Canyon Carving

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Califoniyahman!

Reaction score
Hey Owners!

Just wondering about trying out the roads and drives around Big Bear CA. Looks like alot of twisties there on

Google Map. Any suggestions as what roads are the nicest and a must try?.

I am coming from Palm Springs around the last week of July so am trying to figure out a nice one way trip back to Alberta Canada

from Borrego Springs CA. Will be trying out Hwy 36 from Fortuna to Red Bluff on the way down but if its as good as all the biker forums

suggest, I might take it again going back to Canada.

Anyone know the Big Bear area well?. Let me know. Should have some more questions too. How is the forest fire situation right now?.

Californiyahman!

Hey Owners!

Just wondering about trying out the roads and drives around Big Bear CA. Looks like alot of twisties there on

Google Map. Any suggestions as what roads are the nicest and a must try?.

I am coming from Palm Springs around the last week of July so am trying to figure out a nice one way trip back to Alberta Canada

from Borrego Springs CA. Will be trying out Hwy 36 from Fortuna to Red Bluff on the way down but if its as good as all the biker forums

suggest, I might take it again going back to Canada.

Anyone know the Big Bear area well?. Let me know. Should have some more questions too. How is the forest fire situation right now?.

Californiyahman!
Have some really great SoCal ride ideas. How much time are you willing to spend?

W2

Here is a nice route hitting most of the good roads between Borrego and Big Bear. One thing to consider is the temperature it is going to be in the low 100's in Borrego and Palm Springs. Big Bear will be cooler but in July it will be hot.

route clicky

Here is a nice route hitting most of the good roads between Borrego and Big Bear. One thing to consider is the temperature it is going to be in the low 100's in Borrego and Palm Springs. Big Bear will be cooler but in July it will be hot.

route clicky

Personally, unless you REALLY want to see the sand in the desert, I’d bypass Borrego Springs at that time of year.

I usually improvise and have fun along the way (U-Turns are part of the fun). If you head to Malibut and Hwy 1 south to Hwy 27, that sets you up for Mulholland Dr. toward he\wy 2. Something like this:

1. Coming south into the LA/Orange Counties, head out to Malibu – always beautiful – hook up with Hwy 1 and then north on 27 to Mulholland Dr (right). I tried doing this as an add-on to ynotride’s post but Google Map cut me off.

2. Following Mulholland Dr to 170/101 North

3. Barham Rd. East

4. Forest Lawn Rd. Right

5. 134 East

6. 2 North

7. 210 east

8. 2 north

9. Then continue on to ynoride’s route.

Sorry it’s a bit chopped up but I’m not good with the Google maps. But if you check the general directions I’ve given you and study the map, you’ll get the idea. It’s a GREAT SOCAL ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are feeling more like a mountain ride you make your way up the 395 to Angeles Crest/Forest highway

N. on the 14

R on Rosamond Blvd

R on Tehachapi/willow springs rd

L on High line (make your way to Tehachapi/caliente rd)

W on the 58 towards bakersfield

R on caliente Bodfish

L on Woodford Heights rd

Unless you want to go through the Sequioas, then there is a different route but either way will dump you out on the back side of Bakersfield, from there back to the 1 and up the coast to meet the boys up in Sacremento.

If you really do find yourself in Palm Springs, don't forget the Palms to Pines highway (CA-74). It will take you up to Idylwild (much cooler than PS), but away from Borrego Springs (you'll need to loop back down CA-79 and 78). I would also recommend lunch at the Julian Pie Company (intersection of CA-78 and 79 in Santa Ysabel). They have great buffalo burgers, and of course great pie!

I would start with ynotride's route. This drops you on I-15 near Cajon Pass then take CA-138 to CA-2 and follow MojaveFJR's route. You will have hit nearly half of the best roads in Southern California that way. You might also hit the roads up to Mt. Palomar off of CA-76 near the start of ynotride's route.

Take it from a local 'Eh, Hwy 36 is fun, Hwy 299 & 96 should not

be missed, both spectacular, the west end of 36 this time of

year is about 65 degs, the east end is the OVEN! 100+ degs.

Do hollar if you get thru Eureka! Cold one at the Sea Grill!

FWFE

I just went thru Eureka last wednesday, didn't see no bear on a sea grill?????????

By the way, one of my new favorite roads is Highway 1 from Leggett to Fort Bragg...... :fan_1: :fan_1: :fan_1: :fan_1: what a road and also one of the best kept i might add.

R

Last edited by a moderator: