Can you see me now?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have long been a proponent of wearing bright colors while riding a motorcycle. A few years back I bought a used Fieldsheer Quattro Jacket in HiViz yellow color (thanks zzzzip!). I've been so impressed with that jacket, and especially the HiViz eye catching brightness, that I've been wanting to expand the HiViz theme up on the noggin where it sticks up and can be seen by traffic from all directions.

But alas, the choices are limited. It's hard to even find one in stock, which means having to mail order it, and all of the potential issues associated with that. If I had the budget for it I'd spring for one of them fancy high buck helmets. But I don't right now.

What I do have is a couple of extra used helmets. I got a great closeout deal on some helmets a couple years back

100_2010.jpg

I actually have three of these KBC VR-1 helmets (wife has two) in the familiar yellow pattern that many folks around here have come to associate with yours truly. We already owned one of them (each), so knew that they would fit well, and we got the others on closeout from Motorcycle Superstore for $45 ea. I chose one that was the most scuffed up and converted it to a cheap-o HiViz...

First, after removing as much trim as possible, I scuffed the entire surface well with a fine (320 grit) sandpaper. After taping off the stuff I didn't want painted, and plugging all the ventilation holes in the helmet with little twists of paper towel, I shot it with a coat of rattle can white primer.

100_2002.jpg

In retrospect, I should have used two coats of primer, as some of the graphic pattern can be seen through the finished paint job. But this was a quick and dirty job. No attempt was made at having this look like anything but an amateur effort (and I succeeded quite well ;) )

After the primer comes the HiViz yellow. Here it is after the first coat.

100_2003.jpg

In this experiment I learned that, for maximum HiViz-iness you really want to have the white undercoat and then a thin, even coat of HiViz. I did it backwards and used one coat of white primer and two coats of HiViz, then covered the whole thing with two coats of matte clearcoat. This resulted in a bright yellow, but not as bright as it was after just one coat.

Here is the finished work after getting all the doo-dads reattached. Pretty eye catching don't you think?

100_2005.jpg

100_2004.jpg

100_2006.jpg

100_2007.jpg

Oh yeah, gotta get in my plug for the upcoming NERDS '11 in Stowe Vermont!!!

100_2008.jpg

Total cost for the project was ~ $15 at Home Despot for 1 can white primer, 1 can DayGlow yellow, 1 can matte clear coat

Obligatory after project celebratory self-gratification (and medication)...

100_2001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah!!

In this case it had to. When I tried to peel off the blue painters tape I had over the DOT sticker, the damn DOT sticker peeled off!! :eek:

For the love of all that is holy, please DO NOT share this technology with Iggy. He'll just use it to dick up his bike some more.

PS - Nice work.

Kisses and stuff.

Nice job Fred. I think you deserved double the reward though ;)
Notice that he finished the job at 8:30 in the morning, a time where many Fourmites are still in bed suffering from altitude sickness ;)

Nice job Fred, there is just enough contrasting color to enhance the look and remind us of the bumblebee bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Rob, I know... "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." ... ;)

I should mention a couple more things:

First off, this is a fiberglass helmet shell. I would not try painting a plastic shell as I don't know what that would do to the shell integrity.

Second, you can see that I taped over the face port and pugged up the little holes. I also tightly taped over the entire bottom of the helmet to keep from getting paint overspray and fumes inside. The expanded polystyrene does not fare well in the presence of paint. Try spraying a little paint on a foam coffee cup and see what I mean.

Nicely Done Fred! Made the move to Hi-Viz gear myself after a friend of mine got clobbered by a Volvo last summer just 2 blocks away from where I had been hit by a mini-van 3 weeks earlier . . . . I've noticed that the Hi-viz gear works and I believe I'm more readily noticed . .