Carrizo plain?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzkenoman

Reaction score
carrizo.jpg

The east side of the Carrizo plain, in the Temblor

Range, about 50 miles due west of Bakersfield ,

California . Photo taken by Barbara Mathews

May 14. 2005

Does anyone know exactly where this place is, I'd like to visit this area.

ZZ, check www.blm.gov/ca/bakersfield/carizzo
Easy one day trip for our area. I would like to do it also.
czorec5.jpg

I'd like to ride thru that elkhorn road, any thoughts to which road would be the best to view the valley?

ZZ's Carrizo Plain map captures the northernmost to southernmost "gates" of this route quite well. After several years riding past the terminix of Soda Lake Road at Hwy 166 (wondering what really lay beyond), a few buds and I did a grand sweep 6 years ago starting from Ventura County by entering from the north and the Land Of Poso. In 2000, obviously I wasn't FJR mounted. Actually worse from my normally anal-retentive mindset. That particular day, I rode a nearly new H-D Ultra Classic with chromed front forks et al, having left more (cosmetically speaking) disposable bikes behind. Soda Lake Road wasn't 4x4 rough by any means, just mostly unpaved. How slow must one ride to avoid peppering bodywork and bright bits of a $22K bike? Let's just say that I'd rather have been dual sport mounted while enjoying bountiful vistas and watching antelope graze nearby. On that warmish day, I had to maintain speeds much faster than ideal to prevent air cooled engine melt down of Milwaukee's finest. I would truly enjoy that route again, just not on a H-D (or a pristine FJR)!

I stumbled my way down Soda Lake Road on a pristine borrowed FJR. I can't say I recomend it, unless you like long straight dirt roads.... although the surface was excellent as far as dirt roads go. Make sure you're gassed up before you get there. I was on fumes by the time I got to some fuel. Oh, and I didn't see any colors like that when I was there in June '05 (a month after that pic was taken). I did see lots of shades of brown though.

Bypass SodaLake road on an FJR.. Keep heading west on 58 then turn right (north) on Bitterwater road. The vistas are better, the road is twistier, the passes and views are higher and better. It's open range so keep your eyes open for Mr. Bull and Mrs. Cow. Rode that road this morning and saw a herd of gazelle looking creatures. Clocked them at just under 50. Bitterwater road will eventually take you back to highway 41/46, just south of the James Dean memorial. Bitterwater is half marked, half unmarked e.g. no centerstripe. The ride this AM there were zero, nada, zip vehicles on it except me. Leave SodaLake for O'vale and his new dualsport... :D Not to say the road is not passable on the FJ, just that you stand a fair to good chance of doing cosmetic damage. Some don't care, some do.

This is just one of what used to be my secret backroads. No worries, I have many others. ;)

Bypass SodaLake road on an FJR.. Keep heading west on 58 then turn right (north) on Bitterwater road. The vistas are better, the road is twistier, the passes and views are higher and better. It's open range so keep your eyes open for Mr. Bull and Mrs. Cow. Rode that road this morning and saw a herd of gazelle looking creatures. Clocked them at just under 50. Bitterwater road will eventually take you back to highway 41/46, just south of the James Dean memorial. Bitterwater is half marked, half unmarked e.g. no centerstripe. The ride this AM there were zero, nada, zip vehicles on it except me. Leave SodaLake for O'vale and his new dualsport...  :D Not to say the road is not passable on the FJ, just that you stand a fair to good chance of doing cosmetic damage. Some don't care, some do.
This is just one of what used to be my secret backroads. No worries, I have many others.  ;)
There ya go!

And DEFINITELY STAY OFF SODA LAKE ROAD!!!! Don't ask. <_< Do however detour down to the lake from 58 - it's paved. Might make for some nice pictures. However, with the late rains, I doubt the amount of flora will be anywhere near as rich as your photo above.

Last edited by a moderator:
:agent: Wow looks like a great ride. Count me in. When you get the plan.

Hey Dave you get your new FJR yet ? Give us a report when you do.

Ride safe.

Thanks, Dan in Yucaipa

Dan & ZZ

Have not received the 06 AE yet, due in May?? Can you guys do the ride up to Carizzo this Sunday as a roundtrip? I think this is the best time for me. Leave early in the morning around 0700 and book it up I 5/CA166 to New Cuyama CA(about 3 hours) then to the west for flower sniffin. Please let me know.

No, I don't know where this is, and I am Dumbfounded! I've never seen a canyon, hillside, creekbed, prairie, or planter box so adorned with color, and in my county to boot? I think the rains last year had much to do with this verdency, as there is nothing quite like this up here now (yet?)!

I defer to Dcarver (Hi Don!) on this one as he is a "local" to the Carrisa Plain. I am merely a native who was wiened in the urba/agra/centro/econo/matrix of the Central Coast over the past 30 years!

I hope the flowers turn out to what "proposes" to be an astonishing ride for all who participate! :D

PS. I still recall something about what I thought I knew a second ago, but I find I often have to describe it in English and I can't quite smell it?

Dan & ZZ
Have not received the 06 AE yet, due in May??  Can you guys do the ride up to Carizzo this Sunday as a roundtrip?  I think this is the best time for me.  Leave early in the morning around 0700 and book it up I 5/CA166 to New Cuyama CA(about 3 hours) then to the west for flower sniffin.  Please let me know.
Dave this weekend I'll be riding with a group to the Yumma Prison Run

https://www.yumaprisonrun.com/

A charity event that gives to alot of kids (i.e. make a wish, etc), so we will be leaving Sat morning and returning sunday. Otherwise the following weekend is Solvang, and I am thinking of riding around the carrizo loop possibly before going to Solvang. How are you health wise, doing better? You know we worry about your condition and hope you get stronger every day Dave.

Dan & ZZ
Have not received the 06 AE yet, due in May??  Can you guys do the ride up to Carizzo this Sunday as a roundtrip?  I think this is the best time for me.  Leave early in the morning around 0700 and book it up I 5/CA166 to New Cuyama CA(about 3 hours) then to the west for flower sniffin.  Please let me know.
Hey Dave,

If I can get a kitchen pass, I'll do it with you !! Be good to meet you.

I'll talk with BigDolma to see if he want's to come along.

Of course, I'm assuming that you know where we're going - heck, if I took point, we'd end up in New Jersey !!

I'll give you a call tonight, ok?

Hal

Dan & ZZ
Hey Dave,

If I can get a kitchen pass, I'll do it with you !! Be good to meet you.

I'll talk with BigDolma to see if he want's to come along.

Of course, I'm assuming that you know where we're going - heck, if I took point, we'd end up in New Jersey !!

I'll give you a call tonight, ok?

Hal
Hal, give me a call tonight after 7:30pm. I will be out until then. Look forward to talking, meeting and riding with you.

Dave.

Bypass SodaLake road on an FJR.. Keep heading west on 58 then turn right (north) on Bitterwater road. The vistas are better, the road is twistier, the passes and views are higher and better. It's open range so keep your eyes open for Mr. Bull and Mrs. Cow. Rode that road this morning and saw a herd of gazelle looking creatures. Clocked them at just under 50. Bitterwater road will eventually take you back to highway 41/46, just south of the James Dean memorial. Bitterwater is half marked, half unmarked e.g. no centerstripe. The ride this AM there were zero, nada, zip vehicles on it except me. Leave SodaLake for O'vale and his new dualsport...  :D Not to say the road is not passable on the FJ, just that you stand a fair to good chance of doing cosmetic damage. Some don't care, some do.
This is just one of what used to be my secret backroads. No worries, I have many others.  ;)
Dan,

Kaitsdad, Hans and I should arrive at Bitterwater RD and CA 58 o/a 1030 Sunday morning 23 April. Taking your advice on a route to flower sniff. Want to meet up with us??

B) Hey Turbo Dave , I would like to go but made plans for Sunday to go to Glen Helen to watch the 4 stroke Motocross nationals with my family and friends.

Catch you all next time, ride safe. I hear it might be wet.

Thanks, Dan

Hiway 58 and Shell Creek Road is another nice route. Shell Creek is West of Bitterwater and will lead you to Shandon.

Given your route, you can gps navigate your way from Shandon back to Shell Creek and 58.. then take 58 to Santa Margarita /101 or back to the valley and I5.

D#$Mn night shift anyway.. I'd be with ya guyz. 58/Bitterwater is only ~30 miles from my ranch..