Can't find a hitch!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racefan

Reaction score
Does anyone have a hitch on their 06-08? I can find them for Gen I bikes, but they won't fit my 07.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep us posted on your endeavor RaceFan.. I have a bud who wants to tow a trailer. Personally, I don't get it.. especially since I can follow him and drink his cold beer at day's end...

Where's that guy with the totally-farkled '03 when you need him? Probably out touring the country with his wife and trailer. I guess I'll have to wait until NAFO to see him again....

I plan to put a hitch on my '07 - not to tow a trailer, but to mount a cooler or storage box. Although I'm sure it will not be as forgiving as the Wing, I'll bet I can put a pretty good load back there without much affect to handling - or mileage - or the Cali 55 mph trailer limit. I'll probably wind up building my own...

I had used a BushTec hitch on my '05. I've not checked with them, but they may be worth a look.

The BushTec is designed specifically for their trailor, but the modification to a ball-type connection is easy. And from looking at the pictures of the others noted above, the BushTec seems a simpler design. I really can't see it not working on any of the years. Of course, I've not looked under the rear seat of a 2nd gen., so I could be talking complete crap.

I had used a BushTec hitch on my '05. I've not checked with them, but they may be worth a look.
The BushTec is designed specifically for their trailor, but the modification to a ball-type connection is easy. And from looking at the pictures of the others noted above, the BushTec seems a simpler design. I really can't see it not working on any of the years. Of course, I've not looked under the rear seat of a 2nd gen., so I could be talking complete crap.
I talked with BushTec today and he told me they make a hitch, but the pin is welded in and they would not modify it

for a ball.

On the bottom of the pin is a circular weld. Grind it off. Pin comes out, ball hitch goes in. 3/4'' shaft, IIRC. Touch-up the paint. Nothing can be noticed from topside.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pic on their website look just like the one I just sent backIt says it fits all years, but I will give them a call friday
Sorry, I just went to the Dauntless website and saw what must be a recent addition of a photo of the FJR trailer hitch in question. I had not seen this photo before ( Dauntless listed a hitch but had no pics )and did not realize it's apparently the same hitch I had recommended earlier.

It still appears to be a good hitch and I hope it will indeed fit Gen II's. Perhaps Dauntless will update to include them.

Either way, I would verify fitment with either Dautless or Open Road Outfitters before ordering.

Damn, I miss pulling my trailer.
I never heard it called a trailer before. :rolleyes:

Seriously, when I added a trailer, 2-up moto-camping went from "bare essentials"

to oppulent: I was able to bring things like chairs, pillows, a stove and more which

changed the camping experience from roughing it to enjoyable.

I don't presently have a hitch on my FJR but I plan on adding one: I also miss "pulling my trailer"

Trailer-pulling disclaimer: Careful how many times you "pull" your trailer. Personally, I already need glasses. Blindness is inevitable.

Before it's all 'said and done', I'll have a hitch on the FZ6. I haven't seen one anywhere so I sure I'll have to fab the thing. I may go with a slightly smaller trailer than I have now, but that'll just give me the excuse to build another one.

Can someone explain how these others are mounted? What is the problem with fitment on the 2nd gens?

The bushtec uses 4 mounting points to the bike. Two are attached to the bracket on the frame that holds the rear peg-sets, and the other two actually go through the plastic fender (under the seat) and attach to the two bolts that are (I think I remember correctly) part of the rear sub-frame.

Maybe someone close to the manufacturers could give a drive-by and allow for modification of current design for fitment for the 2nd gens.

Latest posts