CCT removed seems to function ok in my hand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bleed the clutch and go from there. My Yamaha Roadstar used to be noisy in neutral but quieted down with the clutch pulled. Maybe a bit with the FJR but not significant. Never seemed to hurt anything on the RS.

What's the hot idle speed set at? FJRs make all sorts of ugly sounds (and stall) with too low idle speed.

Shoot for a fully warmed up hot idle of 1100-1200 RPM and see what that does to the noise.

--G

Escape,

My throttle is crap due to I can't find a routing with bends that make throttle nice and loose,,,, so with that said I can turn and throttle stick to 1200-1300 and zero noise.

How do I set idle when tank is on? Is it trial and error ?

Any trick to route throttle cables to not create so much drag as I have now ?

The drag on the throttle is likely because you don't have enough slack in the adjuster on the throttle cable. You need a couple mm free play at the grip or the cables may bind; especially with the bars turned.

How do I set idle when tank is on? Is it trial and error ?
#2 in the New Owners Read this section we suggested you read when you signed up. No need to do anything with the tank.

Warm the bike up, don't touch the throttle, and adjust to the RPM setting to what has been suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update. It's clutch related. I just started it, and decided to pull in clutch, it stops the noise.
I drove it, clutch acts fine. I do notice I have the lever on one, and I have to put the lever to the bar to disengage.

Anyone know ?
Besides bleeding the clutch (to fix the mushiness) pulling in the clutch ALSO stops one of the main transmission shafts from spinning.

Could be something as simple as a bearing, (part #15) failing or something deeper:

https://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2006/FJR13ABS+-+FJR13AV/CLUTCH/parts.html

I'd at least pull the clutch cover and make an inspection... Shouldn't be too hard to find as noisy as it is....

Ign,

I see no dial on rh side. I have no cowl on rh side presently, no screw deep in there either. This is a 2006.

Based on current symptoms, my guess is that this is your clutch basket damper springs are rattling. This is a common symptom on Suzuki DL1000's and SV10000's. If you look at the back side of the clutch basket you can see that there are six springs arranged around in a circle. These springs are supposed to cushion the power pulse delivery from the rapidly accelerating and decelerating crankshaft where it is directly gear coupled into the clutch basket. The springs are held in place by a riveted plate. The springs are not all activated at the same time, but rather are engaged progressively.

When you you pull in the clutch you remove the output load of the transmission input shaft, and change the mechanical resonance of the system. I would follow the prior advice and go in and get a look at the clutch parts. The good news is that if you ignore it, it probably won't become a big deal. But I'd want to know what it was regardless.

Town,

Thx, there is a plastic piece in way, part of the foil. Moved it, see it.

Need to get a security torc bit. That's the one in my set I broke year ago.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Fred W" data-cid="1377610" data-time="1504055181"><p>

Based on current symptoms, my guess is that this is your clutch basket damper springs are rattling. This is a common symptom on Suzuki DL1000's and SV10000's. If you look at the back side of the clutch basket you can see that there are six springs arranged around in a circle. These springs are supposed to cushion the power pulse delivery from the rapidly accelerating and decelerating crankshaft where it is directly gear coupled into the clutch basket. The springs are held in place by a riveted plate. The springs are not all activated at the same time, but rather are engaged progressively. <br />

<br />

When you you pull in the clutch you remove the output load of the transmission input shaft, and change the mechanical resonance of the system. I would follow the prior advice and go in and get a look at the clutch parts. The good news is that if you ignore it, it probably won't become a big deal. But I'd want to know what it was regardless.</p></blockquote>

Fred,

I'm going to try to raise idle to 1200 tomorrow. To see if no sound.

It probley is those springs at low rpm.

You shouldn't need a torx to adjust the idle. I don't remember but either by hand or a phillips head screw driver.

As there's really very little load on the idle screw, often an allan key will fit or simply the correct sized FLAT screwdriver.

(I know my old '04 didn't take a torx bit for the adjuster).

BTW, most torx "safety" screws(with the pin in the middle), that pin can be easily snapped off with a small screw driver inserted, and pried at.

Here's you clutch assembly along with the springs at the rear of the hub:

https://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2006/FJR13ABS+-+FJR13AV/CLUTCH/parts.html

Ok, your right,, it's not the torques. I took tank off. Rh side of bike I see nothing likw what I see in diagram.

I don't see idle screw...