Can't trust center stand, either.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil

Reaction score
Being the good father I am, I parked my FJR under a shade tree in the back yard today to change the oil/filter. Only the best for my bike . . . . Mobil 1 - 15W50. Pulled 'er up on the center stand for safety, and to help read the oil level window accurately, don't ya know. Got the new filter installed and replaced the drain plug, when "bloop", the big bitch falls over on her right side. The trunk of the shade tree removes a considerable slice of the paint on the right-side hard bag.

You guys are right -- a 150-lb. weakling CAN upright a 600-lb. scooter, especially when he/she is sufficiently pissed off. It seems that the soil is very soft in my yard, although we haven't had rain since Hurrican Ike passed nearby. And if you look carefully at the center stand, you will notice that the side-bar sticks way-out on the left side, so it's near impossible for the scoot to fall to the left. But the right side is tucked way in under the frame. So now I know to park only on hard surfaces, and use plywood or something if parking in the grass. Yep, I'm a dumb-ass. Please don't follow my lead. phil

Must....resist......urge.....to.....change.....title. :blink:

This isn't an issue that you can't trust the center stand my friend. It's working exactly as designed. This is an issue that you can't trust the ground you tried to deploy it on! It doesn't matter whether you use side stand, center stand, or The Force....you have got to make sure of the surface before you deploy said device.

I do feel bad you've got a tore up bike, but are you sure you want to keep that title? It's not Friday, but that's the kind of thread summary that is going to attract attention from all manner of flying forum insect. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
but are you sure you want to keep that title? It's not Friday, but that's the kind of thread summary that is going to attract attention from all manner of flying forum insect. ;)
Let the crusifixion begin. I already said I was a dumb-ass.

but are you sure you want to keep that title? It's not Friday, but that's the kind of thread summary that is going to attract attention from all manner of flying forum insect. ;)
Let the crusifixion begin. I already said I was a dumb-ass.
Phil....you are far too kind and polite with yourself..... :eek:

My momma says, "Stupid is as stupid does!" ;)

:rofl:

My guess is that no amount of dog piling can equal how bad Phil already feels. My VFR was down the same way (fudge brownie tarmac) less than an hour after I had it home for the first time. At least it got it's first vaporized mirror out of the way.

I feel for you brother. Good news is, fourteen years later and it's a lot more fun to talk about.

Ride well,

FjrVfr

Leave it alone. Can't you see he is beating himself up already..... :glare:

Phil:

Point is received.....you know better the next time.....despite the Title.

Lets see......... an Okie ...... deployed stand in the dirt........... didn't notice it sinking in.......... bike fell over....

..... my spidie senses are tingling :p :eek: ......

The same thing happened to me...

DSCF2144.jpg