Can you see me now? (Mirrors on my 07)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGirl

Reaction score
ON THE ROAD ...(reside in AZ-85338, CA-96150,
Yes, I'm new 'round here so for those of you who have more total posts on the forum than some of us FNG's (Fantastic New Girls?) have miles on our bikes please keep in mind that 1)Search is not always FNG friendly and 2) neither are some of the responses. Remember, there was a time when you didn't know everything a/b an FJR too ya know. :yes: That said, I'm not aware if 07A mirrors are the same or different from other model years in function (or lack thereof), form or fitment. First, could someone explain the purpose of my 07 mirrors folding completely OUT? As a lane-splittin' extraordinare, I welcome the functionality of a bike's mirrors folding in... but folding out?? :umm: My only guess is they're a contorted parking assistance idea gone ary since folding these things out while riding would be an idea perhaps only found in the How To Lowside manual. Seriously, what is the purpose of this feature that I'm, um, overlooking?

Second, folding or not, I don't like (ok, hate) the view the mirrors afford me. (BTW, I'm not interested in starting a mirror debate so if you love 'em, maybe this isn't your thread). I'm trying to explore my options for replacement since I prefer to actually see what is *behind* me. Based on the replies from the Search function, it seems FZ1 mirrors are popular but I'm not finding detailed replies (as in more than a thread or two) relating to mirror replacement for 06+ bikes (what I learned yesterday is also referred to as a “Generation II” bike for other newbies perhaps reading this). :search:

Any info, pics, links., etc for an alternative greatly appreciated.

AGirl

Yes, I'm new 'round here so for those of you who have more total posts on the forum than some of us FNG's (Fantastic New Girls?) have miles on our bikes please keep in mind that 1)Search is not always FNG friendly and 2) neither are some of the responses. Remember, there was a time when you didn't know everything a/b an FJR too ya know. :yes: That said, I'm not aware if 07A mirrors are the same or different from other model years in function (or lack thereof), form or fitment. First, could someone explain the purpose of my 07 mirrors folding completely OUT? As a lane-splittin' extraordinare, I welcome the functionality of a bike's mirrors folding in... but folding out?? :umm: My only guess is they're a contorted parking assistance idea gone ary since folding these things out while riding would be an idea perhaps only found in the How To Lowside manual. Seriously, what is the purpose of this feature that I'm, um, overlooking?
Second, folding or not, I don't like (ok, hate) the view the mirrors afford me. (BTW, I'm not interested in starting a mirror debate so if you love 'em, maybe this isn't your thread). I'm trying to explore my options for replacement since I prefer to actually see what is *behind* me. Based on the replies from the Search function, it seems FZ1 mirrors are popular but I'm not finding detailed replies (as in more than a thread or two) relating to mirror replacement for 06+ bikes (what I learned yesterday is also referred to as a "Generation II" bike for other newbies perhaps reading this). :search:

AGirl
The bikes are shipped with the mirrors folded out. That's all I know about that.

I replaced my AE mirrors with OEM FZ1 Mirrors. Lane splitting becomes a bit more challenging, because the stick out a bit farther.

FZ1Mirrors2006FJR1300AE.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote

Second, folding or not, I don't like (ok, hate) the view the mirrors afford me. (BTW, I'm not interested in starting a mirror debate so if you love 'em, maybe this isn't your thread). I'm trying to explore my options for replacement since I prefer to actually see what is *behind* me. Based on the replies from the Search function, it seems FZ1 mirrors are popular but I'm not finding detailed replies (as in more than a thread or two) relating to mirror replacement for 06+ bikes (what I learned yesterday is also referred to as a “Generation II” bike for other newbies perhaps reading this). :search:

AGirl

AGirl,

Welcome to the Forum and to the FJR.

This is not alot of help, but I have FZ1 mirrors on my '05 and luv 'em. They were easy to switch-out, and finally I can see around my rotund frame!

Unfortunately, I don't know if they'll fit an '06 ... perhaps someone here does know and can give you a recommendation.

Regards,

JW :)

Nice beginning AGirl. Takes the wind outta the needle peckered turdbuckets (please pardon my french ma'am) who jump on newbies. :D

That said, can't answer your question re whether FZ1 mirrors will fit your 07. But, will tell you there one of the best farkles I did on my 05. They fold easily, give a great view, heck, I think I could lose one or the other and still have a good view behind me. I will say that, my experience, that aren't of the same quality as the stock mirrors. The mirror surface isn's as "flat" as the stock and I get kind of a wavvy view. I'm used to it and wouldn't trade back to stock.

Good luck.

First, could someone explain the purpose of my 07 mirrors folding completely OUT? As a lane-splittin' extraordinare, I welcome the functionality of a bike's mirrors folding in... but folding out??
You know the outlet that is inside the glovebox that only opens when the bike is running and in neutral. The junior over-engineer that designed that did such a great job he got a promotion and was put in charge of the mirrors <_<

Have you explored the option of adding very small convex mirrors to the far corner of the existing mirrors? The "closer than it appears" type? That is what I intend on doing to my bike (when the weather warms up, that is). I just bought a set of small stick on types from Cycle Gear. I think that those longer mirrors look kinda' dorkus (sorry guys, my opinion only)... kinda' like a kid w/ a short haircut & his ears stick out terribly. I understand the need for them... but if your problem isn't your bod is too wide for the mirrors, why change 'em out. Cost of mirrors was a couple of bucks.

Oh, and I have no idea why your mirrors fold out. Gen 1 owner here.

Heidi

Maybe they left this part out of the '07 manual but in my '06 manual it says that the mirrors fold both forward and back and to return them to their original position before riding. (See, I was nice)

I think the 07 and 06 mirrors are the same. I had trouble at first with the mirrors too. Although it sounds counter intuitive adjust them farther in to see more behind you. You get a good chunk of your shoulder but once I tried this the view has been excellent.

Welcome.

"Takes the wind outta the needle peckered turdbuckets (please pardon my french ma'am) who jump on newbies."

Now thats funny!!!!

AGirl,

You are right about many things. I remember being a FNG not too long ago and how challenging the search function was/is. After all, most acronyms are only three characters long and you can't search for that or two-digit years.

06 & 07 mirrors are the same. What I had on my 05 provided the best view of any, absolutely ANY mirror I've seen on an FJR. I had Multivex stick-on mirrors. But the cheesy way they stick on the glass surface was just, well, fugly!

In the past few days I have found myself dropping my elbows to see if LEO is behind me and I'm really pissing him off by ignoring his blues. Me thinks it's time for some type of convex mirror add-on. I LOVED the function of the Multivex, but cannot in good conscious, recommend their style. Take a look for yourself before making the decision.

Multivex mirrors

There are a couple recent threads where various convex add-ons were discussed.

Here's one:

Convex mirror thread

If you purchase something that you wind up really liking, please share. My elbows are, well, fugly!

:)

Unfortunately, I don't know if they'll fit an '06 ... perhaps someone here does know and can give you a recommendation.
Yes, the FZ-1 mirrors will fit on the NewGen ('06-'07) bikes. For the Old Gen bikes, the stalks are longer and the mirror heads a different shape so, for those of us who are of a "wider" body shape, the mirrors are now above our elbows and a bit farther our so there is no blind spot behind you. I lane-share daily and have no problems with the mirrors. They are now like cat's whiskers...if they won't fit, I don't split. :lol:

Buy them from University Motors in Fargo ND. Mention the FJR Forum and, IIRC, dealer + 15%. They are great people to deal with.

MultiVex mirrors

Some here have strong dislike of them and voice such dislike at every opportunity, but they are an option.

Probably the easiest to install, but cosmetically leave something to be desired.

Function vs. Looks...kinda like my bright yellow Curious George suit I wear.

MultiVex mirrors
Some here have strong dislike of them and voice such dislike at every opportunity, but they are an option.

Probably the easiest to install, but cosmetically leave something to be desired.

Function vs. Looks...kinda like my bright yellow Curious George suit I wear.
You know, I really try hard to convey just how ugly the mounting is. But to be fair, the functionality is just as strongly opposite.

"Fantastic New Girls" - Love it !!

Hi,

Also a FNG - well almost. I have an 06 - same mirros as the 07 & I understand the problem. I did the same thing as one of the other rides & brought them in to see better - gotta love the elbows.

So -- where are you in Arizona? I am from the Tucson area?

Diane

2006 1300A

Wow- I thought (from sitting on one at the dealer) that the mirrors on the FJR were a huge improvement over my FZ1 as far as seeing behind me. Of course, on the road may be different. I wonder if I should steal the mirrors off my bike before I sell it?

Actually, just wanted to ask if it matters which generation FZ1- or did they use the same mirrors?

Actually, just wanted to ask if it matters which generation FZ1- or did they use the same mirrors?
I dunno. :blink: I thought they were all the same. I s'pose one cold go to the Yamaha site and check the part numbers for the various years.

On my '05 I used:

5LV-26280-00-00 and 5LV-26290-00-00, $43.13 each.

AGirl:

This is just a guess but I think the mirrors fold in either direction so that in the event of a tipover they minimize damage to the fairing to which they mount and perhaps the mirrors themselves.

Dave

Wow- I thought (from sitting on one at the dealer) that the mirrors on the FJR were a huge improvement over my FZ1 as far as seeing behind me. Of course, on the road may be different. I wonder if I should steal the mirrors off my bike before I sell it?
I agree. The FJR mirrirs are a huge improvement over the view that stock FZ1 mirrors had. They just sucked. I replaced mine with custom mounted Majesty mirrors. I still have the original FZ1 mirrors if someone wants them. Just send me shipping costs and you can have them. There is probably a place on this site for this sort of transaction, but this seems like an opportune location considering that I am not looking to make a profit, just get rid of some stuff lying around my garage.

First person to send to [email protected] gets them.