CB antenna mounting with top case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txvoyager

Reaction score
I'm installing a J&M 2003 CB and am looking for a solution to mounting the antenna on a license plate mount but in such a way that the top case is not in the way. I'd really appreciate pictures of you get a chance to post some...

TIA...

Here is the best picture I have on hand. The J&M license plate holder with a 4' antenna. I made an additional support out of 1" flat stock aluminum. It gave the antenna additional support so it didn't wave so much. It is a piece of 1" flat stock aluminum. I drilled a hole at one end big enough to fit around the center support bolt of the trunk plate. The other end has a hole big enough to go over the antenna with a rubber grommet lining the hole. I also put a small pice of velcro on the flat stock and on the bottom of the plate to hold it in line with where I wanted the antenna to stay. Works great, the antenna dosen't rub the. I did have to bend the J&M support slightly to angle the antenna away from the bike (so it was not straight up and down).

1084IMG_2807a.jpg

in such a way that the top case is not in the way.

TIA...
When I tried a CB I attached mine to a plate that extended slightly behind my Pelican case. Pictures here. If I were to do a CB again--I'd use the setup again. I wouldn't do the license plate as it is a metal bracket...but it's attached to plastic that would flex too much IMO.

MW161228b.JPG

Last year I mounted a VHF/UHF antenna to the back of my FJR for my Amateur radio.

My dad and I mounted a piece of aluminum angle to an aluminum square tubing on the license plate mount. The square tubing spaces the angle part out far enough to clear to the pannier and the angle part is long enou that the antenna clears the top case - check out the photos ....

7051166995_da50afc7c6_z_d.jpg

7051166765_06b48c91e9_z_d.jpg

Sometimes, but not very often I hear the antenna hitting the side of the top case, but not enough to do anything about.

Ian