Cannot find procedure for Gen 1 barbarian jumper mod….please help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Power is the same I believe, at a claimed 141.5bhp. That didn't change until the 2013 increase (by which time the dang thing was 116lbs heavier). Even between the 2003 and 2006, the Gen1 is 61 lbs lighter. Secondary reduction gearing was changed by 1 tooth (Gen 1: 35/36 x 21/27 x 33/9 or 2.773:1. Gen 2: 35/37 x 21/27 x 33/9 or 2.698:1 and wheelbase lengthened 1".

Also, I think it was 2004 that Yamaha changed the throttle body ramp to be less linear, so it was less aggressive coming off idle through cruise, increasing the rate as one approached WOT. That doesn't really affect the overall performance, but it does change the throttle feel -- the 03 feels snappier coming off the line because you don't have to twist your wrist as far.

Even between the 2003 and 2006, the Gen1 is 61 lbs lighter.
I think there may be a difference between "Dry Weight" used in 2003 specs and "Wet Weight" used in later years. This only accounts for some of it. ABS probably makes a difference. And later ES suspension in Gen III+. Look at the following - I obviously can't vouch for accuracy...
2003 Specs
2006 Specs
2016 Specs

I was going by the dry weights in the FJR Compatibility Chart: 2003 = 521lbs., 2006 = 582lbs. I don't know where MCS got their numbers but they list both bikes as having the same dry weight -- and we know that ain't so. The extra plastic bits like the glove box, airflow management, adjustable seat and handle bars, etc. don't add much weight but ABS, linked brakes bigger radiator, longer wheelbase, etc. certainly do. I'm more inclined to trust the work of a dedicated enthusiast who researched his topic exhaustively than the magazine article that cut-and-pasted something they found somewhere.

According to Ignatio, the 2004 ABS, etc added about 30# and the 2006 Gen2 changes added another 30. But yeah, he does state that 2009-up are wet weights. Comparing before-and-after, it looks like the wet weight accounts for 57lbs so maybe the 2013 is not quite as much of a pig as I thought it was.

I don't know where MCS got their numbers but they list both bikes as having the same dry weight -- and we know that ain't so.
I thought it a bit strange as well based upon what I have read on this forum in the past which is what I said I couldn't vouch for the accuracy of the numbers. 61 lb difference, however, seemed like more than what was reasonable so I went looking for other information sources.

According to Ignatio, the 2004 ABS, etc added about 30# and the 2006 Gen2 changes added another 30. But yeah, he does state that 2009-up are wet weights. Comparing before-and-after, it looks like the wet weight accounts for 57lbs so maybe the 2013 is not quite as much of a pig as I thought it was.
It was according to the Yamaha website as I observed during those periods new FJRs were posted on the website. I tended to do it the month the model was announced. I did my best to record the amounts, focus on the deltas and recall forum discussion on the method of recording weight in 2006, and summarized the change in the notes.