Can't poke fun at Harleys anymore

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had this exact problem as well on my Gen2.

YES replaced the wiring harnass (w/ 1.5 hours of work). Rewiring all my farkles cost me $1k... God damn it, Yamaha.

If this happens to enough of us with no response from Yamaha couldn't we consider a class action suit? where's the lawyers with pro bono time?
Now that right there is every lawyer's dream case and client.

Just a note to say thanks for this discussion. I pick up my new 2008 AE on Thursday and already have several electricla farkles planned. Thanks to this discussion I will take care of the spider issue while I am doing the installation of these items and the tupperware is off.

Help a noob out with a link to what the "spider" fix is, and a pictorial link would be even better.. I'm guessing adding dielectric grease to all connections would help?

Help a noob out with a link to what the "spider" fix is, and a pictorial link would be even better.. I'm guessing adding dielectric grease to all connections would help?
Go to the top of this page, click the "Search" button and type in "Spider" and check the "Search in this Forum Only" box and you'll get about 30 different posts concerning the "Spider" problem.

A good starting place is THIS post.

READ AND ENJOY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the top of this page, click the "Search" button and type in "Spider" and check the "Search in this Forum Only" box and you'll get about 30 different posts concerning the "Spider" problem.

READ AND ENJOY!

Thanks, I found this as the solution..

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...128067&hl=#

is that all there is to it?

You'd think Yamaha would issue a recall..

I've had 3 Harleys made from 99 - 07 never had one mechanical breakdown, or oil leak. They may be antiquated , slow , heavy , overpriced and overhyped , but in my experience they've always been reliable.

In a long-term overview, H-D has a pretty enviable record. Sullied only by the AMF years and the 'Rubbie'/"lifestyle" incidents. :eek: :rolleyes:

Not to mention all the racing championships -- too numerous to enumerate.

In the words of the late J.B. (Bernie) Nicholson in his Modern Motorcycle Mechanics: "A notable characteristic of most of the large displacement American twins has been their ability to cover large mileages with a minimum of motor attention. Another worthy feature has been the substantial multiplate clutches..." "Consistency in general design, high standards of workmanship and reliability have characterized Harley-Davidson machines for many years. Few motorcycle manufacturers in the world have a record of producing a consistently large volume of reliable motorcycles for such a long period of years."

My bet is is Brodie stock is going to increase significantly when Yamaha buys out his design(s) that fix their failures.
:rofl: With all due respect to Brodie's skill producing high quality harnesses to 'fix' the FJR's wiring weaknesses, there is nothing there for Yamaha to buy! The idea of improving the paths to ground is hardly intellectual property. :rolleyes: And there are others who have come up with seemingly effective solutions to the issue.

...the guys in the back-room of many Yamaha dealers around the country only (usually) see Quads or UTVs... :blink: :( (may have only un-crated, or not-even-seen, an FJR...)

Knowing-of (or finding) a back-room capable Yamaha shop may be, part of, the solution... :unsure:
+100

It took me a couple of service trips to realize it, but the shop where I purchased my bike had zero knowledge of the FJR. Pretty sure I knew more about it than them before even finding this forum and it's member's wealth of knowledge.

I had this exact problem as well on my Gen2.YES replaced the wiring harnass (w/ 1.5 hours of work). Rewiring all my farkles cost me $1k... God damn it, Yamaha.
Geez, let me know if that happens again. I'll gladly do all your farkle rewiring for $1k!

========================================================================================

My FJR has only let me down on the road once, due to a dead battery. I had low confidence I was going to make it where I was headed anyway so I can't blame Yammi on that one. Although, a problem with my FJR did kill the battery. <_<

Cannot comment on an HD leaving me at the roadside, but at least with my FJR, I'm not riding a big, ugly, slow bike! :p

After all those years of making fun of H-Ds, ...

Not a happy camper.
I feel your pain.

My 2006 went dead with the same symptoms this past Saturday.

If it weren't for the people on this forum, I would have been totally screwed! I was 150 miles from home and the bike died while I was going down the road with my wife as my passenger. I called Scoobyvroom. He looked up Brodie's very detailed photos. I used Gramps' tools and got going again.

Thanks guys!

Shame on Yamaha.

...now back to looking for the link to report this.

edit: Found it! www.safercar.gov