• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Carbon Fibre Tank Protector Group Buy 15% Off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add shipping/insurance from Down Under, and it should be more on the order of $210 -$225 for the full set.
I wonder how much it costs to have a tank repainted?

I wonder how much it costs to get a brand new tank?
The problem with repainting the tank is when would you repaint it... after one scratch? maybe two? when it starts rusting at the scratches?

The cost of a new tank $602.38 If this discount doesn't fly I may just buy anyhow!
You can usually fleaBay a tank cheaper than that I'm afraid :/ I'm not knockin this group buy, it's pretty cool stuff. I can just think of a number of things I'd rather spend $225 on, like putting that towards the suspension upgrade. But hey, that's just me and I haven' stepped up to the plate yet on that either.

It's xmas time and I have (4) kids to spoil first :)

I haven't reached ten people yet but have sent an e-mail to Geelong to see if they will work with what I've got. Hope to hear back within the next day or so. I've also posted this up over on ST.N to see if anyone over there might be interested.

Add shipping/insurance from Down Under, and it should be more on the order of $210 -$225 for the full set.
I wonder how much it costs to have a tank repainted?

I wonder how much it costs to get a brand new tank?
The problem with repainting the tank is when would you repaint it... after one scratch? maybe two? when it starts rusting at the scratches?

The cost of a new tank $602.38 If this discount doesn't fly I may just buy anyhow!
You can usually fleaBay a tank cheaper than that I'm afraid :/ I'm not knockin this group buy, it's pretty cool stuff. I can just think of a number of things I'd rather spend $225 on, like putting that towards the suspension upgrade. But hey, that's just me and I haven' stepped up to the plate yet on that either.

It's xmas time and I have (4) kids to spoil first :)
It's all personal choice. After scratching the shit out of the tank on my FZ6 I wanted something to protect the tank on my FJR. It will cost me around $200 to get the FZ tank repainted. Not worth the trouble IMO. I liked the looks of these over all the other options and it seems they will last longer then the Tankslapper kit.

Plus an eBay tank is most likely going to be less than perfect if it's a used tank. I realize these tank protectors aren't for everyone. I'm not into the whole carbon fibre thing but I like these for some reason.

I may be able to throw my hat in on this one to give you 9 people. When do we have to pay and how is the payment made to them?

I may be able to throw my hat in on this one to give you 9 people. When do we have to pay and how is the payment made to them?
You can pay by credit card. That would probably be the best and safest way to do it IMO. Since I don't have ten people yet I contacted them to see if they would still do a group buy. They said for the number of people we have they could do 10% instead of 15%. If I can get ten or more people it would be 15% off. Under 10 people it would be 10% off.

Once I have a confirmed list of people I will make arrangements for a time frame when orders can be placed. All orders would be placed direct with Geelong and shipped direct to you. They are willing to combine orders to save on shipping if ayone wants to go in and order together. Meaning two people order and ship to one location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices with the 10% discount are as follows (All prices are USD):

Tank protector in black

$85

Tank protector in any other color

$99

Side tank protectors in black

$62 each ( two are required so total cost would be $124)

Side tank protectors any other color

$76 each ( two are required so total cost would be $152)

Shipping is approx $25 to the U.S. Prices may fluctuate slightly with exchange rates. I wouldn't expect the prices to change more than a buck or two.

Just a thought, if we could push the G.B. back a bit timeframe-wise, $$ are a bit tight around the holidays, there might be a couple more who would jump in. Just a thought, and good job on the group buy!

Just a thought, if we could push the G.B. back a bit timeframe-wise, $$ are a bit tight around the holidays, there might be a couple more who would jump in. Just a thought, and good job on the group buy!
I'm thinking the same thing. I've had a couple guys back out already with the change in the discount to 10%. I've now got less than 7 people. Doesn't look like this is going to happen.

I don't look in this column often enough. I'm in!

My MagKnight is toast after 2 years. The faux C/F starts peeling off. The top tank protector was ruined by the magnetic tank bag in a few months.

Yeah, baby, get the real C/F. :yahoo:

Oh, did I mention i'm spending my children's inheritance? :rolleyes:

I'm thinking the same thing. I've had a couple guys back out already with the change in the discount to 10%. I've now got less than 7 people. Doesn't look like this is going to happen.

How about in a couple of months?

I'll still paying for the last couple of farkles.... :eek: (

This bike is worse than a Harley!

with my Harley, most of the stuff was either useful (ok, bags, shield, pipes, more lights...normal stuff) or comfortable (bars, seat)...

My FJR has way more stuff on it than my Harley does!

I even got mounts on the Harley and the Triumph for the GPS! Would NEVER have bought one if I didnt' have the FJR!

Mary

My FJR has way more stuff on it than my Harley does! I even got mounts on the Harley and the Triumph for the GPS! Would NEVER have bought one if I didnt' have the FJR!

Mary

Winter months I spend in farkles.... Summer months I spend in motels...

Okay.....its getting to be the end of Feb. Is it time to awaken this thread from its Winter slumber? Do you think too many will be singing the "Taxes Blues"? I've gotten so many Skyway goodies I need to balance things out.

ej, where'd you go, man?

Yep, I'm still around. Just been super busy at work the past few months. If I could get enough interest I'm sure we could get something together. Had too many people back out last time.

Here's another option:

Contact a vehicle wrap company and have them install a wrap on the tank in carbon fibber vinyl. I have mine being scheduled and with five to ten year vinyl it is going to cost between $85 and $100 (depending on time to install as this is his first FJR.