Can you change the handlebar angle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
Without actually bringing the bars up any higher or closer? I'd really like to bring the outside of the bars down and forward a bit, does anyone make anything like that? I've heard the helibar angle is better but I don't want them higher or closer OR to spend that much.

Came across this thread

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=23737&st=0&p=278743entry278743

Has anyone yet had any safety issues with changing the angle?
No. Its part of the stock handlebars. I moved mine to rear most position and it took about 20 minutes.
Me Too! Rear most position works best for me. Doesn't take more than 20 minutes to do. Just make sure you take both of them off at the same time. Doing one at a time will not work. I learned that the hard way. :)

I was wondering about the guy who took one of the pins out to alter the angle.

I removed one of the pins on each bar. This let me swing the bar ends out more. Guess you could go the other way. Put 10,000 miles on them so far and the bars have not moved or caused any issues.

There still two bolts and one pin holding the bar. I would not remove both pins, but you don't need to. (I actually gave up trying to pull the pin out, I just lopped it off with a cutoff wheel in my dremel tool)

The change for me was dramatic. My wrists were cocked before and caused pain on ling trips. Now, pain free and I found I did not to instal risers.

I removed one of the pins on each bar. This let me swing the bar ends out more. Guess you could go the other way. Put 10,000 miles on them so far and the bars have not moved or caused any issues.

There still two bolts and one pin holding the bar. I would not remove both pins, but you don't need to. (I actually gave up trying to pull the pin out, I just lopped it off with a cutoff wheel in my dremel tool)

The change for me was dramatic. My wrists were cocked before and caused pain on ling trips. Now, pain free and I found I did not to instal risers.
I have yet to adjust anything yet but I would really like to do the opposite of what you did and bring the bar end closer. Does that mean I should take out the inner one?

Last edited by a moderator:

I have yet to adjust anything yet but I would really like to do the opposite of what you did and bring the bar end closer. Does that mean I should take out the inner one?
Auron, if you bring the handle bars closer to you than the rear most position originally allows, the bars will hit the tank. DON'T DO IT! :huh:

Auron, if you bring the handle bars closer to you than the rear most position originally allows, the bars will hit the tank. DON'T DO IT! :huh:
There seems like plenty of space for a few mm of adjustment, no?

There seems like plenty of space for a few mm of adjustment, no?
I have mine at the rear most position and there's very little daylight when the bar is maxed out in either direction. I don't think you can get anymore out of it without hitting the tank. :unsure:

I have removed the inner pin and rotated them back. No reason why you couldn't do the same with the outer pin removed I don't think. I have risers so can't comment on whether it would hit the tank or not. Agree with Knifemaker, two bolts and one pin won't allow them to move without significant impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I take out one pin, you can still cheat the bars just a little bit, even though you have to mounting points? The hex and the bolt? I took them off to have a look and it does seem as though there is a little bit of free play, is that what you take up to move the bars?

Yes. The pins just ensure that the bars move parallel adjusting them front to back. Removing one pin allows you to slightly swing the bars more forward or back. As you won't have both pins to to align each bar, you just have to measure them yourself so each bar is moved at the same angle.

I think even to pull the ends in, you'd still just need to remove the outer pin, as your swinging them on that axis.

I have no idea about tank clearance, but it's worth trying even if you find out it's an issue.

I have removed the inner pin and rotated them back. No reason why you couldn't do the same with the outer pin removed I don't think. I have risers so can't comment on whether it would hit the tank or not. Agree with Knifemaker, two bolts and one pin won't allow them to move without significant impact.
With Risers on, maybe you will have a little more room before touching the tank because it will touch pretty high up on the tank. Without risers, not so much. Good Luck. :)

Thanks for the help guys, I'm planning on moving the bars to the forward most position and cheating them back until just before they clear the tank. I have an old shoulder injury and it's just amazing how much of a difference a few mm can make.