CB antenna and mount question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockiesRider

Livin la buena vida!!!
Reaction score
What is a good solution for a license plate mounting bracket and CB antenna?

What are you other folks using that is cost affective?

What is a good solution for a license plate mounting bracket and CB antenna?
What are you other folks using that is cost affective?
34yw4k6.jpg

okierider, this is what I did, however as you can see it's not mounted to the plate frame.

That's not your new bike petey.

What bike is it? I think it looks cool.

However, it gets in the way of mounting some luggage or bags to thet area.

Which is one reason I'd like a license plate mount.

Thanks!!

That's not your new bike petey.
What bike is it? I think it looks cool.

However, it gets in the way of mounting some luggage or bags to thet area.

Which is one reason I'd like a license plate mount.

Thanks!!
Yes, it was my '03....I hear you about mounting luggage. If you mount the antanna to the license plate frame, make sure you run a ground from the plate frame to the bike frame.

How bout here Okie.

IMGP0031-1.jpg

There is room under the rear rack to just drill thru and attach. Wires are completely hidden under the seat and luggage rack. My Firestik antenna is spring loaded and hardly moves at all in the wind. The plastic is about .375" thick where it's mounted. I would not mount anything that's not spring loaded because it would break the plastic if someone bent it. There is still room to mount luggage in front of the antenna(depending on how much luggage we are talking about.

Not exactly what you asked for, but take a look at my setup.

Firestick Firefly antenna.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, mounting it on the license plate bracket is asking the screws in theplastic fender to take a lot of abuse and hold too much weight x torque (from the wind against the attena).

I think you'd be better off to make an aluminum bracket you could secure to the luggage rack.

I'm running my J&M JMCB-2003 for rider & passenger with a J&M license plate bracket with 2' antenna from Clay's Radio

License plate mount CB antenna kit with 2 foot antenna (JM LPCBA-200)

The kit includes a license plate bracket, coax cable and antenna

List Price: $89.99 Our Price Only $77.99

For same price - option is to go with the 3 foot or 4 foot antenna

https://www.claysradioshop.com/jm_products_...nna_system.html

I believe I later found a cheaper price somewhere after googling - maybe Sierra Electronics

My license plate setup is as follows:

outside is a black plastic frame w/Yammy emblem off ebay

clear cover over the plate that prevents photo camera traffic setups from seeing the plate

license plate itself

billet aluminum frame

antenna mount on top 2 bolts, hyperlights brand mount on bottom 2 bolts

top 2 bolts attach to stock FJR license plate mount on rear fender

works well for me

Here are pics on the rear of my '04 FJR

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mholiver/

Hope this helps...

Mike in Nawlins'

"Riding is Life...Everything Before & After Is Just Waiting"

"The Best Pilots Have a Great Wingman"

"If you can't ride, drive, fly or sail it, why bother?"

"Go like Hell...worse that can happen is you go to Heaven"

I'm running my J&M JMCB-2003 for rider & passenger with a J&M license plate bracket with 2' antenna from Clay's Radio
License plate mount CB antenna kit with 2 foot antenna (JM LPCBA-200)

The kit includes a license plate bracket, coax cable and antenna

List Price: $89.99 Our Price Only $77.99

For same price - option is to go with the 3 foot or 4 foot antenna

https://www.claysradioshop.com/jm_products_...nna_system.html

I believe I later found a cheaper price somewhere after googling - maybe Sierra Electronics

My license plate setup is as follows:

outside is a black plastic frame w/Yammy emblem off ebay

clear cover over the plate that prevents photo camera traffic setups from seeing the plate

license plate itself

billet aluminum frame

antenna mount on top 2 bolts, hyperlights brand mount on bottom 2 bolts

top 2 bolts attach to stock FJR license plate mount on rear fender

works well for me

Here are pics on the rear of my '04 FJR

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mholiver/

Hope this helps...

Mike in Nawlins'

"Riding is Life...Everything Before & After Is Just Waiting"

"The Best Pilots Have a Great Wingman"

"If you can't ride, drive, fly or sail it, why bother?"

"Go like Hell...worse that can happen is you go to Heaven"

It helps a great deal...thanks

I'm not certain how cost effective but I had a custom luggage rack made by Garauld (a trusted member of the forum). I had my antenna mount incorporated into the luggage rack. On my 2005 FJR I used the J&M license plate bracket. That bracket worked well since I only had the 3 foot fiberglass antenna. The rear license plate is all mounted onto the plastic rear fender so there is some flex at speeds. On my 2006 FJR-AE I mounted a large trucker's antenna so I wanted the mount to be rock solid. Below is a link to my install post which contains pictures of my install. If you scroll through you'll see a couple nice shots of the luggage rack/mount.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...amp;hl=Predator

I am using one of these:
https://sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TFB-LPM

It works OK, but too close to the top box, so I added 2 inches of pipe insulation to the antenna to keep it from marking the top box.
I wonder, if I use firestik antenna, what distance should be between top box and antenna. I mean to protec it from hits by antenna of course.

What kind of antenna you have ?

I wonder, if I use firestik antenna, what distance should be between top box and antenna. I mean to protec it from hits by antenna of course.What kind of antenna you have ?
I use a Firestik two-footer. I figure, if you get the antenna three feet from the box, it won't hit ;-) Geometry dictates the higher you mount the Firestik, the less chance it will smack the box.

I figure, if you get the antenna three feet from the box, it won't hit ;-)
Thanks :D it really helps I have to reconsider point of mount :)

But, really ? It is always hitting box ? Even 2 footer ? My is 3 foot long. Maybe I will use some kind of rubber sticker to absorb hits.

Hi,

Brodie, could you show me, how did you do your CB Antenna Mount ? Maybe you have larger jpg ?
=========

Now ya done it......... Brodie will be out in his garage ... settin up lights... camera..... action shots

:yahoo: :yahoo: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

B.
Beat ya to it Brian, allready took a shot several weeks ago...

DSC00149.jpg

Zoltar, The structure is a custom flag mount for when I go on a PGR mission. I fabricated a lug and welded it to the upright as shown. When I add the flag post, the 3 foot firestick is about 1 inch ahead of it. Due to the lack of iron (steel) back there I went to a NGP antenna system. The co-ax is 17 feet long so I wrapped it up and store it inside the right side panel next to the ABS unit.

I posted the flag mount install here... Flag Mount

Hope it helps.

Brodie