cat crap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Works great on double lensed ski goggles, which is why I have a couple containers of it. Haven't had as much luck with it on single lens MC helmet shields. Better than nothing if it's just cold out, completely useless on a rainy ride, or at least, that's been my experience the very few times I've used it on the face shield.

I've tried a LOT of products and home-grown cures for fogging, and IMO Cat Crap is about the best of the ones I've tried. But that's not saying much. I'd say it worked fairly well for me, for a while. Pretty much one ride, then reapply. And only "fairly" well at that. Just to mention some that didn't--at ALL, there was one I bought at the big travelling Progressive International Motorcycle Show from a big booth with three or four carnival barker characters demoing the stuff on anybody wearing glasses. It seemed to work. Indoors, using steam from a kettle, on glasses. TOTALLY useless in the cold on a faceshield. Started with a "Z." Also tried--I think it was--Fog City. Came in little towelettes like b-b-q restaurant hand wipes. Not much better, if any. And expensive.

I finally gave in and sent for a Pinlock faceshield system for my Shoei Multitec. You buy a new faceshield that has the "pins," really little cams, mounted in the proper place on the helmet. That's around $40, but you need to buy new faceshields occasionally anyway, so it's not that bad. The oval-shaped Pinlock lens fits inside the shield and mounts on the two pins. It has a raised edge that forms against the inside of the shield and creates a dead-air space, exactly like dual-pane windows on your house. Amazingly, IT DOES NOT FOG UP. (You KNOW the newest converts are always the most enthusiastic, right?) That part was about $30 to $35, depending on your model and the vendor. I had to try it to be convinced, so I borrowed one, and was convinced in the first mile. Doesn't interfere with operation of the flip shield or anything, no distortion. I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried a LOT of products and home-grown cures for fogging, and IMO Cat Crap is about the best of the ones I've tried. But that's not saying much. I'd say it worked fairly well for me, for a while. Pretty much one ride, then reapply. And only "fairly" well at that. Just to mention some that didn't--at ALL, there was one I bought at the big travelling Progressive International Motorcycle Show from a big booth with three or four carnival barker characters demoing the stuff on anybody wearing glasses. It seemed to work. Indoors, using steam from a kettle, on glasses. TOTALLY useless in the cold on a faceshield. Started with a "Z." Also tried--I think it was--Fog City. Came in little towelettes like b-b-q restaurant hand wipes. Not much better, if any. And expensive.

I finally gave in and sent for a Pinlock faceshield system for my Shoei Multitec. You buy a new faceshield that has the "pins," really little cams, mounted in the proper place on the helmet. That's around $40, but you need to buy new faceshields occasionally anyway, so it's not that bad. The oval-shaped Pinlock lens fits inside the shield and mounts on the two pins. It has a raised edge that forms against the inside of the shield and creates a dead-air space, exactly like dual-pane windows on your house. Amazingly, IT DOES NOT FOG UP. (You KNOW the newest converts are always the most enthusiastic, right?) That part was about $30 to $35, depending on your model and the vendor. I had to try it to be convinced, so I borrowed one, and was convinced in the first mile. Doesn't interfere with operation of the flip shield or anything, no distortion. I love it.
+1!!! I've been wearing a Nolan N102, which came with the anti-fog insert, for about 3 years now. It has NEVER fogged up on me in ANY kind of weather. Now, I'm not sure how it works, but SacramentoMike's explanation seemed good...we'll go with that. It's worth the cash, no doubt in my mind.

The only time my pinlock has fogged is when it wasn't adjusted properly and wasn't sealed against the bottom of the visor. It fogged in between the pinlock and the visor. No easy fix there. .. Once adjusted again, was great again.

A +2 (to the tenth power) for the Pinlock system. I too tried EVERYTHING they sold to solve fogging ...and only the Pinlock worked...all the time, everytime.

The Cat Crap is fine if need to wear glasses in the hot tub... but just crap on a helmet visor.

KM

five bucks down the drain then...Well maybe I can use it on my scuba diving mask. Thanks for the heads up on the pinlock

five bucks down the drain then...Well maybe I can use it on my scuba diving mask. Thanks for the heads up on the pinlock
Hate to burst your bubble, but spit is still the best thing I've found for my dive mask. Cat crap is great on sunglasses, but pinlock is way to go for visor.

Spit works well but i usually use sea drops, which I tried on my visor also and didn't work to well either. Pinlock looks like the way to go.

Spit works well but i usually use sea drops, which I tried on my visor also and didn't work to well either. Pinlock looks like the way to go.
For you dive mask try this...spit in it and rub it around (THE DIVE MASK YA PERV!!!). Let it dry while you're getting ready for your dive. When you get in the water dip the mask once and dump the water out. It's cheaper then Sea Drops!

Oh, and yeah, the pin-lock thingy is the way to go. Don't spit in your helmet visor...

Oh, and yeah, the pin-lock thingy is the way to go. Don't spit in your helmet visor...

Great advice...I did sneeze on it though.