Can't get 2005 FJR fairing compartment open!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score

Power on, bike in neutral, engine not running, new battery.

suggestions please.

Yeah, press harder and pry up. Once you get it open inspect the mechanism carefully for wear and check that the solenoid assembly is not loose. A dab of grease on the latch may help for next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2005 did that too. The latch had failed. I tried WD-40, took it apart for inspection. No good. I took the bike to local dealer and had the entire glove box assembly replaced under extended warrenty (YES). The latch is integrated into the whole assembly and is not sold separately. To access the glove box and remove it, it is necessart to remove the entire left side plastic side cover. Don't waste time trying to fix it. Just go to a dealer and get it replaced, expecially if you have a YES contract.

screw it

key off or whatever:

on my '04, I just wrap my fingertip under the edge of the cover adjacent to the latch and pry up

SNAP and it's open

just press down smartly on the lid, and it closes with a snap

I got tired of the key on, neutral routine and now ignore all that procedure

YMMV,

Mike in Nawlins

Change it to manual, unlocked mode by yanking the solenoid and putting in a regular knob.

When I got my '04 (used) it would either never open or never close, and sometimes flew open spontaneously while riding!

Power on, bike in neutral, engine not running, new battery.

suggestions please.
My 2005 did that and I needed to get it open for a parking permit. Needless to say I replaced it and removed the selenoid device and it opens whenever I want it to and it has only opened once by it self (wind or not closed tightly). I figure it is easily broken into so a lock is redundant and I really don't try and open it on the open road.

Ed

I found on my 05 that if the ignition switch is on and the bike is in nuetral the latch opens. It keeps me and others form opening for sungalsses when riding...

I think the gasket around the lid is what makes mine stick. It usually takes just a gentle persuasion with a fingernail to remedy. I also think alot of the mechanism failures are caused by not closing under the same conditions as opening (nuetral w/key on), but I have no hard data to back that up.

Might try one of these..

m80sign.jpg

:jester: