Carpal Tunnel Operation?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had both wrists done in 1998 after suffering for 5 years. The numbness would set in and then turn to pain within minutes before getting them fixed. The pain would wake me up in the night and I would have to hang my arms off the bed to get back to sleep.

I watched while the doctor cut and it took less than 20 minutes each. He showed me the inflamed nerve bundle and the cuts he made to open up the carpal tunnel. I had them done a couple months apart so I could still use one hand while the other was bandaged.

It took about a year before the damaged nerves had time to grow back and I don't have any symptoms now.

I had nerve conduction tests and physical therapy as part of the diagnosis. I have also had nerve conduction tests done after with normal results compared to horrible readings before the surgery.

I would recommend getting it done before permanant nerve damage occurs.

I was diagnosed in 1987 I think. I suffered with it for 10 years doing stuff like the splints, motrin, mobic, PT everything. I never had any pain, but my hand would go to sleep. If I rode for more than 10 miles, my right was alseep, anything over 50 and the entire arm from the elbow down was numb. What really bothered me was the pins and needles feeling after it started to come back. Even worse was doing my job I had at that time. I was a jet engine mechanic and tightening or loosening bolts (there are a LOT of them on a jet engine!) my hand would go to sleep. If I happened to drop a bolt or nut in the engine because of it, I was in for it. WOuld have to tear the engine down to retrieve it.

Anyway, the military docs did a carpal tunnel release. I was in and out in less than an hour, I think. They put the lower half of my forarm in a cast type splint to keep it from moving around. I think I had that on for about a month. Been mostly fine ever since. I no longer have a problem with my right hand going numb unless I tighten the strap on my glove too much. I make it a point to try to remember to leave the straps on both gloves a little loose. After I secure the gloves and zip up the sleeves on the jacket, its usually tight enough without being too tight. Thats what causes either of my hands to go numb when I ride now.

I had CTS for several years in both wrists and it was quite painful. I had resorted to wearing the wrist braces on both arms at night (so I could sleep because the pain was bothering me so much) and most of the time during the day so I didn't aggravate the condition. I was seeing a chiropractor for my back (he was quite helpful with that) and I asked him if he could do anything for CTS. He worked on my shoulders a little, worked on my elbows a little, and then adjusted my wrists. I felt immediate relief and after 3 weeks the CTS completely disappeared and has not recurred. That was over 10 years ago. I'm a believer in what a good chiropractor can do.

I hurt my hand in an accident at work two years ago. As a result I developed carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist. I had the cps relief surgery performed about 1 1/2 years ago. It was a good decision. I have no problem with that hand at all and I use my hands hard in my job - I'm a mechanic.

My brother-in -law had both wrists done. He's completely satisfied that he did.

A word of advice, take the physical therapy sfterwards seriously. It'll do a lot to speed your recovery and give you better results.

I am wondering, how many of you are physicians, and how many are psychic. Seems to be a few who miraculously diagnosed the problem and the cure for others without even donning a rubber glove and asking them to cough! Amazing! What's it cost per visit?

Something to keep in mind, every body (meaning every "body") is different despite the similarities. Those that have had CTS relieved by massage, hot water, exercises, medications, etc, were fortunately able to remedy the problem by the lesser means... that's good! Some went the surgical route by choice or by physician's recommendation. In some cases it worked, in others maybe not as hoped. The important thing to keep in mind is that NO ONE should seek a medical decision on a website that is not specific to that "MEDICAL issue".... Sure, ask around to see who did what and how did they fare... but for some one here to say that surgery is bunk, or wrong is just irresponsible and may unwittingly cause someone to "not get" the real and important answer. By the same measure just because it DID work for someone that is no reason to say it's the only way to go. SEE A DOCTOR, maybe two, maybe three... then decide.

I don't mean to harp or sound like a dick, but when it comes to a tick in the Feejer motor, farkles, tire choices, etc, this is the place to ask,... BUT whether to undergo the knife, as "simple a procedure as it often is" should not even be entertained by a thread here, unless it's a post-treatment thread about how it went, was the nurse hot, and how the hand feels after the first ride...

Your experience will NEVER be the same as someone elses... even if they are both good experiences. Scaring or influencing someone's decision on this is just wrong.

*steps down off soap box, opens a Pepsi... prepares for verbal retaliation*

Chris

I don't mean to harp or sound like a dick
You missed the mark! ;)

Just kidding, I venture to say that this thread was more of a sitting around the bar and asking some buds what they think about CTS and if they have had the surgery than looking for trusted medical opinions.

Now me personally, I believe everything I read on the internet and take it to heart. Now excuse me while I go forward an email to 100 people so I don't have 10 years of bad luck. Hey where's that check from Microsoft for sending all those emails last month? :eek:k:

Damned! Missed again!

I just see so many people nowadays spewing "medical advice" because tv commercials are learnin' them the names of drugs and procedures... I have been too close to seeing someone who took "online advice" and it wasn't pretty. My background makes me leary of this "common man playing doctor" mentality that the drug companies like to push.

That's really all I was trying to say. See a doctor, then tell us about it on Friday so the bashing can begin..

C

I have CTS in both hands. Thankfully, my left is worse than my right.

While leaving the doctors office and setting a date for my surgery, a nurse recommended that I try vitamin B6 first.

Over 15 years later, I still have not had surgery. The numbness has not gone away completely, but it is tollerable. If I would take my B6 everyday, I probably wouldn't have any numbness, or at least it would be decreased. However, the symptoms go away, and I quit taking it. When the symptoms return, I remember to take it again.

If you read up on what B6 does for you, you will find that it helps the central nervous system repair itself. I would definately try the B6 before I committed to surgery. It may work for you too.

Twenty years on the right, two on the left. both are 100%. An I rub one off several times a week.

Musta been a good surgeon :D

nite!!

:jester: