags to save space on the biggest item(s).

I think it'll be fun and doable, just not the svelt look of the FJR that most of us love so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I talked to a friend of mine and he offer to loan me his Jo's Upack:

https://www.josupac.com/main1.html

You guys are starting to make me question the FJR as a sport touring bike...and I am starting to question what the love for this bike is. All these issues on this one bike...I had to add a G2 throttle tube and a power comander so it doesnt buck like a son of a bitch, I need to do a clutch soak so the clutch plates can actually disengage...My windshield has play in it only to find thats normal and looking at the mechanism it appears to be a bad stack of tolerances. I need to add additional grounding so that doesnt fry, I have to undo a spring winding becasue my wrist isnt on par with the incredible hulk, and now I come to find my frame may break if I put shit in the top case while riding two up???? WTF.....I have never ran into so many issues bundled in one bike....when I had my BMW's, people criticized (mostly japanese bike riders) the BMW quality / reliability but in over 10 BMW's I have never seen so much shit that should have been caught early on...and to think this is Yamahas second crack at making this shit right. Its sad becasue it could be a great bike....but the frame cracking is definatelty a huge disapointment.
That pac looks it would be just the ticket for two-up camping. It would be nice if it was water proof.