Caseless in Seattle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed

Reaction score
:thumbsupsmiley:

Well one morning last week after a lot of rain during the previous days commute the bike was really dirty. I especially felt the need to clean off the lighting, mirrors and windshield at the very least so off came the side cases and the quick wash started. It was time to go and I had not cleaned off the cases yet so left them home for the day and off to work.

Wow, their really is a sport bike hiding behind those cases!

My previous bike being the BMW LT ( Light Truck ) I had grown accustomed to always having storage and had a mental block about considering riding FJR without them. But it was such a pleasure not to have that extra weight on the bike that it will demand a repeat during some of the day rides I would like to take in the next few months. Maybe find some place under the seat to stow the tire plug kit and or some other essentials.

I'm sure some of you probably ride this way often but if you haven't I encourage you to try it. It also encouraged me to check out what was in the cases just to make sure I haven't been hauling things around I don't need.

Enjoy the ride

You mean to tell me that the cases come OFF?????? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am always mystified when folks think that the FJR handles sportier w/o the (empty) bags. If those cases are empty... what do they weight... maybe 7 lbs a piece? I've always assumed that it is a mind over matter thing.

Agreed about the looks... but not about handling. & me... I like to look like I'm with the pipe & slippers crowd. Bags are always on.

I spent an hour fitting 'essentials' under the rider and passenger seats so I could ride with or without the cases as desired. With some extreme-Tetrising, I was able to fit a complete aftermarket tool kit, Cycle Pump, tire repair kit, and manuals under the seats (mine is in low setting, BTW). I keep a map, Scala Rider pod, earplugs, and registration in the front compartment.

I'll be posting pics of the underseat arrangement to my blog in a few days.

RwP

fjrlife.blogspot.com

I am always mystified when folks think that the FJR handles sportier w/o the (empty) bags. If those cases are empty... what do they weight... maybe 7 lbs a piece? I've always assumed that it is a mind over matter thing.
Agreed about the looks... but not about handling. & me... I like to look like I'm with the pipe & slippers crowd. Bags are always on.
Don't know for sure but perhaps it has to do with the riders weight. For example if a rider is in the 160-190 lbs range and rides with the cases adding say another 15 or 20 pounds you are still well within the fun zone capabilities of the FJR. But if you are a big guy in the 300+ range ( purely hypothetical! ) then maybe adding or taking off the side cases makes a more pronounced difference because your loading the bike just past the fun zone.

think about it. I expect that it is a mind over matter thing. 15-20 lbs off a well balanced bike who's weight is low to begin with? You really think that would make a difference? Really?

Regardless of the weight, it just "feels" better to occasionally ride around sans bags. That way we can at least pretend we are on the sportier side of things. I rode it this way last week and loved it, until I couldn't find anywhere to stash my helmet, rain pants, etc. Oh well.

Local traffic enforcement would like to see a bagless crotch rocket heading toward their radar gun...

see other thread of warning issued to our "touring" bike because of the with bags look...

just sayin' :rolleyes:

I had my bags off for a couple of weeks when Garauld was repainting them, and I know I felt much sportier, younger, and faster with them off!! :rolleyes:

No place for all my s__t, tho.

Those bags keep a lot of road spray off your legs.

I mean, since you're in Seattle... Just sayin'...

<_<

Bags are always on.

I don't go anywhere without my bags, but we might be talking about something different. . . . :blink:

But seriously, folks - - - I never ride without the bike luggage, either. I need a place to stow the rain suit, and this time of year, the liners for the gear. The top case carries my laptop, or 40 bucks worth of groceries on the way home.

think about it. I expect that it is a mind over matter thing. 15-20 lbs off a well balanced bike who's weight is low to begin with? You really think that would make a difference? Really?
I disagree. Twenty plus pounds is a significant difference on the street, and a major difference on the track. Now if you are just puttering around, then it probably matters zero. I never ride my FJR with the cases on, unless I'm going on a multi-day trip. I also have a Corbin seat and a smuggler trunk that replaces the passenger seat, and this makes the FJR look totally different, especially without the cases on. It really does look like one big, bad sport bike. Heck, if my FJR were not in the shop getting the ignition switch replaced, I would be riding instead of typing.

Bags are always on.

I don't go anywhere without my bags, but we might be talking about something different. . . . :blink:

But seriously, folks - - - I never ride without the bike luggage, either. I need a place to stow the rain suit, and this time of year, the liners for the gear. The top case carries my laptop, or 40 bucks worth of groceries on the way home.
This time of year in Seattle area you are always wearing the rain suit and liners! But I hear what your saying about the laptop and groceries.

My cases are very seldom on my bike. All I carry is a tank bag for small items and if I need more, then I strap-on a backpack. The side cases are ONLY on the bike when I have to carry a lot of something. Not to mention that the damn bike looks better with the side-cases off.

My cases are very seldom on my bike. All I carry is a tank bag for small items and if I need more, then I strap-on a backpack. The side cases are ONLY on the bike when I have to carry a lot of something. Not to mention that the damn bike looks better with the side-cases off.
My sidecases are always on my bike but you're right - the FJR is one of the few (if only) sport tourer that still looks good without the bags.

Don't know for sure but perhaps it has to do with the riders weight. For example if a rider is in the 160-190 lbs range and rides with the cases adding say another 15 or 20 pounds you are still well within the fun zone capabilities of the FJR. But if you are a big guy in the 300+ range ( purely hypothetical! ) then maybe adding or taking off the side cases makes a more pronounced difference because your loading the bike just past the fun zone.
I would tend to percieve exactly the opposite: or in otherwords, the weight of the [empty] bags would be equal to a larger % of a lighter rider's bodyweight than it would to a heavier rider's, and as the rider's weight is proportionally the largest variable in this equation, the change would consequently be noticed more by a lighter rider.

Regardless of the weight, it just "feels" better to occasionally ride around sans bags. That way we can at least pretend we are on the sportier side of things. I rode it this way last week and loved it, until I couldn't find anywhere to stash my helmet, rain pants, etc. Oh well.
At 63yrs, I quit pretending I was 'sporty' years ago...

Local traffic enforcement would like to see a bagless crotch rocket heading toward their radar gun...
see other thread of warning issued to our "touring" bike because of the with bags look...

just sayin' :rolleyes:
+1

No Bags=less wind resistance=bike performs better?
When you're as big as I am, it's a moot point!

Bags are always on.

Ditto, factory hardbags were one of the 'must have items' in my pre-purchase bike-qualifications list! Truth be told, I actually like the way it looks better 'with' the bags!

My fascination w/ two-wheeled travel goes back to my youth, when I did a pretty fair amount of cycletouring [you know, ...the peddle kind], when I first started I didn't have proper racks & panniers so I used a handlebar bag & a rucksack [which was always uncomfortable]; one day a seasoned tourist told me "you know, the bike is the mule, not you"! I've never found a good argument for his point of view! Besides, if you ever put a hard item in the rucksack and proceed to bail & land on it, ...you won't like it!