Can I put in back of THIS pickup?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
I bought an AWESOME used pickup truck (Dodge Ram 2500 diesel). However the original owner has an auxiliary fuel tank that takes up almost two feet of the bed. I did a "test load" and found a ramp that matches up to the pickup bed's height.

If I load the bike straight down the middle, the tiedown spots on the bed would be forward and down from the front wheel (and around the box), and forward and down of the back seat/passenger footpegs. Here's a picture of where the back wheel will make contact with the tailgate (RIGHT at the edge...the wood block was used as a step-up to load it in). The reason the bike is tilted is because I put the sidestand down to keep it up while I took pictures.

tow001.jpg

tow003.jpg

If I load the bike with the front wheel in the corner of the fuel tank and the bed, it puts the bike in a more diagonal position, which brings the wheel away from the edge of the tailgate, but still on the tailgate. It looks more secure, but I don't know how I could securely tie it down like that. Also, it's a little tougher to find a good spot to load/unload like that.

tow004.jpg

tow002.jpg

In either case, I'd build a REALLY simple device to keep the wheels in line and from moving. Just a piece of plywood in the bed with 2 x 4's screwed into it about 4 or 5 inches apart. So the wheel can't turn past them.

OR, I can try to snag a harbour freight trailer on sale (cost around $230) and use that with the truck. I'd rather go the cheaper route of tying the bike in the bed of the truck, but I want to make sure it's secure. I don't know how much that tailgate can hold (weight-wise, strapped down), and if it's safe to have the back wheel so close to the edge, even if it's got constant tension forward.

Looking for some more educated opinions. Thanks.

Alexi

I have loaded and hauled many bikes in the back of pickups over the years. (Being a Minnesotan sucks, and when you need to ride you do what you have to do.)

If you have the front wheel chocked so it can't turn, and the tie downs are secure and forward of your hook points in the front and rear, you should be fine. Tie the back end also using forward pull. The most important thing is that the back end won't swing side to side, and the front is secure. The endgate should support the rear wheel with no trouble. Make sure the cables and hooks supporting the end gate are in good condition.

Just my $.02

The whole idea of the FJR is to leave the truck behind. That said, ( ha-ha first ! , 1st, #1, numero uno ;) ) , putting the FJR up there scares me just seeing you do it. If you have to bring the truck along, get an enclosed trailer so nobody has to see an FJR being shamed. :eek:

You could just ride the bike! ;)

Actually I must come clean. I have a pick-up and a trailer because I thought it would be useful for hauling the bike. I have never had the bike on either of them though. But, like Jimmy Carter, I have sinned in my mind!

gypsy

You could always throw a Harley cover over it so no one will know..........
That's devious.. and funny ! Makes we wonder how many of ' them ' get a bad rap from stealth trailering. :lol:

I've often wished I had an enclosed trailer for mine so I could get the hell out of mid-winter Dodge for some good riding weather somewhere distant and still protect it from all the salt splooge enroute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trailer. As a friend of mine once observed, a trailer is a LOT less expensive than back surgery or new tupperware

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hate the though of loading that big a bike into the truck. Coupla dirt bikes, fine. A quad, fine. But not a large bike of up near 700 pounds.

A trailer makes more sense to me. Much easier load/unload, much less change of a ramp problem or having to find a suitable spot.

Don't think I haven't thought of riding it while my wife drives the truck. It was plan one. But she it's a LONG ride. We're going to from central TX to North NJ (where my family is), and after two weeks there, going to GA where I'll live. If we were ending up back where we started, we'd take the one vehicle (the bike). But it's a long drive, and she wants me there with her to talk to for our combined 40 hours of driving.

As for the shiny-ness of the tailgate, we bought it used, and it came with LOTS of chrome. Including A GIANT chrome inside cover for the tailgate. Which actually freaks me out, cause in the rearview mirror, I see the chrome, and it reflects the back window of my OWN vehicle, which throws off my depth perception when backing up. Still getting used to it.

Alexi

Sorry, we cannot answer this question seriously after seeing that 'look at me shiny' tailgate.

Sorry- had to take that cheap shot.

I've done a similar arrangement to that with a previous bike (C10 Connie) with no trouble . The tailgate on my much less manly Chevy Silverado could handle the rear tire of the bike. Securely strap it down and take the obvious measures to prevent horizontal sliding (as opposed to tipping) and you'll be fine. A little common sense goes a long way when tying down a bike.

My neighbor hauls his HD in the back of a Dakota all the time. The rear wheel is on the tailgate and all he does is use a piece of plywood like you are talking about to spread out the load. Last time he went back east to ride to some veterans thing. Never had a problem.

What do you think of something like this? I like the ones that kind of rotate over the top from the in position to the out position, giving you an extra foot plus when extended, but it also gives you that stable enclosed area in the back of the bed so stuff won't slide around when it's "in" and the tailgate's shut.

41nORLEcckL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

You got it up there so loading must've not been an issue. I'd use the truck. I've hauled 500-600 miles exactly like your pic with the rear tire on the tailgate. Properly secured it's fine. I'd also recommend the handlebar straps (canyon dancers??). I don't have a pair yet, but I've seen them used on an FJR and they are really secure.

Haul it. At least you have plenty of power. Truck probably won't even know you added the wieght. Hopefully you have a place to back up to that is level to the truck to unload (or a very long ramp) ;)

I'd scour craigslist for a good used 5x8 utility trailer. I found mine for a great price and it comes in handy for a lot more than they few times I've had to trailer the bikes.

Latest posts